Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Juniper card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay's Juniper card

Started another topic because all the ones I saw were very old.  I have had this card for about 8 years now.  I got it way back when my credit was **bleep** and get nothing out of it really, except needing it for the AoAA.  I get charged a $49 AF, and even when it has a zero balance, I somehow manage to still have charges/fees/interest on it.  Don't know how.  I guess my question is what do I do with it?  I get charged a fee for nothing, really.  I want to keep because of it's age, but don't really use it and if I forget to log into it, I'll have interest or whatever and then have a late payment which I don't want.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay's Juniper card

If you decide to close it, remember it will remain on your reports and part of your AAOA for the next 10 years. So, really if you have no use for it, no reason to keep it. ESPECIALLY since it has an annual fee.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My only problem with closing it is because of it affecting my AoAA, it's one of my oldest cards.  Guess I'll just keep it and remember to keep checking it, at least I have the arrival+ card that keeps me on the Barclay's site to see the account.  Just hate paying the AF just for the AoAA aspect.  Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

By the time it does affect your AAOA (in 10 years) you will have a strong enough AAOA you won't even notice. Closing it now will have absolutely NO affect on your AAOA. It will only reduce your total available credit. But, you have to do what you feel is best macman.
Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
By the time it does affect your AAOA (in 10 years) you will have a strong enough AAOA you won't even notice. Closing it now will have absolutely NO affect on your AAOA. It will only reduce your total available credit. But, you have to do what you feel is best macman.

This^^^^^!   OP, reread, it will not impact your AAoA for many years (by which time your credit will be different, and the scoring system will probably change as well).

General advice is to get rid of useless cards with AF (opinion is divided on useless no-AF cards!) but in your case, if you are getting charged late fees and interest, it's even more clear.     If for whatever (misguided!) reason you feel you must keep it, set up auto pay to PIF on statement due date.

Message 5 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

+1 LTL. I guess I just have a hard time understanding the fear here of closing cards. I have closed SEVERAL without any AAOA impact whatsoever. If you no longer have any use for it and it has an af, I just don't see the point of hanging on to it.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, didn't read that part correctly about the AoAA, I'll just cancel it then, thanks.

Message 7 of 8
baller4life
Super Contributor

GREAT choice macman! It's dead weight now!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.