Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Sallie Mae

tag
Shock
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay's Sallie Mae

This honestly seems like a student card....its supposed to help pay student loans, but its a WMC so its supposed to have a 5k minimum limit. Seems backwards! But I still want in.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 31 of 42
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I want it too even more since they refused me on it plus 3 rounds of recons.
Barclay's is in for a battle now. I don't go away quietly Smiley Happy
Message 32 of 42
Involver
Valued Contributor

@Shock wrote:

This honestly seems like a student card....its supposed to help pay student loans, but its a WMC so its supposed to have a 5k minimum limit. Seems backwards! But I still want in.

It can be used to reduce the balance on your SM student loan, but it doesn't have to be.

But yeah I see what you mean ... 250/250/750 spend limits for 5% is pretty low on a $5k+ World MC.

Message 33 of 42
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

@Involver wrote:

@Shock wrote:

It can be used to reduce the balance on your SM student loan, but it doesn't have to be.

But yeah I see what you mean ... 250/250/750 spend limits for 5% is pretty low on a $5k+ World MC.

I basically look at the 5% categories as another form of incentve that restarts every month. nothing more, nothing less. As for the WMC portion, that is especially useful for amazon purchases and is added incentive to use the card as your primary spender on an amazon purchase. Say for example you are buying a $4k tv or $1.5k in books from amazon. Your incentive for using their card for the purchase is the inital 5% as well as the peace of mind given by the extended warranty.

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 34 of 42
celluloid17
Established Contributor

This card has been quite the darling of the forum this past week.  It's a good card, but even better when used with other reward cards that can cover beyond the $250 5% umbrella on gas and groceries each month or for general spend outside of those categories.  

Message 35 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@afinch1992 wrote:

I basically look at the 5% categories as another form of incentve that restarts every month. nothing more, nothing less. As for the WMC portion, that is especially useful for amazon purchases and is added incentive to use the card as your primary spender on an amazon purchase. Say for example you are buying a $4k tv or $1.5k in books from amazon. Your incentive for using their card for the purchase is the inital 5% as well as the peace of mind given by the extended warranty.

Well, maybe not, as you would only get part of that covered at 5%, and a 2% card (on the whole $4K) might be better.  For where you don't care so much about warranty, and if you can plan ahead, you can buy amazon gift cards for the month(s) before, and get 5% on the whole purchase that way.

Message 36 of 42
Shock
Established Contributor

Does anybody know what general score it takes to get approved? 715 perhaps?  I'm looking at a 699 TU at the moment. I will wait for my collection to fall off next month. Anybody know what kind of a boost that may or may not entail?

Still 2 negs falling off this summer

Message 37 of 42
afinch1992
Regular Contributor

@Shock wrote:

Does anybody know what general score it takes to get approved? 715 perhaps?  I'm looking at a 699 TU at the moment. I will wait for my collection to fall off next month. Anybody know what kind of a boost that may or may not entail?

I had exactly a 699 TU when I applied and got approved for $1400. No baddies however

AMEX BCE 18000CL, Citi DC 15000CL, AMEX EDP 15000CL, CSP 5000CL, Fidelity AMEX 5000CL, Sallie Mae MC 7400CL, US Bank Cash+ 5000CL, Chase Freedom 4000CL, Capital One QS 6000CL, BoA Better Balance 2500CL, Discover It 2000CL, BoA Better Cash Rewards 500CL, Chase Amazon CC 700CL

TU: 756 EX: 755 EQ: 753
Message 38 of 42
Shock
Established Contributor

@afinch1992 wrote:

@Shock wrote:

I had exactly a 699 TU when I applied and got approved for $1400. No baddies however

Hmmm 1400. Was this the World Mastercard or Platinum? Platinum I assume?

That's what I don't want...

Message 39 of 42
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Shock wrote:

@afinch1992 wrote:

@Shock wrote:

Hmmm 1400. Was this the World Mastercard or Platinum? Platinum I assume?

That's what I don't want...

I think score isn't much of a correlation to CL here.  I have scores around ~780, with the Barclays TU08 of 835, and they gave me $5K  (fortunately a world).  But 2 years ago, with very similar scores, my Barclays Rewards was a plat with $4.7K, and even when they gave me an auto-CLI to above $7K, as others reported, they would not change it to a world.

Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.