Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Visa Black Card

tag
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's Visa Black Card

@mxp114 wrote:

Design wise, the silver Visa Signature logo would look nicer or even the Visa logo on the back to give it a very sleek look.

Agree....the white print on the card is horrible. As you are describing...if they made the Visa Black more like the Citi Prestige it would be great....I have to say that the CP is my favorite card as for looks....best looking card I have ever had.

*8/10/13
Message 51 of 58
enharu
Super Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

It looks cool and very few have but that's probably more because few want it, however that does make it seem exclusive. The only thing I don't understand about this product is why is it issued as a Visa Platinum instead of a Visa Signature, not that Signature means anything anymore.

huh I thought Barclays would always consider the applicant for Visa Sig / World MC first, and then approve the customer for the lower tier card only if he doesn't qualify for the higher tier?

Or are all Barclays black cards platinum visa only?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 52 of 58
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

@mxp114 wrote:

It looks cool and very few have but that's probably more because few want it, however that does make it seem exclusive. The only thing I don't understand about this product is why is it issued as a Visa Platinum instead of a Visa Signature, not that Signature means anything anymore.

huh I thought Barclays would always consider the applicant for Visa Sig / World MC first, and then approve the customer for the lower tier card only if he doesn't qualify for the higher tier?

Or are all Barclays black cards platinum visa only?

As far as I know it is not offered as a Signature version at all. 

*8/10/13
Message 53 of 58
Open123
Super Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

I have read thread after thread of those that ridicule and put down barclays about the card for using the name Visa Black...big deal!! I do not think for a moment that anyone, including Barclays is trying to compare this card to the Centurion to which I highly doubt that ANY member of these forums actually have.

While it may not be Barclay’s intention, a card being marketed as “for those who demand only the best of what life has to offer, the Visa Black Card is for you,” would certainly imply a direct marketing association with the Amex Centurion.

Subjectively speaking, there’s an intangible value unique to all each of us.  If one finds the $400 annual fee worth the price of the card, then it’s worth every penny; just as the $5,000 annual fee would be worth every cent to a Centurion cardmember.  Period.  End of discussion.

Objectively speaking, when it comes to quantitative analysis, there should always be a duty to candor, irrespective of emotional sensitivities.  Towards that end, the value proposition both the Visa Black and Amex Centurion are so abysmal, that both are open to consistent ridicule and derision.

Message 54 of 58
hyprble
Regular Contributor

I agree with this comment:

"Subjectively speaking, there’s an intangible value unique to all each of us.  If one finds the $400 annual fee worth the price of the card, then it’s worth every penny; just as the $5,000 annual fee would be worth every cent to a Centurion cardmember.  Period.  End of discussion."

My personal opinion on the card is pretty negative.  When I received a targeted offer, I felt like it was really cool, but upon further research it seemed to me that it was marketed for anyone with a good credit score willing to pay the high annual fee.  If the OP wants to pay the fee because he/she REALLY REALLY wants a skinny black card, and money is no object, then it's up to the OP and really none of my business.  If the OP only wants the card for "prestige" (and the targeted markeing piece is very clever in that way), I have to say the card may look cool to people not familiar with credit cards, but I (and this is my opinion only) would think the person is being wasteful.  While the Centurian card also has a very high annual fee, I feel that the card is more exclusive.  I mean, people are willing to pay the high fees for it, but it is quite an exclusive card in that very few people have the money to spend to qualify for one in the first place.

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 55 of 58
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

Hmm... I didn't know I could sir up this much of a dicussion!! Smiley Happy

I still haven't heard back from the EO.. so now word yet. If they approve me, since I already took the HP, obviously I'll wait to see what the limit is and if I actually like the card. What does this card go up to as far as a limit? Does anyone know? I want at least $20,000 or it's certainly not worth it!

Message 56 of 58
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

I just heard from the EO today. The lady was nice, but I feel like they are just going to reiterate what they said before. She said she was personally 'investigating it', whatever that means. She said she'd get back to me in a few days. I don't even want the card anymore to be honest.. but if they reverse the approval, we'll see..

Message 57 of 58
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Keep us posted
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 58 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.