Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 274
Registered: ‎07-27-2015

Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

I can't decide.... Should i apply both ? Barclay does seem more attractive with not only their no foreign transaction fees and no balance transfer fees (for life? )  but their 8% i think is forever on any balance transfer made at anytime while NASA 7.9% is only for balance transfers made in 90 days of opening the account. The problem is i am not sure Barclay would give such a limit i can actual use while NASA does ? anyone have both ? looks like im going have to go on a spree soon Smiley Tongue because i also want Chase Sapphire to go with my Freedom and upgrade my Barclay Rewards to Arrival + (no app there) not to mention US Bank Cash + so that would be a total of 4 hard inquiries and new accounts Smiley Tongue

 

 

 

LIMIT $105,700 utilization 6%
AAoA = 2years
Valued Contributor
Posts: 4,493
Registered: ‎11-28-2014
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

Go for it!  That Nasa Card looks AWESOME!!  Hope you get all of them!  That would be a good haul.  Smiley Wink


FICOS: EQ-812 TU-811 EX-818 Goal - 840-850 Across The Board
Total Credit Lines - 506K Gardening....
"I am the master of my fate and the captain of my destiny" Nelson Mandela
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,879
Registered: ‎01-10-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

[ Edited ]

Have and PIF both. It's kinda apples and oranges, for one, NASA's CU product is significantly less prone to AA if carry balances over time.

 

If want low APR cards, these two are serviceable but there are a handful a bit lower, so do your due diligence...for BT options 0% abound trumping 7.9 or 8 by far.

 

 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Established Contributor
Posts: 777
Registered: ‎08-12-2014
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

I recently got a ring card, honestly it was the no balance transfer fee that sold me. Even with 0% APR offers the ring still one out. Why? The balance transfer would have been more than the interest after the few months it will take to pay it off. Do the math to find out what's a better deal.
I don't know your profile or income but I was given a $12,500 SL on my ring card.
Regular Contributor
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎01-14-2013

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

that 7.9% for life at nasa is avialable anytime not just the first 30 days--i've used 3 times over the past 2 years--with no balance transfer it's a no brainer--just call in when you want to use it and ask for 7.9 for life--ANYTIME! current trade lines $272,050

Navy Siggy Cash Rewards 25K , Navy plat visa 25k,navy go 25k, Navy Check 15K, , USAA Am Exp 18K, USAA MC Rate Advantage 18K, Discover IT 18.5K, PayPal Extras MC 7.5K, Chase Military Star MC 2.5K, Military Star 8.05k, Wallmart discover 7.5k, Amex bce 25k,Boa cash rewards25k, southwest chase 4k, nasa cr 30k,nasa rew 5k,barc rewards 25k=279k+ scores 750 across the board
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 274
Registered: ‎07-27-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

[ Edited ]

OpenG wrote:
I recently got a ring card, honestly it was the no balance transfer fee that sold me. Even with 0% APR offers the ring still one out. Why? The balance transfer would have been more than the interest after the few months it will take to pay it off. Do the math to find out what's a better deal.
I don't know your profile or income but I was given a $12,500 SL on my ring card.

Well i do have some 0% intro cards offers on the table but may mean maxing it out if the limit not my desire level which is at least $10,000. I have a 15 months 0% APR from Blue Cash American Express ($150 when i spend $500) and 18 months 0% from WellsFargo.

 

Trying to figure this out what would one do in such situation. It seems maybe best to just roll over a balance every year onto a brand new 0% Intro card than taking up one of these life time 8% no balance transfer fee cards. (Barclay RING, NASA)  I am not sure but this what i came up with carrying a balance of $10,000 for 2 years if i were to do the following.... 

 

 

 

OPTION 1  

BARCLAY RING 8% APR 

or NASA lifetime 8% APR

$10,000 balance transfer 

24 monthly payments of $452

 $855 in fees. (8% interest charged) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------  2 years carrying a balance (24 months total)

$855 total fees

 

 

OPTION 2

DISCOVER IT 0% intro for 12 months

or FNBO 0% Intro for 12 months 

$10,000 balance transfer

12 monthly payments of $416

 $300 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

 

DISCOVER IT 0% intro for 12 months 

or FNBO 0% Intro for 12 months 

$5,008 balance transfer

12 monthly payments of $416

 $150 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 years carrying a balance (24 months total)

$450 total fees. 

 

 

OPTION 3

American Express Blue Cash 0% intro for 15 months

$10,000 balance transfer 

15 monthly payments of $416

 $300 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

 

US Bank Cash+  0% intro for 9 months

$3,760 balance transfer 

9 monthly payments of $417

 $112 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 years carrying a balance (24 months total)

$412 total fees. 

 

 

OPTION 4

Chase Slate 0% intro for 15 months

$10,000 balance transfer 

15 monthly payments of $416

 $0 in fees 

 

American Heritage Credit Union  4.99% 24 months  

or Valor Credit Union lifetime 5.99%

$3,760 balance transfer 

24 monthly payments of $156

 $184 in fees. (4.99% interest charged)

——————————————————————————— 3 years carrying a balance (39 months total)

$184 total fees (American Heritage) $221 total fees (Valor)

 

 

 

if my caculations are off please adjust accordingly. 

