Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay you jealous *@!&

tag
gettingthere2013
Contributor

Re: Barclay you jealous *@!&

@Mannymal wrote:

Good to know about this. I have a Barclay Apple card that I got approved for a Macbook Pro I bought three months ago. CL is low and APR is high, so I just plan to use it for 0% Apple purchases. Just a few weeks ago I went on a very successful app spree in which I got onboard with AMEX, Chase, Discover, and GE. If Barclay pulls this crap on me I'll call a backdoor number and demand an explanation, and if they insist, I'll never use the card again. I'll just make my Apple purchases through Amazon and use GE's Amazon card 0% financing. 

It would be a shame as I was planning on getting the Arrival as a travel card, I'd just look elsewhere for a no international transaction TL. 

I called the backdoor number when mine was canceled and it was a waste of a phone call, they did nothing but say you can reapply after 6 months.

MYFICO SCORES: 06/2013 = 697 (TU) - 06/2013 = 685 (EQ) - 06/2013 = 666 (EX)

Capital One Quicksilver $2500 (07/2013) Walmart Credit Card $550 (06/2013) Barclaycard Rewards $1300 (06/2013) Chase Freedom $1500 (06/3013) Chase Amazon $500 (7/2013) TTCU $2500 (7/2013)
Jcrew $650 (06/2013) Express $500 (06/2013) Victoria Secret $350 (06/2013) Macys $300 (08/2013) Phillips 66 CU $6000 (08/2013) Capital One Venture $5000 (10/2013) Discover IT $1000 (10/2013) Chase Disney $1500 (10/2013)

DENIED: BOFA Unsecured (06/2013, EX)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Mannymal wrote:

Good to know about this. I have a Barclay Apple card that I got approved for a Macbook Pro I bought three months ago. CL is low and APR is high, so I just plan to use it for 0% Apple purchases. Just a few weeks ago I went on a very successful app spree in which I got onboard with AMEX, Chase, Discover, and GE. If Barclay pulls this crap on me I'll call a backdoor number and demand an explanation, and if they insist, I'll never use the card again. I'll just make my Apple purchases through Amazon and use GE's Amazon card 0% financing. 

It would be a shame as I was planning on getting the Arrival as a travel card, I'd just look elsewhere for a no international transaction TL. 

And an explanation they will provide you.  It is plain as day written as part of your T&C.  They hold the gold and that's part of their risk management policy.  Of course, you have other choices when it comes to not wanting to do business with Barclays.  But so do they.

Message 12 of 37
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I got my Arrival in March of 2013 and I havent apped for anything since then.  Other than a possible mortgage refi (which I will call and give them a heads up before I start the process), I have no intention of getting a card within that 1 year period of when I apped for the Arrival.  The only exception is I may app for one card before mortgage hits if I refi. and it would be an AMEX so wouldnt really show up as new account other than inquiry.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 37
slweal87
Contributor

WOW I guess I have to be really careful with my Arrival... do you think HP for an apartment rental would set them off?

Luckily I already went on an app spree this year. Got 6 new cards... so I was trying to stay in the garden anyways.

I got a CL of 3,000... if I charge about 1,000 in one transaction (perhaps a mac product to pay off during the 0% intro period)  do you think they would decrease my CL?

1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 14 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@slweal87 wrote:

WOW I guess I have to be really careful with my Arrival... do you think HP for an apartment rental would set them off?

Luckily I already went on an app spree this year. Got 6 new cards... so I was trying to stay in the garden anyways.

I got a CL of 3,000... if I charge about 1,000 in one transaction (perhaps a mac product to pay off during the 0% intro period)  do you think they would decrease my CL?

I doubt an apartment rental HP (or a couple of them depending if you're shopping around) would set them ablaze in "jealousy".  And, you're already doing the right thing by not applying for more credit cards or overextending yourself.

As far as charging $1K, no they would not DCL, your card was intended for such usage.  I suppose you can call them ahead and let them know you plan on making a large transaction but they probably wouldn't bat an eye.  Just exercise common sense that's all.

Message 15 of 37
Mannymal
New Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Mannymal wrote:

And an explanation they will provide you.  It is plain as day written as part of your T&C.  They hold the gold and that's part of their risk management policy.  Of course, you have other choices when it comes to not wanting to do business with Barclays.  But so do they.

So its in their T&C that opening other tradelines is a violation of the agreement? Again if they pull this on me I'll be happy to part ways. There is nothing they offer that can't be found elsewhere. But they lose a responsible and diligent customer. That part of their risk management policy is stupid, and would have come without warning to me, if not for this thread. 

AMEX BCE: $3000, CHASE Freedom: $4000, Discover IT: $2,500, Barclay Apple: $1700, Barclay Arrival: $3,000, GE Amazon Store: $6000, Amazon CHASE Visa: $500, American Airlines Federal Credit Union: $6000, Macy's: $600. GARDENING 01/15/15

Starting Score: TU FICO: 630
Current Score: TU FICO: 734 EX FICO: 704
Goal Score: 760+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 37
Stralem
Established Contributor

Yeah, I don't think they like all those huge trade lines from other lenders. They aren't lying when they say Barclays is weird. My 3rd credit card ever was their NFL Extra Points, which I got around October of 2011. I went a whole year without applying for anything else, and when I added my Apple Finaning, Chase, Discover, and CareCredit cards all within a few months of each other?

Not a peep.

And when I received CLIs on all of those accounts?

Nothing.

Instead, Barclays gave me several auto CLIs seemingly in return. They like me for some reason, but they've struck down others with the fist of an angry god for doing far less.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 17 of 37
brianjb
Contributor

@Mannymal wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Mannymal wrote:

So its in their T&C that opening other tradelines is a violation of the agreement? Again if they pull this on me I'll be happy to part ways. There is nothing they offer that can't be found elsewhere. But they lose a responsible and diligent customer. That part of their risk management policy is stupid, and would have come without warning to me, if not for this thread. 

I agree with you.  I am responsible as well.  I think it's ridiculous that they would punish me.  It's not like I am racking up tons of debt.  I am only in the single digits as far as utilization is concerned across the board.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 18 of 37
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

To change the issue a little bit, has anyone ever had AA from Barclays, while having a TL over $5k (let's say that's the starting limit on receipt).

Message 19 of 37
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Bottom line, while you can disagree with their policies, it is what it is.  If you present any sort of risk to them while having a tradeline with them, it is within their right to take action - like it or not.  There's lots of individuals who don't particularly like Barclays and that's OK.  As mentioned earlier, that's just how they operate.  No one forces an individual to go rack up inquiries or add several new accounts in such a short time frame.  I've had up to 5 CC's with them (combined CLs $48K) in the span of 10 years - in fact just closed 2 not long ago and reallocated CLs to a couple others, I have yet to encounter any issues.  Of course, I don't do "app sprees" rack up needless inquiries or do anything that places me on any lender's radar for any AA.  Just common sense.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.