Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's AA via Walmart Upgrade?

tag
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Barclay's AA via Walmart Upgrade?

I opened a Barclay’s NFL Card last month. I opened a Walmart account in November ’12. So, if the “upgrade to Walmart Discover” option appears in my account in 6 months (or so), and I accept this offer:

1. Will this close the Walmart store card and open a new trade line? or will I have (2) trades?

2. If it is a new trade, will this new trade spook Barclay’s? &

3. Can I let the upgrade offer “sit” for a few months to avoid spooking Barclay’s or does it disappear if not used?

Thank you as always for any replies!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's AA via Walmart Upgrade?

When I asked about the Discover option I was told it does not happen often, that they do it about every two years.  I have also been told other things as well.  It should just be a product change and you keep the AAOA, so that should not spook Barclays.  I am sure I have done more to spook Barclays recently than you have!  I just added 4 cards to my portfolio, sometimes I think they are a little too sensitive.  I am waiting to see what happens, while waiting I cashed out my points with them just in case!  I will certainly make sure that if they close my account, which I pay off in full I will have words with them!  (Especially, because I am due those bonus points for Christmas!)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 4
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

The Walmart Discover is a new trade line. It will lower your AAoA as it shows up as a new account.

From everything I've read, it has taken usually at least 1 year and in some cases longer, for the upgrade to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about Barclay if you are at least six months out from when you opened your account.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 4
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:

The Walmart Discover is a new trade line. It will lower your AAoA as it shows up as a new account.

From everything I've read, it has taken usually at least 1 year and in some cases longer, for the upgrade to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about Barclay if you are at least six months out from when you opened your account.

It's at the 5 month mark, so hopefully I will be OK!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.