Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Air Tran Visa

tag
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay's Air Tran Visa

I just got a Barclay card last week (Apple) and ran a search on it on MyFico. One thread from Dec 2010 popped up in which several Barclays Apple card holders reported CLD or the account being closed altogether. Most of them reported seeking additional credit (opening new accounts) as the reason -- BUT the OP mentioned too high of a balance. To me, I just don't understand that. Why give a CL if when people spent up to that amount, you go ahead and close it?

Regardless, I'm not sure if Barclay's monitors Air Tran Visa like they do Apple. But from what I read on here, they specifically monitor all new card holders for the first 6 months after activation and look for new inq's, new accounts, and even high balances.

It really stinks because I have a 2000CL and was hoping to put a winter trip on it and pay off about 75% of it immediately. It looks like I can't do that with risking them closing my account.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 11 of 21
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

See that's the thing with Barclay's, they never even looked at any of my reports at all since ive had the card. Not even a soft on any reports. I also called them a few minutes ago and they told me that southwest will most likely transfer the accounts to a southwest card. Hopefully they do this because this CL of $4500 is my highest I have.

Credit conscience!
Message 12 of 21
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

The whole issue of Barclay CLD/closing accounts was totally blown out of proportion on here back then...   If you are missing payments and they show up on your credit reports, that's a different thing.

Message 13 of 21
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

Ive always made my card payments on time and always more than the minimum. Just dont want them to cld me after i pay off the balance next month because ive had high utl on it for 7 months.

Credit conscience!
Message 14 of 21
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

ya just saying..i  wouldn't be surprised if a that small amount of people who were CLD did miss payments.  I mean, we are on a forum of avid credit card users, we don't represent the general population. Think about all of those WHO DO NOT visit this site and have the card.  We are probably like less than 5% of their business,

Message 15 of 21
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

That's exactly right. I hope they do transfer my card over to Southwest because I would hate to lose the 2 free flights ive already earned and I definitely don't want to lose my highest limit card.

Credit conscience!
Message 16 of 21
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

if i were you i would try for nationwide visa.  heard they p ull TU only and you are in their range. 

Message 17 of 21
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

I would love to but I'm not in that score range anymore, had an old hospital bill show on all 3 reports and with the high utl my TU score is now 615. Ive worked out a PFD on the bill and it will come off next month and my balances on my cards will be paid off as well next month so maybe ill be back up to 676 or maybe even higher.

Credit conscience!
Message 18 of 21
john398
Senior Contributor

@Ortz33__ wrote:

The whole issue of Barclay CLD/closing accounts was totally blown out of proportion on here back then...   If you are missing payments and they show up on your credit reports, that's a different thing.

Reading this thread http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-IS-Watching/td-p/977044/page/2

It looks like they mainly do it when yo open too many  new accounts and you are have more credit than you can really pay off, atleast thats what I got  out of it

Message 19 of 21
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

But how could they really tell?  THey don't know if that person got married or now have a dual income or major bonus, or came across money and want to now build more relationships to grow their credit profile.  Or if there was a major life emergency and that person wanted to finance it, etc.  That shouldn't be their decision to illustrate.  Generally when someone takes on too much debt they are missing payments.  Not opening new accounts.  I opened up a few accounts after getting a Barclay card in October and they are better than Barclay (Discover, etc.) so if they want to close me let them

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.