Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BarclayCard MC Rewards thoughts?

tag
ray8806
Regular Contributor

BarclayCard MC Rewards thoughts?

I've heard conflicting things about this card. Some people say Barclay will just suddenly close your account, etc. But then again, getting 2x the points on groceries and gas would be good too. 

So, I'm not sure if the card is worth the hassle with trying to deal with Barclay. Any thoughts?

EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: BarclayCard MC Rewards thoughts?

There's a pretty deep thread on Barclay's that might be of some use to you. Good Luck.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-CC-let-s-put-our-heads-together/td-p/2297693/pa...

Message 2 of 13
bk510
Valued Contributor

@ray8806 wrote:

I've heard conflicting things about this card. Some people say Barclay will just suddenly close your account, etc. But then again, getting 2x the points on groceries and gas would be good too. 

So, I'm not sure if the card is worth the hassle with trying to deal with Barclay. Any thoughts?

That my friend is over-blown....imo.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 3 of 13
ray8806
Regular Contributor

Lol, yeah I know it's overblown. But just because of a new card/inquiry, they close it. Or too many inquiries for CLIs.

And I might skim through that thread but 75 pages is a lot hehe
EQ: 710(FICO) EX: 695(FICO) TU: 708(FICO)
Message 4 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And if you want long threads, look at the one on the new Citi Double Cash card.   This is 2% on everything, whereas Barclays Rewards is 2% only on some things.     Since it is new we don't know if it is harder to get than the Rewards card though

Message 5 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@ray8806 wrote:
Lol, yeah I know it's overblown. But just because of a new card/inquiry, they close it. Or too many inquiries for CLIs.

And I might skim through that thread but 75 pages is a lot hehe

I know, that's why i posted that link for page 75 instead of page 1 for ya'  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 13
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Dealing with Barclays is not a hassle. And they have a very nice web site. However, getting that card for a couple 2X categories isn't the best plan. Look into whether you might be able to get the Sallie Mae MasterCard (which is also a Barclay card):  https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

There are plenty of card that give 2% back on any purchase, and if you are willing to consider 1.5% then you have even more choices. So try to get one of those as a base plan, and work on getting the various cards that give 5% on certain categories when you can.

non-category BBR.png

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 13
grizindabox
Valued Member

I use my Barclay Rewards card for everything that qualifies for 2% rewards (gas, groceries, utilities) and my Cap 1 QS for everything else. 

Message 8 of 13
maksimfa
Contributor

It is a great starter card, and even as you grow.  The BEST part about it... gets you in with Barclays, and their 2% category is very loose... such as utilities.  The only card as far as I know that does.

I have a few forums that I own, and they count web hosting as utilities.  Same with cell phones, etc.

Barclays Rewards boost is also good.

They are very good bank to have in your pocket.

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@maksimfa wrote:

It is a great starter card, and even as you grow.  The BEST part about it... gets you in with Barclays, and their 2% category is very loose... such as utilities.  The only card as far as I know that does.

I have a few forums that I own, and they count web hosting as utilities.  Same with cell phones, etc.

Barclays Rewards boost is also good.

They are very good bank to have in your pocket.

Right, but with the 2% on everything cards, having loose 2% categories isn't that useful

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.