Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Reward- When should I app?

tag
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

Barclay's Reward- When should I app?

Hi - Just needed a bit of advice on my next credit move. 

I would like to app for a Barclay's Card in the future (either their Reward's MasterCard or BJ's Visa since I shop there often) .  I know from this forum that Barclay's is extremely inquiry and new account sensitive.  So my question is should I wait until my inquiries AND new account are a year old for my best chance at being approved? Or will waiting six months be okay?  Also, what should my FICO scores look like for my best chance? I believe they pull TU. Oh and  I have no baddies and no lates.

Slowly building....
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's Reward- When should I app?

I'm also wondering abou the same thing. I want to apply for the Apple card from barclays.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 2 of 8
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

I had similar questions not too long ago... Most people seemed to feel that 6 months was an acceptable time so that's what I'm planning around.  All my new accounts/inquiries (about 5) will hit the 6 month mark this month so I'm planning to get my util down from 25-30% to 10-15% and then app for the Apple card in late November after my one card with a balance reports it's newest paid down balance.

I'm hoping they'll be in the holiday spirit by then Smiley Wink

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 3 of 8
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the feedback modernsurrender. Would you be so kind as to report back to let us know how you make out when you apply in November?
Slowly building....
Message 4 of 8
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

I'll try to remember and do so when the time comes Smiley Happy

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are looking for a rewards card the Barclay's Reward MC is not that great. Both me and my wife got hit with absurd CP1 type limits. The program itself is completely overcomplicated and points are hard to earn if you have a low limit. If you do not get at least a 2k limit you will be hard pressed to earn a statement credit. I have been with them for a year and not seen one increase. This months' statement cuts in 2 days and if there is not an increase....its going to the SD.

Barclays is incredibly sensitive as well they SP every month. I really do not like this practice and have been a hater persay....cause well if you are going SP a good customer constantly and not do anything to show loyality....Kick rocks. 

Message 6 of 8
TeeandDee
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are looking for a rewards card the Barclay's Reward MC is not that great. Both me and my wife got hit with absurd CP1 type limits. The program itself is completely overcomplicated and points are hard to earn if you have a low limit. If you do not get at least a 2k limit you will be hard pressed to earn a statement credit. I have been with them for a year and not seen one increase. This months' statement cuts in 2 days and if there is not an increase....its going to the SD.

Barclays is incredibly sensitive as well they SP every month. I really do not like this practice and have been a hater persay....cause well if you are going SP a good customer constantly and not do anything to show loyality....Kick rocks. 

Oh darn! I didn't know! Thank you so much for sharing this information! And you make some really good points about their practices....SP every month, but no CLI's??Smiley Surprised That's not good.  A credit card should grow with you.  If anything that would hold me back because so far,  all my credit cards are growing nicely.  I definately would not want to add one that had does not.  Hmmmm may have to rethink this.  I originally had Citi as my goal, but they seem to dislike me! I've apped with them when my credit was at various levels..all good, but never seem to find what pleases them so I've all but given up on them...LOL!   Maybe I'll try again with Citi in a year.  We'll see....

Slowly building....
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay's is extremely sensitive to inquiries. I say you should wait 1 year before applying for barclay's card. Then go on app spree after 6 months after approval.

Personally, I don't like barclay's and there are better options for financing apple products. I hate to say it but Bill me later is better than barclay's IF you pay it off before promotion expires.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.