Frequent Contributor
QAMngrGirl

Barclay's AA via Walmart Upgrade?

I opened a Barclay’s NFL Card last month. I opened a Walmart account in November ’12. So, if the “upgrade to Walmart Discover” option appears in my account in 6 months (or so), and I accept this offer:

1. Will this close the Walmart store card and open a new trade line? or will I have (2) trades?

2. If it is a new trade, will this new trade spook Barclay’s? &

3. Can I let the upgrade offer “sit” for a few months to avoid spooking Barclay’s or does it disappear if not used?

Thank you as always for any replies!

Start: Nov'12 EQ 699/EX 685/TU 696 / Current: April''14 EQ 715/EX 709/TU 709 * Goal 750+

Established Contributor
TiggerDat

Re: Barclay's AA via Walmart Upgrade?

When I asked about the Discover option I was told it does not happen often, that they do it about every two years.  I have also been told other things as well.  It should just be a product change and you keep the AAOA, so that should not spook Barclays.  I am sure I have done more to spook Barclays recently than you have!  I just added 4 cards to my portfolio, sometimes I think they are a little too sensitive.  I am waiting to see what happens, while waiting I cashed out my points with them just in case!  I will certainly make sure that if they close my account, which I pay off in full I will have words with them!  (Especially, because I am due those bonus points for Christmas!)

Grow little seedling grow.

Rethink every purchase you make, before you make it. Use the card with the best rewards. Pay in full each month. Redeem rewards often. Use the cards online shopping for more discounts. Smile, knowing that being thrifty allows you to actually get more out of the same amount of money!
Established Contributor
aussiesareforever

The Walmart Discover is a new trade line. It will lower your AAoA as it shows up as a new account.

From everything I've read, it has taken usually at least 1 year and in some cases longer, for the upgrade to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about Barclay if you are at least six months out from when you opened your account.

BK in 2008, after making very stupid financial decisions.

Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($6400) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($10,000)---GEMB CareCredit ($5700) --- AUFCU ($10000)--- Walmart ($5000)

FICO Scores: TU 735 EQ 709 EX 740 (Feb 2013, all pulled by lender)

Established Contributor
TiggerDat

aussiesareforever wrote:

The Walmart Discover is a new trade line. It will lower your AAoA as it shows up as a new account.

From everything I've read, it has taken usually at least 1 year and in some cases longer, for the upgrade to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about Barclay if you are at least six months out from when you opened your account.

It's at the 5 month mark, so hopefully I will be OK!

Grow little seedling grow.

Rethink every purchase you make, before you make it. Use the card with the best rewards. Pay in full each month. Redeem rewards often. Use the cards online shopping for more discounts. Smile, knowing that being thrifty allows you to actually get more out of the same amount of money!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+