Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Bank CC?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclay's Bank CC?

Now I'm having second thoughts... While I was Googling them, I stumbled on an Epinions.com thread with a LOT of complaints about Barclays and Juniper. Here's the thread link: http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/cat_id_~24/id_~11552/forum_id_~159

I've read a lot of positive reviews on this forum, so I'm kind of in a quandary as to whether or not I should apply with them. I'd really appreciate hearing any positive or negative feedback from anyone who has had one of their cards.

Thank you! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 11 of 21
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Now I'm having second thoughts... While I was Googling them, I stumbled on an Epinions.com thread with a LOT of complaints about Barclays and Juniper. Here's the thread link: http://www.epinions.com/msg/show_~threads/cat_id_~24/id_~11552/forum_id_~159

I've read a lot of positive reviews on this forum, so I'm kind of in a quandary as to whether or not I should apply with them. I'd really appreciate hearing any positive or negative feedback from anyone who has had one of their cards.

Thank you! Smiley Happy

Those type of forums attract only complaints, and you would have reject everyone based on them.

I don't have Barclays yet, considering an application.    From what I read on this fourm.    They are relatively easy to get, although recon is common needed for marginal credit to approval.   They are also known to cancel your card if you get more credit cards in the following 6 months.

Message 12 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you. Good to know. I had read on another post that they closed someone's account for applying for a new card because they soft pull every month. I'm still on the fence. It seems like they are not ideal, but may be a good card on the way to rebuilding credit.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my Barclay's Juniper card for rebuilding.

Opened at 1200 and am up to 3700 after 18 months.  First CLI was $500 and the next two were auto CLI's @ $1,000 each at 12 mos. and 18 mos.

When I opened, I had four new (four month old) cards, and a two month old mortgage.  I also opened a $10,000 CL card with my CU when Barclay's was 9 mos. old  - no backlash from Barclay's. 

I think they're great for rebuilding.  14.99% (but I PIF), no rewards, no AF. 

And the Juni card sends out their pre-approvals frequently if you're not opted-out.

I like 'em fine.

Message 14 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you for all of the replies! It's good to hear about CLI since I've heard not-so-great feedback about CLI with Cap One (my only major CCs).

I'm curious which type of Barclay's cards you all have. I'm thinking about applying for the Barnes & Noble because then at least I could get points towards free books, which is something I'd use (as opposed to miles since I don't travel). I wonder if the rewards cards are more difficult to get.

It sounds like if I did get this card, I'd need to be in the garden for the next 6 months. Smiley Happy Glad to know 9 months was a safe timeframe.

Message 15 of 21
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

I have a Juniper MC $1300 limit - 0 balance, opened in 2008.

I just got the Travelocity Rewards Amex $5000 - 0 balance in April 2011.

I have had nothing but good luck with Barclays so far.  I am very careful not to open or try for credit for the next 6 months for sure. Dont want to jepordize my new Amex account.

When I applied for the Travelocity Amex I got a 7-10 response online, but I called the backdoor number and answered a few questions and was given $5K credit line which blew me away.  

Good luck!!

Bobby

Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 16 of 21
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Does anyone know if they will approve with an unpaid collection from 2005?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

With an unpaid collection from 2005, you may not be approved immediately online.  However, if you call for recon, you should have no problem being approved, as long as you don't have alot of recent inquiries.  They are excellent to work with, more so than most of the other prime lenders.  I would say go for it!

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 17 of 21
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

i have the priceline rewards visa card with no AF.

1 baddie from 2005 (medical) and still got approved for $4500.

Fico in the low 700s w/only 2 IQ L2 yrs on TU CR.

This was one month ago, and got the card mainly for BT.

I read they give out nice auto CLI every 6 mons, that's why i apped.

Message 18 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the replies! It's a relief to hear that they're approving even with an older unpaid collection. Looks hopeful for me. TU has my highest score -- just under 700.

It seems like the only thing that may go against me is that I have 3 new CCS (two bankcards and one store card) in the last couple of months. Also, one of the Cap One cards isn't showing up on my cr rept yet, and I'd hate for Barclay to cancel my acct once that shows up -- if they think I app'd after their approval. If Cap One had given me a decent CL, I'd probably be satisifed with that for a while. Now, I'm almost wishing I hadn't gotten the Cap One cards. Oh well, at least it's a starting point for me. Maybe Barclay's will be a stepping stone to the next level. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 21
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Thank you for the replies! It's a relief to hear that they're approving even with an older unpaid collection. Looks hopeful for me. TU has my highest score -- just under 700.

It seems like the only thing that may go against me is that I have 3 new CCS (two bankcards and one store card) in the last couple of months. Also, one of the Cap One cards isn't showing up on my cr rept yet, and I'd hate for Barclay to cancel my acct once that shows up -- if they think I app'd after their approval. If Cap One had given me a decent CL, I'd probably be satisifed with that for a while. Now, I'm almost wishing I hadn't gotten the Cap One cards. Oh well, at least it's a starting point for me. Maybe Barclay's will be a stepping stone to the next level. Smiley Happy

I was instantly approved online when I apped. Just try to get your TU fico above 700, pay down your UTIL to 15% or less and apply. Have you pull your TU CR? If you dont have more than 3 iq last 6 months on your TU CR, you should be in good shape. Like I said..try to get your score above 700 for instant approval. Another thing, when you apply, check no to "using the card for cash advance" and state you wanted a BT (i stated $1k) to the card you are applying for, that way, they will give you a generous CL.

I know Travelocity, Priceline are promoting their business and apping for one of those CC will more than likely get you approve from Barclays, imho. Good luck !

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.