cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's and Balance Transfers... AA Magnet?

tag
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's and Balance Transfers... AA Magnet?

@Simply827 wrote:

Here's what Barclays thinks:

We define “bad behavior” as:

• Credit losses or charge offs – these are balances charged by our cardmembers who subsequently stopped making monthly payments
  • Balance attrition - these are balances that, for example, were charged by our cardmembers who then decided to  transfer them to another lender
  • Inactivity – opening a card but never using it to make purchases or transfer balances

And the “good behavior” is:

• Carrying a balance and making at least a minimum payment every month (to avoid becoming a credit loss)
  • Transferring a balance to our card -  from another lender’s card
  • Actively using the card every month

The above quoted user's post can be found on page 2 in this thread > Barclay CC Let's Put Our Heads Together

These links are helpful also

A case study of credit line increase and decrease

A case study of credit line increase and decrease part 2

Honestly, I've towed the line with Barclays. I've BT'd up to 90% right after opening my card. I paid down 1,000 then BT'd to them again a month or two later. I've BT'd from them once. I opened crazy new accounts and no AA yet. Although they stopped giving me the automatic increase at 6 months for both my cards and denied an online CLI request(thankfully, they didn't pull). As aways YMMV.

Message 11 of 13
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Have had Barclays Ring and Rewards both for about a year. Never used too much, a few dollars here and there just to keep open. Rewards card always has had a 1K limit. I received BT checks in Jan with 12 months 0% interest, so I thought WTH, so I wrote one for $300 just so the card would see use for a few months on payments. Low and behold, I log in the other day and they cut the credit limit to $500 making the utilization over 50%, not to mention a 23 point drop on my credit karma scores. Was going to pay it off, but going to make them wait it out since I paid the BT fees. I'll pay my minimum each month, then close the account.

Knock on wood, Ring card still at 4K, so we shall see.

Oh yeah, for the naysayers, 2% util total overall, no baddies, no late pays, etc. Everyone else giving me CLIs except Barclays.

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 12 of 13
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:

@Simply827 wrote:

Here's what Barclays thinks:

We define “bad behavior” as:

• Credit losses or charge offs – these are balances charged by our cardmembers who subsequently stopped making monthly payments
  • Balance attrition - these are balances that, for example, were charged by our cardmembers who then decided to  transfer them to another lender
  • Inactivity – opening a card but never using it to make purchases or transfer balances

And the “good behavior” is:

• Carrying a balance and making at least a minimum payment every month (to avoid becoming a credit loss)
  • Transferring a balance to our card -  from another lender’s card
  • Actively using the card every month

The above quoted user's post can be found on page 2 in this thread > Barclay CC Let's Put Our Heads Together

These links are helpful also

A case study of credit line increase and decrease

A case study of credit line increase and decrease part 2

Honestly, I've towed the line with Barclays. I've BT'd up to 90% right after opening my card. I paid down 1,000 then BT'd to them again a month or two later. I've BT'd from them once. I opened crazy new accounts and no AA yet. Although they stopped giving me the automatic increase at 6 months for both my cards and denied an online CLI request(thankfully, they didn't pull). As aways YMMV.

When I first got my Barclay, I didn't know how paranoid they were, so I also opened a couple accounts within 2-3 months after, and I had an issue that I know of.  Although I also have had to ask for my CLI's... I've never recieved an auto CLI, even though I put a lot of money through the card and always pay 3-4 times the minimum payment at least.  Sometimes multiple times a month.

I'll have to think about this...  My Barclay's statement just posted, so I have a few days to think about it before I do any moving of funds around.

I hate trying to be responsible with my money... Back in the old days when I didn't care, it wouldn't have thought twice about what creditors think of what behavior.  Smiley Happy

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.