Re: Barclay - should I apply now?

So awesome! Congrats!

Message 21 of 34
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@PandiferBear wrote:

Okay.  That was odd. 

So I called their backdoor number and spoke with a super helpful and friendly man.  He said that my report had not been pulled and asked if I wanted him to pull it.  I said yes.  He reviewed everything and asked some questions.  He was very complimentary about my payment history and that it looks like I am doing great.  He said the income was also no issue.  He did ask about the reason for there being several years with no credit card activity and about the new credit card activity and accounts more recently, and I explained it to him.  I let him know I was not wanting to have any other applications in the near future and that I was hoping to get Barclay because I hear they are a wonderful company to grow with and I am looking at growing my new lines of credit now.  He said that since some of the cards are pretty new - four and five months old - they just want to see a little more history on those cards.  He said to keep doing what I am doing because it looks good.  I asked how long I should wait before trying again, and he said 4 to 6 months.  I thanked him for all his help and let him know that I would be getting back with them then. 

Bummer. 

But - wait - what is that?  The phone is ringing and it is an unknown number?  Hello?  Oh, it's Barclays.  They called back just a few minutes later and said they actually could get me approved for a low limit.  Then instead of working on getting approved, I would be working on getting the limit increased.  WHAT?  Woo!  So now I have a teeny tiny $250.00 limit, but I am in the door and more than happy to start growing my new line of credit. 

Smiley Happy

I am so excited despite my little limit.  They really have phenomenal customer service.  And this is great incentive to keep myself locked tightly in the garden.  Thanks everyone for all the help and encouragement.  I never would have thought to try calling before coming to these boards!

While I know thats probably not what you were looking for (or what I expected at all) its an approval, and Barclays grows fast, I've had 3x CLI's on my card after 1 year (2x after 6 months) Use it and pay it off and you will have a great rewards card in a couple months!  Congrats!

Message 22 of 34
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the card. I started with a $1200 limit and after 6 months I got an auto increase to $2200.

Here's a piece of advice though... Be wary of app sprees. They have soft pulled my credit every single month. If you run up a lot of debt or have a lot of inquiries it will set off red flags...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 23 of 34
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

I think I have a good plan for the card.  My husband commutes, so I think I am going to use it exclusively for gas for him (and get good perks along the way).  That way it will show heavy usage, and then I will just pay the bill in full whenever I have to.  I think I will get a good bump after some months of doing that.  And get points!

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 24 of 34
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@PandiferBear wrote:

I think I have a good plan for the card.  My husband commutes, so I think I am going to use it exclusively for gas for him (and get good perks along the way).  That way it will show heavy usage, and then I will just pay the bill in full whenever I have to.  I think I will get a good bump after some months of doing that.  And get points!

Perfect and yes 2X points on gas!!  Also I'd take the stories about Barclay not liking inqs and new accounts lightly.  I've had two cards for over 1.5 years and I've apped and inq'd and everything in between, what does Barclay do?  Upgrades my cards and gives me CLI's so don't worry to much. 

Message 25 of 34
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Yeah... Don't worry about it till it happens. Go on multiple app sprees and run up a bunch of debt... If Barclay closes your account at least you'll know why.

Seen it multiple times. They don't SP every month for nothing. Smiley Happy
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 26 of 34
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

I was planning on gardening for about 6 months and then trying for Chase (they show a preapproval for me on their site - BUT we have seen my luck with that!).  I would like to get their Freedom card and a Discover It.  Do you think that I will have any issues if I app for these two cards in December?  I would not be looking for anything else for quite a while after that - I plan on trying for Amex late next year.  Patience is hard, so having Big Brother Barclay watching will help me stay in the garden. Smiley Very Happy

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 27 of 34
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval. I know 250 wasnt want you wanted but at least you didnt waste a HP. I feel you should have applied for Discover or Chase first as they would have been more generous with the credit line than Barclays. But now that you have Barclays, just garden and wait Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 28 of 34
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Most important that you are in and Barclays is not like Chase that lets you stuck with the approval conditions.. Barclays will grow with you Smiley Happy

Message 29 of 34
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats on your approval

@PandiferBear wrote:

Okay.  That was odd. 

So I called their backdoor number and spoke with a super helpful and friendly man.  He said that my report had not been pulled and asked if I wanted him to pull it.  I said yes.  He reviewed everything and asked some questions.  He was very complimentary about my payment history and that it looks like I am doing great.  He said the income was also no issue.  He did ask about the reason for there being several years with no credit card activity and about the new credit card activity and accounts more recently, and I explained it to him.  I let him know I was not wanting to have any other applications in the near future and that I was hoping to get Barclay because I hear they are a wonderful company to grow with and I am looking at growing my new lines of credit now.  He said that since some of the cards are pretty new - four and five months old - they just want to see a little more history on those cards.  He said to keep doing what I am doing because it looks good.  I asked how long I should wait before trying again, and he said 4 to 6 months.  I thanked him for all his help and let him know that I would be getting back with them then. 

Bummer. 

But - wait - what is that?  The phone is ringing and it is an unknown number?  Hello?  Oh, it's Barclays.  They called back just a few minutes later and said they actually could get me approved for a low limit.  Then instead of working on getting approved, I would be working on getting the limit increased.  WHAT?  Woo!  So now I have a teeny tiny $250.00 limit, but I am in the door and more than happy to start growing my new line of credit. 

Smiley Happy

I am so excited despite my little limit.  They really have phenomenal customer service.  And this is great incentive to keep myself locked tightly in the garden.  Thanks everyone for all the help and encouragement.  I never would have thought to try calling before coming to these boards!

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.