Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Arrival Plus FRAUD

tag
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Barclaycard Arrival Plus FRAUD

Free Fraud Alert: Barclaycard Arrival Plus Card ending in XXXX - A charge for $160.44 at KROGER FUEL #1638 was NOT APPROVED on 09/30. Reply 1 if valid. Reply 2 if not valid. Reply HELP for Help, STOP to cancel Fraud Alerts.

Just got off the phone with Barclaycard. Cancel my card and they will FedEx one out and it will arrive Tuesday. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard Arrival Plus FRAUD

Glad it was caught! 

Message 2 of 17
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Nice job on them picking it up quick, and alerting you.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

different from my experience. 2nd time using arrival+, got flagged for fraud - swipe was declined. called them to tell them it was me. passed security qs and was put on hold. came back and 'grilled' me about why i changed my phone numbers on my account recently??? i told him i've only interchanged my numbers (primary to secondary and vice versa). same old numbers on file like my old sallie mae/commence. nothing is new. he then asked who the carriers are. i said at&t thru straight talk and a google number. both mine. he came back with they're not showing up with your name. we'll gonna need you to send copies of - id, ss card f&b and a utility bill. at this point i just wanna hang up from this overzealous 'credit relation' guy(?). so i just said, ok. he told me where to fax them and told me it's for my own protection yadda yadda. so right now i'm waiting for them to review my docs. i almost wanted to just close the card but i figured, i've already took a ding on inq, new tradeline and aaoa so i might as well keep it. we'll see how it goes and how i feel when i follow up in a couple of days.

btw i didn't get a fraud alert or something. 'else i would have replied with 'yes'. hmmm did you have to sign up for it somewhere at barclay site or was it auto?

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

different from my experience. 2nd time using arrival+, got flagged for fraud - swipe was declined. called them to tell them it was me. passed security qs and was put on hold. came back and 'grilled' me about why i changed my phone numbers on my account recently??? i told him i've only interchanged my numbers (primary to secondary and vice versa). same old numbers on file like my old sallie mae/commence. nothing is new. he then asked who the carriers are. i said at&t thru straight talk and a google number. both mine. he came back with they're not showing up with your name. we'll gonna need you to send copies of - id, ss card f&b and a utility bill. at this point i just wanna hang up from this overzealous 'credit relation' guy(?). so i just said, ok. he told me where to fax them and told me it's for my own protection yadda yadda. so right now i'm waiting for them to review my docs. i almost wanted to just close the card but i figured, i've already took a ding on inq, new tradeline and aaoa so i might as well keep it. we'll see how it goes and how i feel when i follow up in a couple of days.

btw i didn't get a fraud alert or something. 'else i would have replied with 'yes'. hmmm did you have to sign up for it somewhere at barclay site or was it auto?

Thanks for the heads up ... did not know switching telephone numbers around would send the world into a tail spin!

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Saleen099 wrote:

Free Fraud Alert: Barclaycard Arrival Plus Card ending in XXXX - A charge for $160.44 at KROGER FUEL #1638 was NOT APPROVED on 09/30. Reply 1 if valid. Reply 2 if not valid. Reply HELP for Help, STOP to cancel Fraud Alerts.

Just got off the phone with Barclaycard. Cancel my card and they will FedEx one out and it will arrive Tuesday. 

Possibly a cloned card we here about so much in the news? I've been checking termals for movable objects attached before I swipe you never know.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dinosaur wrote:

Thanks for the heads up ... did not know switching telephone numbers around would send the world into a tail spin!

i did say something about that before i hanged up. something to the effect of 'i've had an account for 2+ yrs and i've never had this much trouble with you guys. i wish i didn't change my phone numbers then. it's the same numbers as before only interchanged and nothing on my file are new or changed'. he repeated that it's for my own protection. yeah sure guy!

so moral of the story... ONLY change personal infos (phone numbers, email, address, pins, etc) maybe after you've had your account for a while (mine was only 10 days old. card was 2 days old.) or when you know you won't be using the card for any forseeable future (a full statement cycle perhaps). or else this might happen to you.

Message 7 of 17
marty56
Super Contributor

Last year DW fell victem to the cloned card scam. Believe me what she wanted to do to that person if she caught them was not pretty.  I did want to watch though.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

i did say something about that before i hanged up. something to the effect of 'i've had an account for 2+ yrs and i've never had this much trouble with you guys. i wish i didn't change my phone numbers then. it's the same numbers as before only interchanged and nothing on my file are new or changed'. he repeated that it's for my own protection. yeah sure guy!

so moral of the story... ONLY change personal infos (phone numbers, email, address, pins, etc) maybe after you've had your account for a while (mine was only 10 days old. card was 2 days old.) or when you know you won't be using the card for any forseeable future (a full statement cycle perhaps). or else this might happen to you.

A while back @Anonymous reported that Chase was aware when he changed providers (but kept the same number) so the issuers apparently keep up with it.  He didn't face an account restriction, though.

I can see how if an account is literally brand-new an issuer might be concerned - especially if it's the address that's changing - however IMO it's a bit extreme to restrict an account over a phone number update.  Some might even say it's counterintuitive, since you would think an issuer would want to have the most current number on file.

Irish's thread is here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amazing-how-quickly-CC-companies-learn-about-any-changes-you/td-p/4764189

Message 9 of 17
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I think the banks obsess over the phone number changes because they use text messages for two-factor authentication.  If a bad guy gets both your card and your phone number, the bank can't catch him.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.