Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay :(

That is pretty dramatic.  I've been in those shoes as well, but I deserved it.  I was missing payments and they lowered my limit to the card balance.  It was devestating and embarrassing, but can't say I didn't deserve it.  Your situation sounds the opposite.  For the record, Barclays has always been pretty fair to me even though that situation was rough, but it was symptom of a bigger problem [my irresponsibility].  They used to raise my limit without warning, but I guess that swings both ways.  Good luck

Message 21 of 37
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Thanks for sharing this experience.

With so many different opinions in favor of as well as against the way Barclays makes headlines so often, one thing is for sure.

You have to keep trying and make adjustments when and where neccessary to see matters stay as level as possible.

Best of luck for better times after this.

Message 22 of 37
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Cancel it!

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry but there must be credit concerns if they decreased you. I actually used to work in the area and you must have some type of credit issues even if its with other banks. Other banks do it too, Barclay's is not the only one. There is no such thing as a CLD for 'no real reason'. A common theme is increase in debt. Take some time to pay off your balances, call them back and they may reinstate it.

Message 24 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry but there must be credit concerns if they decreased you. I actually used to work in the area and you must have some type of credit issues even if its with other banks. Other banks do it too, Barclay's is not the only one. There is no such thing as a CLD for 'no real reason'. A common theme is increase in debt. Take some time to pay off your balances, call them back and they may reinstate it.

Not to sound snarky but you don't really know what you're talking about. 

There's one thread a week on here about Barclaycard CLD'ing people. 

Message 25 of 37
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not to sound snarky but you don't really know what you're talking about. 

There's one thread a week on here about Barclaycard CLD'ing people. 

Yes, lots of Barclay CLD. 

My one and only Barclay app was 3 years ago. Denied, and as I have said before, probably a good thing. Now that I have the approval for the CSP, and will be working on existing accounts, even some closures, a Barclays app may be happening mid 2018. I want to see how they react, if I get approval, and whether any AA happens. My file is rather tame now, no significant utilization issues, and poking a bear can be an experience. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 26 of 37
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would be suprised to find that a bank would reduce someone's CL for no reason too.  While I am not sure what the reasons that they use to do that, I am sure that if you can afford to not revolve balances then you would be AA proof.  If Bank A does a CLD and you need the credit you may be able to go to Bank B and get it there.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

You should never close a CC unless they are charging a monthly or yearly fee that you don't want to pay.

If you want you can just stop using the card, or use it and PIF each month.

To each his own ... closed many cards over the years as I moved to the best cards for my spend. It has not affected my credit bureaus and closed accounts stay on the report generally ten years. Trying to maintain too many cards can be a headache. Totally personal choice. It has worked well for me. Whether they are AF or not I did not choose to chase using them to keep the lender from closing them for inactivity. My credit experiences span many years so I have a solid track record of successes.

Message 28 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

To each his own ... closed many cards over the years as I moved to the best cards for my spend. It has not affected my credit bureaus and closed accounts stay on the report generally ten years. Trying to maintain too many cards can be a headache. Totally personal choice. It has worked well for me. Whether they are AF or not I did not choose to chase using them to keep the lender from closing them for inactivity. My credit experiences span many years so I have a solid track record of successes.

I agree with this.

FICO only needs to see 5 credit cards that are aged over 24 months.  Anything over that is just gravy.

In my research, the folks who are most afraid of closing accounts are those who are over-extended and are paying too much in interest.  The typical excuses for not closing cards are:

1. I need all of them to help utilization -- meaning they can't pay off debts.  Pay down debts and you won't need so many cards for utilization purposes.
  2. I'm afraid it will hurt my AAoA -- closing cards doesn't hurt AAoA for 10 years, at which point the cards you don't close will more than make up for it.
  3. I get rewards from the store cards -- if you're overextended, you don't need to shop at any of those stores except maybe Walmart.

In general, if you're not overextended with debt, closing cards will decrease financial anxiety.  Keep your 5 best cards (rewards-wise) and nuke the rest and you won't stress over having to check every card twice a month to make sure no charges went through.

I'm at 10 cards now but planning to chop down to 5 cards this year.  Long term needs are well met with just 5 cards but I still don't qualify for the 2 more that I want to maximize rewards.  Once I have those 2, the rest go in the shredder.   It's possible other cards will be released that might help me maximize rewards, but right now I'm not seeing anything that might come out to compete with what is already out there.

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

they decreased me when one of my cards was still Sallie Mae after I opened 2 new accounts in 4 months.

It's good to know that. I've been eying (a little) the Barclay Arrival, and have noticed a lot of posters not being too happy with Barclay anymore.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.