Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Product Change?

tag
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Barclay's Product Change?

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm firmly entrenched in the garden. Just added Barclay's Apple two weeks and can't risk opening any new accounts. I purchased the iPad 2 on the 0% financing and have the ability to pay off the remaining balance of $600 at any time (currently have a 2000 CL). My GF and I are planning a trip this winter and would like to put it on a CC. I'm afraid if I put it on my Barclay's Apple card, they'll either close my account or CLD. I'll be able to pay about 75% of it immediately (maybe $1200 out of a $1800 charge). But I'm guessing putting that big of a charge on the cc would result in closure or CLD -- regardless of how much/how quickly I pay it.

Should I approach Barclay's about PC'ing me to the Travelocity card? What would you suggest (other than not going on vacation LOL)? I'd love to just put the trip on my debit but it's unlikely I'll be able to come up with 100% of the funds at the time of purchase.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay's Product Change?

@mAndrew1980 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Currently I'm firmly entrenched in the garden. Just added Barclay's Apple two weeks and can't risk opening any new accounts. I purchased the iPad 2 on the 0% financing and have the ability to pay off the remaining balance of $600 at any time (currently have a 2000 CL). My GF and I are planning a trip this winter and would like to put it on a CC. I'm afraid if I put it on my Barclay's Apple card, they'll either close my account or CLD. I'll be able to pay about 75% of it immediately (maybe $1200 out of a $1800 charge). But I'm guessing putting that big of a charge on the cc would result in closure or CLD -- regardless of how much/how quickly I pay it.

Should I approach Barclay's about PC'ing me to the Travelocity card? What would you suggest (other than not going on vacation LOL)? I'd love to just put the trip on my debit but it's unlikely I'll be able to come up with 100% of the funds at the time of purchase.

Andrew,

I am a firm beleiver that we are given a CL for a reason and that's to use it an demonstrate that we can pay it on time or before the bill is due. So if you have a $2000 CL, I would think that you could use the whole $2000 and as you said you could pay the balance very quick.

Your payment ability will be a positive thing with Barclays. However any credit card company might look at your suspiciously if you max the card and pay only the min payment every month. It might indicate financial difficulty.

That's just my opinion; others can chime in.

Message 2 of 18
GCSCORE
Valued Member

Use the limit that they gave you.  I never thought twice when I first received my barclay's apple card and they never bugged me about it.  Pay on time, as you are expected to do and you'll be fine.

Starting Score: 650's
Current Score: 729
Goal Score: 751

Message 3 of 18
casmith1980
Established Contributor

I agree.  They give you the CL for a reason.  Besides, showing that you're willing to put $1800 on THEIR card will most likely result in a CLI NOT a CLD when the 6 months is up Smiley Wink

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 4 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

I have a $4200 CL on my Apple Card and my util on this card is 80%. But i intend to pay this in 3 month instead of the $40 min payment. This way I'm 'demonstrating' that I can use this card fully and pay it off way in advance.

I'm hoping in 6 months that I will get a CLI instead of a CLD.

Message 5 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

+1 usethe limit, also I belive on this card they will only allow you to PC to the Apple iTunes Card....

Message 6 of 18
Ortz33__
Frequent Contributor

was approved last month for 1300 on apple and used my limit and haven't encountered issues

Message 7 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

I wonder how high this card can go in terms of CL.

I have heard of $5000 but nothing higher.

Message 8 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Barclays offers a black card buut its $495 annual fee

Message 9 of 18
CS800
Super Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@CS800 wrote:

Barclays offers a black card buut its $495 annual fee

Im aware of the black card but to stay AF free, I was wondering what's the highest that the Apple card can go to.

The only thing with Barclay is that any CLI involved a HP as I was reading in other threads.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.