Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Sallie Mae

tag
Shock
Established Contributor

Barclay's Sallie Mae

5% back on gas and groceries. First 250 per month, or something like that. I know a few have this card, but would anybody recommend it as a "consumer" card, by which i mean is it an everyday Joe card? 

It says it can help you pay off student loans with rewards..

Sorry if the question is redundant. Let me know if you need clarification.

The reason I ask is because it would make me BCE kinda of obsolete...

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's Sallie Mae

@Shock wrote:

5% back on gas and groceries. First 250 per month, or something like that. I know a few have this card, but would anybody recommend it as a "consumer" card, by which i mean is it an everyday Joe card? 

Many people have both the SM and BCE...they use the SM up to the cap, then use the BCE. Plus the BCE still has the 3% supermarket category. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 42
celluloid17
Established Contributor

@Shock wrote:

I have a Sallie Mae and I love it because I'm a low spender on both gas and groceries, so I never reach the monthly cap on either and the rewards appear nearly immediately and you can't forget the 5% back on $750 a month Amazon spend (which I rarely spend much on, but it's nice to know I can).  I also have the Chase Freedom, Discover It, US Bank Cash + and Amex TrueEarnings (Costco).  I kind of hate categories cards and being so spread out credit wise.  

I think the perfect compliment to the Sallie Mae card (if you're not buying groceries for more than one or two people) would be the Fidelity Amex for 2% back on everything.  I think those two cards would make up an ideal minimalist credit portfolio, but alas, I'm gardening so no Fidelity Amex for me at the moment.

Message 3 of 42
NotUsher
Contributor

@celluloid17 wrote:

I have a Sallie Mae and I love it because I'm a low spender on both gas and groceries, so I never reach the monthly cap on either and the rewards appear nearly immediately and you can't forget the 5% back on $750 a month Amazon spend (which I rarely spend much on, but it's nice to know I can).  I also have the Chase Freedom, Discover It, US Bank Cash + and Amex TrueEarnings (Costco).  I kind of hate categories cards and being so spread out credit wise.  

I think the perfect compliment to the Sallie Mae card (if you're not buying groceries for more than one or two people) would be the Fidelity Amex for 2% back on everything.  I think those two cards would make up an ideal minimalist credit portfolio, but alas, I'm gardening so no Fidelity Amex for me at the moment.

Sallie Mae, Cash+, & Fidelity Amex is a killer combo. I keep my Cash+ set to restaurants and fast food to effectively make it a 5% dining card. Anything not captured by SM or Cash+ goes to the Fidelity Amex. Not a good combo for anything international (FTFs), but domestically they're pretty great.

Message 4 of 42
clocktick
Valued Contributor

How does the card work with Sallie Mae student loans? 

I'm curious because I just cosigned for one.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 42
dabossman
Contributor

It allows you to redeem your cashback as a "statement credit" towards your student loan

Secondly it's kind of a hassle to get the cash back. Because the 2 simplest ways are into a student loan and as an actual statement credit, but it's a slow is process for the statement credit like 6-8 weeks to post was there estimation. The last way is get a upromise with it and then transfer points to the up roomies account and the have the upromise account cut you a check
Mouse over for Limits, Sorted Oldest to Newest
Message 6 of 42
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@dabossman wrote:
It allows you to redeem your cashback as a "statement credit" towards your student loan

Secondly it's kind of a hassle to get the cash back. Because the 2 simplest ways are into a student loan and as an actual statement credit, but it's a slow is process for the statement credit like 6-8 weeks to post was there estimation. The last way is get a upromise with it and then transfer points to the up roomies account and the have the upromise account cut you a check

? My statement credit is always posted within a couple of days after I request it.

I second the Sallie Mae MC as a great everyday card. Nice website, useful 5% categories, wider acceptance than the BCE or BCP.

Message 7 of 42
Joebunaga
New Contributor

I've really enjoyed my Sallie Mae. In addition to the spend categories, the no annual fee and free FICO makes it a keeper in my book. Mine rolls into a savings account so I don't have any experience with the student loan side of it. I use it for the categories vs an everyday card(I try and rack up travel points on other cards for spending outside of gas/groceries/Amazon). I use a BoA Cash Rewards for the overflow on gas(2%) and groceries(3%). The Fidelity Amex, as mentioned, looks like a good card for everyday out-of-category expenses.

I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.

FICO(Barclay1\22\15) TU: 798 | FICO EX: 780 | FICO EQ(2\12\15):808 | In the Garden from 5/8/14 until ???
UFCU Visa $5k | Cap1 QS $10K | Jetblue Amex $18K | CSP $6.5K | Amex Green (NPSL) | Chase Freedom $18k | Sallie Mae WMC $15.5k| BoA 1-2-3 Visa $7.5k | Amex Everyday $16k | Amex Fidelity $10k |
Message 8 of 42
Lucky_Tom

Just to expand on dabossman's upromise option, if you also have a sallie Mae high yield savings account, you can transfer upromise points to that account to get a 10% bonus. So, going from SM MC to upromise to SM savings effectively makes it a 5.5% gas/grocery/amazon card up to the caps.
AMEX BCP - $30k
CSP Visa Sig - $25k
Chase Freedom Visa Sig - $13k
Chase United Mileage Plus - $2.5k
BofA BBR MC - $15k
Message 9 of 42
nois
Regular Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@dabossman wrote:

? My statement credit is always posted within a couple of days after I request it.

I second the Sallie Mae MC as a great everyday card. Nice website, useful 5% categories, wider acceptance than the BCE or BCP.

+1 My statement credit posts swiftly as well. Rewards are also posted quickly.

It's a great everyday card esp. if you don't exceed the spending caps.

FEB 2014 EQ: 798 EX: 780 TU: 798
Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.