Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay to offer a new AA card

tag
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Barclay to offer a new AA card

So I saw this posted online today and thought some of the members might be interested, ESP those still reporting a BK 

American Airlines announced today that they have extended their relationship agreements with both of their credit card issuers, Citi and Barclaycard US. The agreement will allow Citi to, “continue offering its lineup of cards to new customers through multiple exclusive channels such as digital – including aa.com – mobile, direct mail, and Admirals Club lounges.”

This isn’t a surprise, but look what comes next:

The agreements will also allow Barclaycard US, the payments business of Barclays in the United States, to offer its cards to new customers in airports and exclusively during flights beginning in January 2017.

Analysis

This is really great news since it means we will see continued competition between Citi and Barclaycard when it comes to the AAdvantage credit cards. While Barclaycard won’t be able to offer their cards online, it sounds like it will be easy enough to get one if you want it. There is no word as to whether they will continue to offer the same exact Aviator line of cards or tweaked versions, but my guess is they will be the same. Either way, more competition and more options to earn miles is a good thing. It is too bad that the AAdvantage program has become fairly terrible lately with devaluations and an overall lack of award space.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay to offer a new AA card

This is cool. I considered the Citi AA card but decided against it since I don't travel with AA that much.
Message 2 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@morgacj2004 wrote:

So I saw this posted online today and thought some of the members might be interested, ESP those still reporting a BK 

American Airlines announced today that they have extended their relationship agreements with both of their credit card issuers, Citi and Barclaycard US. The agreement will allow Citi to, “continue offering its lineup of cards to new customers through multiple exclusive channels such as digital – including aa.com – mobile, direct mail, and Admirals Club lounges.”

This isn’t a surprise, but look what comes next:

The agreements will also allow Barclaycard US, the payments business of Barclays in the United States, to offer its cards to new customers in airports and exclusively during flights beginning in January 2017.

Analysis

This is really great news since it means we will see continued competition between Citi and Barclaycard when it comes to the AAdvantage credit cards. While Barclaycard won’t be able to offer their cards online, it sounds like it will be easy enough to get one if you want it. There is no word as to whether they will continue to offer the same exact Aviator line of cards or tweaked versions, but my guess is they will be the same. Either way, more competition and more options to earn miles is a good thing. It is too bad that the AAdvantage program has become fairly terrible lately with devaluations and an overall lack of award space.

Nice heads up, thanks.  Will wait this time for AF and other particulars.  Mine was US Airways (threw away the unused lounge pass already payed for recently), then AA red to silver, then no fee arrival (actually used the cash back option on that one) to be closed and rolled into Sallie Mae.  I mainly use the points for Alaska Airlines, but Barclays does offer bonuses I have not seen with citi.  Interesting if those are offered with the new cards.  Otherwise, if I get back to traveling heavily re retirement, it's AA card, CSP or Alaska Airlines.

Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 6
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

That woud make me interested in the AA card, if it was issued from Barclay, they treat me fairly currently.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Good info. They haven't been playing fair with me though lol.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Aw, the aviator cards won't be unique and exclusive anymore. :-(

Time to cancel mine. Lolol. Jk
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.