LIMIT $105,700 utilization 6%
AAoA = 2years
Established Contributor
Posts: 777
Registered: ‎08-12-2014
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

Looks like you have the right idea. I didn't check your math, but at a glance it looks right. For me I only have around 4k to transfer that I plan I paying off in 6mo, 8mo was the break even point for transfer fee vs interest. Interest one out. For you it looks like the other way. Option 2 or 3 are close enough that either would make sense. What about citi with 21mo 0% APR thrown in the mix.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 274
Registered: ‎07-27-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

[ Edited ]

OpenG wrote:
Looks like you have the right idea. I didn't check your math, but at a glance it looks right. For me I only have around 4k to transfer that I plan I paying off in 6mo, 8mo was the break even point for transfer fee vs interest. Interest one out. For you it looks like the other way. Option 2 or 3 are close enough that either would make sense. What about citi with 21mo 0% APR thrown in the mix.

Yes that too but i figured if im going to take a hard inquiry i might as well take a card i could benefit from and use afterwards such a reward card or something. Plus i never hear citi simpilicity giving such high limits of $10,000 or more. I wonder as another benefit if they too send special offers and balance tranfer checks often like Barclay does. BARCLAY sends me these white and blue checks offering months 0% for new balance transfers but they are my lowest limits among other cards i have and instead requesting a limit increase with a hard pull i thought i be better off applying for a new card that offers 0% intro on balance transfers. Speaking if barclay they offer me to call and upgrade rewards card to arrival + which ill see if they are willing to increase my limit without a hard inquiry. Because the annual fee waived for 1 year i like to make the most of it i can so i will wait to upgrade barclay rewards to the arrival when i think ill use  most which probably will be durring the holidays ...  thats when i usually apply for new cards due to the big bonuses that usually kicks in (around black friday). And the cards i had in mind were chase sapphire and us bank cash+ and chase sapphire does not offer 0% balance transfers but us bank does but for only 9 months however if i can get 2 chase cards with 1 hard inquiry maybe ill apply both chase sapphire and chase sapphire the same time (try to make the most from my hard inquiries)  than getting hit with 1 hard inquiry for 1 card (citi simplicity). I wonder if i could do that with barclay ring and arrival + but was going to upgrade Barclay Rewards instead and save me the hard inquiry for something else. 

LIMIT $105,700 utilization 6%
AAoA = 2years
Established Member
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎07-20-2015
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?

One item I've noticed about Nasa credit card BT, is that it's considered a cash advance transaction, so there's no grace period. At least, when I looked it up at their authorization forms. Anyone else chime in?
-=My Credit Journey=-
Rebuilding as of May 2014 - Fico 08 ~600 across the board.
As of Jan. 1, 2016: Fico 08 EQ695_EX692_TU713 & climbing!
Set goal: Fico 08 scores of 740+
From $300 CL to $103.5K TCL!
EQ 7 inq - EX 10 inq - TU 5 inq
Community Leader
Super Contributor
Posts: 7,632
Registered: ‎06-07-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Barclay ring 8% or NASA 7.9% ?


SebastianZzzzz wrote:

OpenG wrote:
I recently got a ring card, honestly it was the no balance transfer fee that sold me. Even with 0% APR offers the ring still one out. Why? The balance transfer would have been more than the interest after the few months it will take to pay it off. Do the math to find out what's a better deal.
I don't know your profile or income but I was given a $12,500 SL on my ring card.

Well i do have some 0% intro cards offers on the table but may mean maxing it out if the limit not my desire level which is at least $10,000. I have a 15 months 0% APR from Blue Cash American Express ($150 when i spend $500) and 18 months 0% from WellsFargo.

 

Trying to figure this out what would one do in such situation. It seems maybe best to just roll over a balance every year onto a brand new 0% Intro card than taking up one of these life time 8% no balance transfer fee cards. (Barclay RING, NASA)  I am not sure but this what i came up with carrying a balance of $10,000 for 2 years if i were to do the following.... 

 

 

 

OPTION 1  

BARCLAY RING 8% APR 

or NASA lifetime 8% APR

$10,000 balance transfer 

24 monthly payments of $452

 $855 in fees. (8% interest charged) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------  2 years carrying a balance (24 months total)

$855 total fees

 

 

OPTION 2

DISCOVER IT 0% intro for 12 months

or FNBO 0% Intro for 12 months 

$10,000 balance transfer

12 monthly payments of $416

 $300 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

 

DISCOVER IT 0% intro for 12 months 

or FNBO 0% Intro for 12 months 

$5,008 balance transfer

12 monthly payments of $416

 $150 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 years carrying a balance (24 months total)

$450 total fees. 

 

 

OPTION 3

American Express Blue Cash 0% intro for 15 months

$10,000 balance transfer 

15 monthly payments of $416

 $300 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

 

US Bank Cash+  0% intro for 9 months

$3,760 balance transfer 

9 monthly payments of $417

 $112 in fees. (3% balance transfer fee)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 years carrying a balance (24 months total)

$412 total fees. 

 

 

 

 

 

if my caculations are off please adjust accordingly. 


Popped into my Amazon Visa account, surprised to see a 0% transfer option until Oct 2016, 2% fee.  Think I will keep what I have.  Barclays has targeted offer, 2x miles on Aviator for 90 days, purchasing groceries, utilities and gas.

Starting score EQ SW 563 April 2014, Fico 8 EQ 801, EX 794, TU 805 (April 2016)

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.