Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard?

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard?

Haven't heard of this card before it posted on creditkarma just now...has it been around for a while or did it just come out? Info here: https://www.creditkarma.com/creditcard/CCBarclays1245?originEvent=246980038

It's like the regular Chase Sapphire and Capital One's VentureOne had a baby o.O 2x on travel and dining, 1x everything else, no foreign transaction fee, no annual fee, 10,000 bonus miles after $1,000 spent within 90 days of account opening.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pkosheta
Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard?

The difference I see is the CSP has a 20 discount on points used for travel vs arrivals 10% discount, CSP has a 7% dividend, and CSP has the ability to transfer points 1:1 to many different programs. Oh CSP also has a 95 dollar fee...  Wen I call to downgrade my CSP, I plan to mention this card to see if I can get a fee waiver or something because arrival has arrived and will be a threat to non chase trifecta cardholders.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 2 of 5
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@pkosheta wrote:

The difference I see is the CSP has a 20 discount on points used for travel vs arrivals 10% discount, CSP has a 7% dividend, and CSP has the ability to transfer points 1:1 to many different programs. Oh CSP also has a 95 dollar fee...  Wen I call to downgrade my CSP, I plan to mention this card to see if I can get a fee waiver or something because arrival has arrived and will be a threat to non chase trifecta cardholders.

Definitely! And I am comparing it to the regular CS, not the CSP. I agree that CSP does have better benefits than the Arrival that compensates for the annual fee, but this Arrival makes the regular CS look like a joke!

Arrival seems to have the VentureOne benefit of redeeming for a travel statement credit, which means 1 to 1 no matter how you want to book it, which could threaten CSP in the fact that you can only book through Ultimate Rewards or by transferring to other programs.

I was also happy to see this!: Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies

RAILWAY TICKETS ARE INCLUDED IN THEIR TRAVEL BENEFITs?! happy days Smiley Very Happy not sure if NJTransit would count, I would think probably since it may not be coded as a "passenger railway" since NJTransit also does buses. I do take the train a good amount each year to get back and forth from school to home. but for people who use AmTrak and the like I am sure this is very useful!

Message 3 of 5
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

seems like a good choice for those who don't travel or dine enough to justify the csp fee or for those who can't take advantage of ur transfer of points. statement credits for travel are never as good a deal as mile awards, but they are less hassle and more practical if you fly a different airline every trip.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 5
kekrre
Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@pkosheta wrote:

Definitely! And I am comparing it to the regular CS, not the CSP. I agree that CSP does have better benefits than the Arrival that compensates for the annual fee, but this Arrival makes the regular CS look like a joke!

Arrival seems to have the VentureOne benefit of redeeming for a travel statement credit, which means 1 to 1 no matter how you want to book it, which could threaten CSP in the fact that you can only book through Ultimate Rewards or by transferring to other programs.

I was also happy to see this!: Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies

RAILWAY TICKETS ARE INCLUDED IN THEIR TRAVEL BENEFITs?! happy days Smiley Very Happy not sure if NJTransit would count, I would think probably since it may not be coded as a "passenger railway" since NJTransit also does buses. I do take the train a good amount each year to get back and forth from school to home. but for people who use AmTrak and the like I am sure this is very useful!

Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I really don't think that this card is anything to get excited about. I think the following are much better statement credit type rewards cards (the last is actually closer to the CSP, without the ability to transfer to any airlines):

BankAmericard Travel Rewards - 1.5% back per dollar, 3% back when booking on BoA's site, 0% FTF and chip-and-signature standard --- the only card to offer this high rewards rate, 0% FTF and chip-and-signature in a $0 AF card (compare to Barclaycard at 2.2% on everything for $89/yr or 2.2% dining/1.1% everything for free).

Blue Sky Preferred - 1.33% back, 2.66% on dining, hotel and car rental, $75 annual fee offset by $100 annual incidental fee allowance (2 people's luggage on a round trip? 1 person taking 2 round trips/yr with luggage?)

Citi ThankYou Premier - hefty annual fee ($125), 1.33% back (on travel), 1.6% back on grocery, drugstore, gas, parking, bus, bonus miles equivalent to actual miles flown credited on the lesser of total purchases or total bonus miles accrued

I'd say overall, the Arrival is pretty boring. Their deal seems to be the extra 10% bonus in point value, but I just don't see the value (or in the Escape or Venture cards either).

FWIW, the added value from the 2% everywhere is reached when you spend $8090/yr in what would be non-bonus categories. Since you would get 2% on the bonus categories anyway, they don't count against the opportunity cost of having the higher AF card.

Finally, the regular CS is not a travel card. It is a... dining? card? It doesn't do much, and it is kind of a joke. Just having a Freedom would pay 2%/yr with 1 restaurant bonus category.

|||||||
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.