cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Rewards Cards - Good vs Excellent Credit?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Barclay's Rewards Cards - Good vs Excellent Credit?

Barclay's lists two Rewards cards. One is for good credit and one is for excellant credit. Does anyone know the low cutoff score for excellent? As I type this I'm thinking "I haven't made it back to the excellent range yet" but I'm still wondering Smiley Happy 

Barclaycard® Rewards – Excellent Credit
Earn 2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries and utilities and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Enjoy a 0% introductory APR on balance transfers and purchases for the first 18 months after account opening - after that, a variable APR, currently 14.99% or 19.99%, based on your creditworthiness. Use your points for a statement credit on almost any purchase with the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard.

Barclaycard® Rewards – Good Credit
Earn 2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries and utilities and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Use your points for a statement credit on almost any purchase with the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MrMurphyBrown
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclay's Rewards Cards - Good vs Excellent Credit?

@masscredit wrote:

Barclay's lists two Rewards cards. One is for good credit and one is for excellant credit. Does anyone know the low cutoff score for excellent? As I type this I'm thinking "I haven't made it back to the excellent range yet" but I'm still wondering Smiley Happy 

Barclaycard® Rewards – Excellent Credit
Earn 2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries and utilities and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Enjoy a 0% introductory APR on balance transfers and purchases for the first 18 months after account opening - after that, a variable APR, currently 14.99% or 19.99%, based on your creditworthiness. Use your points for a statement credit on almost any purchase with the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard.

Barclaycard® Rewards – Good Credit
Earn 2 points per $1 spent on gas, groceries and utilities and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. Use your points for a statement credit on almost any purchase with the Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard.

Barclay Prequal Have you tried this link?  It will tell you "Congratulations!" if there is a card for you.  I know this doesn't directly answer your question, and really, no one would be able to say for 100% certain what Barclay's underwriting criteria for the card was.  Each credit report is different.

Several other cards in the sock drawer. A few late payments that are legit from a few years ago. I may get motivated while in the garden to contend with Synchrony and try to get a good will deletion. Utilization and inquiries are my main score dings. I tend to sit in the 650-680 range most of the time because I love hitting "apply" buttons.
Message 2 of 12
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I didn't see that link. Checking it out now. They ask "How would you rate your credit?" I'm wondering how they would rate my credit Smiley Happy  I believe at one time 720 or high would get some of the best rates available. Some places do it for 675-680. So I don't know what their criteria is for excellent. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 12
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

They ask "How would you rate your credit?" I'm wondering how they would rate my credit Smiley Happy   

I recently looked at Lending Club and Prosper loan SP prequals... and they had different ranges for credit "ratings" in the same niche financial market. Like ranges off by 40 points. (Prosper's dividing lines are 640/700/760, LC is 600/660/720 for breaking into fair/good/excellent.) I know unsecured loans and unsecured credit cards are different, but that gives you an idea of how broad a range might exist. 

So it's hard to say, but I would expect at the worst 740+ would be excellent and under 600 would be "ha ha, come back in two years" Smiley Happy 

Edited to add: You could check a certain website that shows past pulls, to get an idea of what's  gone in what direction for other people. It's anecdotal but might be more useful. Smiley Happy 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 4 of 12
MrMurphyBrown
Regular Contributor

@NoAnchoviesPlease wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

They ask "How would you rate your credit?" I'm wondering how they would rate my credit Smiley Happy   

I recently looked at Lending Club and Prosper loan SP prequals... and they had different ranges for credit "ratings" in the same niche financial market. Like ranges off by 40 points. (Prosper's dividing lines are 640/700/760, LC is 600/660/720 for breaking into fair/good/excellent.) I know unsecured loans and unsecured credit cards are different, but that gives you an idea of how broad a range might exist. 

So it's hard to say, but I would expect at the worst 740+ would be excellent and under 600 would be "ha ha, come back in two years" Smiley Happy 

+1

Several other cards in the sock drawer. A few late payments that are legit from a few years ago. I may get motivated while in the garden to contend with Synchrony and try to get a good will deletion. Utilization and inquiries are my main score dings. I tend to sit in the 650-680 range most of the time because I love hitting "apply" buttons.
Message 5 of 12
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Edited to add: You could check a certain website that shows past pulls, to get an idea of what's  gone in what direction for other people. It's anecdotal but might be more useful. Smiley Happy 

Good idea! Looking at that site now. People list the Rewards card but it doesn't note which version. Maybe I'll give Barclay's a call if I decide to apply. Like they say, the answer is no if you don't ask. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 12
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Good idea! Looking at that site now. People list the Rewards card but it doesn't note which version. Maybe I'll give Barclay's a call if I decide to apply. Like they say, the answer is no if you don't ask. 

I see a California listing that explicitly says "Barclaycard Rewards - Avg Credit" with a $1500 limit at TU FICO 639. That one says they match highest current CL if you have a low score. YMMV of course. (I just searched for "barclay" without specifying a CRA... their search engine seems very strange (if you have extra spaces in the fields, it'll mess you up). 

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 7 of 12
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i was approved for the good credit card with around a 650. the huge difference bewteen and two cards is the apr as mine currently sits comfortably in the sock drawer @ 24.99

Message 8 of 12
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

I just checked Capital one prequal, and they have even stranger definitions of credit levels. By this categorization I have "Excellent Credit" but they still won't bump my QS above $1k. Smiley Happy 

Capital One credit levels

12/29/2015 669/696/706

Message 9 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@masscredit wrote:

I didn't see that link. Checking it out now. They ask "How would you rate your credit?" I'm wondering how they would rate my credit Smiley Happy  I believe at one time 720 or high would get some of the best rates available. Some places do it for 675-680. So I don't know what their criteria is for excellent. 

Is that 665 TU in your signature accurate?  I suppose excellent can be subjective but I would say over 750 is excellent. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.