cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay - so many swipes, so little increases...

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay - so many swipes, so little increases...

I just think the Barclay Rewards card is intended as a "starter card" type of product, similar to a Quicksilver One, etc. While I can't prove anything, I would tend to think there is less tendency for Barclay to give large limits and increases on this type of product. The demographic are people just starting out or rebuilding so you haven't "proven" yourself yet, hence the lower limits. Even after responsible use, I think the product is just in a lower tier and you will never see huge limits. That said, to be honest, a limit over 10k on the card seems very respectable given the tier of the product, and not unreasonable given your other limits.

Barclay's in general seems to be kind of in a flux at the moment; their card lineup has been pared down quite a bit outside of cobranded cards. Just speculating but I wouldn't expect too much generosity out of them.

Message 11 of 19
Klesko
Regular Contributor

Its different for everyone really. 

I went from 1k-16k on my barclays arrival + in 25 months. 

I put a ton of usage on it during the first year. I asked for CLI every 6 months. I would call for a soft CLI then if one was not avliable I would take a hard pull. I went from 1k to 6k with a hard. I went from 6k to 10k with a hard. I went from 10k to 13k with a soft. I went from 13k to 16k with a hard. 

Penfed Visa 10k | Penfed PLOC 25k | Citi Hhonors 10k | Total Rewards Visa $25k | Alliant Visa $15k | Barclays Arrival + $13k | Barclays AAdvantage $5k | Barclays Apple $2.2k | CapOne QS WMC $26.5k | CapOne QS $5k | CapOne Plat $5k | Discover 8.5k | Allegacy Visa $6k | DCU Visa $7.5k | Best Buy Visa $11k | Lowes Store Card $30k | Walmart Store Card $10k | Amazon Store Card $25k
Message 12 of 19
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

use it less. dont stop completely but you said that you are getting bigger increases on a card you dont use as much. I dont use mine much and I have had no problem getting one. so maybe try that.

Starting Score (Oct '13): 473 (EX), Current Score: MyFICO EX: 713 EQ: 715 TU: 717, Goal Score: 740 & above. Capital One Quicksilver: $2250, Discover IT: $9500, Chase Amazon Store Card: $2600, Care Credit: $15000, Barclays Rewards: $1850 BCE: 20,000, PenFed Visa Sig: 7,000 NFCU cashRewards $24,600
Message 13 of 19
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Onthe27thday wrote:

use it less. dont stop completely but you said that you are getting bigger increases on a card you dont use as much. I dont use mine much and I have had no problem getting one. so maybe try that.

I mentioned that to the representitive when my Apple card received it's last increase.  I pointed out that I hardly use it and it keeps growing while my Rewards card hardly sees anything. She couldn't tell me why.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 14 of 19
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Even at a $20k CL, it would still be a Barclaycard Rewards card. Your Venture would seem to be a natural substitute as a primary spend card. Are you thinking of dropping Venture?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 19
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'll be keeping that one. Actually, I'd like to combine my Cap1 cards when I can get that feature to work. Either one card with a $50K limit or two at $25K. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 16 of 19
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

*** Not a fan of Barclay ***

However maybe ignoring them and making them work for your swipes will get them off their @$$ when it comes to growing the active card.  Otherwise if you want to keep them around for age / util / etc. then just find some small monthly bill like netflix/hulu/cell and set the autopay to take care of it.

YES, you do have too many Cap1 cards Smiley Wink

Combine them either online or through a call.... Personally I would go with a single 50K line over 2 @ 25K.  

It's time to start thinking about shuffling things up if the cards in your siggy are current.  Merrick is a sorespot for most due to fees.  Lowe's / WM / JCP are Synch'd and prone to a reduction or closure with the evaluations they've been doing for the past year.  They do work as nice buffers but, they've served their purpose.

Message 17 of 19
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've been trying to get the Cap 1 account combination to work for me for over a year. Have even called them a few times. No luck yet!

My Merrick card doesn't have an A/F. I keep it hidden in my car incase I leave home without my wallet. I learned by doing that once so it's a nice backup. 

As for the Lowes, JCP and WM, I use them most months and hope that I don't run into the problem that some others have. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 18 of 19
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

YES, you do have too many Cap1 cards Smiley Wink

@Combine them either online or through a call.... Personally I would go with a single 50K line over 2 @ 25K. 

Wouldn't the OP run the risk of having a single 50k card NOT count on his utilization for Fico scoring purposes? I've read that Fico stops factoring "jumbo" limit cards. I can't recall, but I seem to think that 50k was the limit???

If I'm correct, OP would best bee served with perhaps two large Cap1's as opposed to one JUMBO card.  Maybe someone can correct me if I'm mistaken??

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.