Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's before Cap 1

tag
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

Barclay's before Cap 1

I'm 7.5 months out from discharge on a Chap. 7

I've got a secured local CC card (6 months reporting) $500 limit-$10 balance and a secured Cap 1 card (2 months reporting) $200 limit-$0 balance.  JCrew store card (1 month reporting) $250 limit-$0 balance -  I also have an auto loan $13.5k remaining.

I have gone through the Capital 1 pre-approval and they have not found a unsecured card they'd recommend.  Who knows if they ever will.

If I can't even get an unsecured card with Cap 1 - am I wasting my time even thinking about Barclays Apple Card?  Would one almost eliminate the other?  

Current FICO scored are in signature below.

Thoughts?

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Barclay's before Cap 1

Barclays has a Rewards MC for avg credit that is bk friendly. You may have to recon. Good luck
Message 2 of 5
Tristate
Contributor

I'd say wait till 12> months after BK.I've got 1300 from them 1 year after having secured with Cap1.Don't rush. You will get there.

AMEX BCE 10K; BARCLAYS REWARDS 10K; CITI ANYWHERE 8K; DISCOVER 7,5K;CAP ONE VENTURE 9K;MERRICK BANK 2,3K; MACY'S 1,2K; WALMART-SYNCRONY 450$.
BK7 DISCHARGED IN 2011. FICO 8 NOW IN LOW 700S.
Message 3 of 5
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@grassfeeder wrote:

I'm 7.5 months out from discharge on a Chap. 7

I've got a secured local CC card (6 months reporting) $500 limit-$10 balance and a secured Cap 1 card (2 months reporting) $200 limit-$0 balance.  JCrew store card (1 month reporting) $250 limit-$0 balance -  I also have an auto loan $13.5k remaining.

I have gone through the Capital 1 pre-approval and they have not found a unsecured card they'd recommend.  Who knows if they ever will.

If I can't even get an unsecured card with Cap 1 - am I wasting my time even thinking about Barclays Apple Card?  Would one almost eliminate the other?  

Current FICO scored are in signature below.

Thoughts?

Barclays wants to see 6 months of revolving credit post-BK before approving. You could be successful at about 5 months but I wouldn't recommend anytime sooner. Also expect to recon, this is not a big deal with Barclays. You could give it a shot with once your 5th capone and CU statements have cut. In the meantime, bump up your secured card as much as you can. It will help when new lines are approved. 

You can get an unsecured card with capone right now if you want. I got mine 2 months after having the secured version. Nothing popped up pre-approval wise. I just apped and got approved. It will cost you 3 HPs. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 4 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Barclay 1st choice

BK firendly and only pulls TU

Then Cap1 if Barclay doesn't workout but recon before Cap1 attempt 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.