Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Rewards MC - Interesting Points

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Barclay's Rewards MC - Interesting Points

All, I have been using my card for the below rewards in the first month and discovered an interesting twist.

(Earn 2 points for every $1 you spend on gas, grocery and utility purchases)

Over the weekend I purchased a Phillips LED TV for my son using this card at Target (I know about the breach)...  the charge just posted in Barclays website and they granted me 2x points for the purchase.  I am assuming that since Target (and maybe WalMart?) sell groceries as part of the store, Barclay's is considering purchases from Target as all groceries?  Nice.

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclay's Rewards MC - Interesting Points

Target, CVS and Walgreens all count as grocery and earn the 2x points.  Never shop at Walmart, so can't advise on that one.

Message 2 of 3
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclay's Rewards MC - Interesting Points

I don't think it's specifically a Barclay's thing, but rather a Visa/MC thing. Both Visa and MC categorize Target as a grocery store, along with Walmart; Amex and Discover do not. It doesn't matter what you purchase, as it's coded by store rather than item. So, you should be able to make any purchase at Target with a MC and have it coded as a grocery purchase, and if your card offers you a certain reward structure for grocery stores, then you should get that reward.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.