Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's security is beyond stupid

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Barclay's security is beyond stupid

Perhaps they still havent fully recovered from losing all their tea in BostonSmiley Wink
Message 21 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

They don't know the meaning of happy medium at all.  Either they're happy go lucky and give you the world or they have a butt hurt situation and just lose it on you like a crazy ex girlfriend and shut you down completely.... I guess their idea of a medium is to CLD for no reason to $500CL like some others posted recently.  I cut them loose back in 2008 and haven't given them much thought since.  

Well, the happy medium would be the many cardholders from Barclay who ostensibly do not post about their cards because the accounts work as expected with no issues. I've had a couple Barclay cards over time and never had a CLD, flag, fraud, verification, none of that stuff. Card worked when I needed it to. They never have given me trouble in that sense. YMMV. People tend to post when issues occur and not so much when things are fine so it can skew the perception. But yes, Barclay's is more sensitive than some lenders.

They are not, however, the best lender or anything worth losing sleep over (IMO, their products are quite average overall), so if they are making someone upset, I wouldn't hesitate to cut them loose.

Message 22 of 27
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Kind of the point of posting when there are issues.Smiley Happy
Message 23 of 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

They don't know the meaning of happy medium at all.  Either they're happy go lucky and give you the world or they have a butt hurt situation and just lose it on you like a crazy ex girlfriend and shut you down completely.... I guess their idea of a medium is to CLD for no reason to $500CL like some others posted recently.  I cut them loose back in 2008 and haven't given them much thought since.  

Well, the happy medium would be the many cardholders from Barclay who ostensibly do not post about their cards because the accounts work as expected with no issues. I've had a couple Barclay cards over time and never had a CLD, flag, fraud, verification, none of that stuff. Card worked when I needed it to. They never have given me trouble in that sense. YMMV. People tend to post when issues occur and not so much when things are fine so it can skew the perception. But yes, Barclay's is more sensitive than some lenders.

They are not, however, the best lender or anything worth losing sleep over (IMO, their products are quite average overall), so if they are making someone upset, I wouldn't hesitate to cut them loose.

Exactly...I don't feel the need to make a new thread every time I redeem cash back on my Sallie Mae.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 24 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

Well, I have the Apple Rewards Card (why did they go with Barclays?) and the only reason why I got it was for the 12-month interest free finance on an iPhone 7. I already got what I wanted, and they gave me a $1k limit, just enough for the iPhone and $300 to spare, so I won't be using it anymore since utilization is high already. At least not until I pay off my iPhone. I don't have any other need for it unless they decide to offer interest free finance in a couple of years when I decide to change my iPhone... 

The interrogation did piss me off, I was thinking "well maybe I pay it off in a few months, sooner than 12, and use it for restaurants since I get 2 points per dollar at restaurants", but not anymore!

Message 25 of 27
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@austinguy907 wrote:

Exactly...I don't feel the need to make a new thread every time I redeem cash back on my Sallie Mae.

I'm sorry to hear that the OP had such a difficult time trying to get his Apple Rewards card added to Apple Pay, but I agree with the comments above.  I'm not sure if this type of Apple Pay security is specific to the Apple Rewards card, but I didn't have any issues getting my Sallie Mae MC and my old Arrival Plus card added to Apple Pay.  It was just as easy as adding the cards I have with Amex, Citi, Discover, and Capital One.  I didn't have to call anyone to get any of these cards added.

I'm also surprised to hear all of these reports of Barclaycard interrogation.  I guess I was fortunate to have instant approvals and haven't had the need to speak with them on the phone much.  I've had my Sallie Mae card for a little over 2 years and called them for the first time last month to product change my Arrival Plus card.  They were pleasant and professional.  I don't remember going through much of a security verification process.  I think they asked me to verify my address and that was probably it.  As kdm mentioned, I also haven't been subjected to CLDs, AA, fraud, etc.  On the flip side, I haven't received any CLIs, but I don't really need them, so that hasn't been an issue.

With some of the Barclaycard threads that I've read, if I didn't already have a couple of cards from them, I would probably avoid them like the plague.  I'm a no hassle type of guy, so I try my best to avoid a lot of unnecessary hassle.  Fortunately, I have some personal experience with them and it's been a positive experience for me so far (solid cards with good rewards and no hassle).  I'll also mention that my Sallie Mae MC is one of my favorite cards.

Good luck to the OP though.  I hope he gets his card unrestricted in the event that he decides that he wants to use the card again.

Message 26 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Perhaps they still havent fully recovered from losing all their tea in BostonSmiley Wink

Nomination for one of the funniest comments of the year. Nice, AveragesJoes. Smiley Happy

(plus, my relatives are Irish and Scottish so I'm not a huge fan of the English and their crooked finger tea parties - ha) Go Ireland Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.