Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard CashForward Product Change Option

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclaycard CashForward Product Change Option

Hi folks,

As one of my main card before I got 2%+ cashback credit card, this card became useless to me. However, there are few Barcley cobranded card I have interest or even Arrival series. I tried to ask customer service for product change but they always say it's impossible to do product change on this card. Does anyone have experience doing product change with Barclay?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclaycard CashForward Product Change Option

It generally sounds like Barclays is not a fan of PC'ing cards.  Some people have had success PC'ing their discontinued Sallie Mae card into the Rewards or Cash Forward card.  In almost every instance they had to get past the main CSR and speak with an analyst.  I would be skeptical of it woud work to PC the Cash Forward, but you never know.

Message 2 of 5
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Hi, my experience twice with "PC" ing a barclaycard with a co branded is you apply for the co branded card, if you are accepted, call and close the old card and have them move CL over to the new card. If you are declined, or "they need more time" call recon line tell them you want to close your existing card and can they then move that CL over and approve the co branded card you want....in both instances that has worked for me, BUT you do take a HP hit on doing that and of course you would lose the history of your old card, BUT if another card works better for you......others may post different experiences....good luck on whatever you choose to do!!

Message 3 of 5
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@odd_dog wrote:

Hi, my experience twice with "PC" ing a barclaycard with a co branded is you apply for the co branded card, if you are accepted, call and close the old card and have them move CL over to the new card. If you are declined, or "they need more time" call recon line tell them you want to close your existing card and can they then move that CL over and approve the co branded card you want....in both instances that has worked for me, BUT you do take a HP hit on doing that and of course you would lose the history of your old card, BUT if another card works better for you......others may post different experiences....good luck on whatever you choose to do!!

Yes, that's exactly how it's worked for me with Barclays. I had an NFl card that I got only for the 18 mo. 0% BT that enabled me to pay off a Prosper loan aandf then payoff the BT within the 18 mos. Last August I app'd for Cashforward and got the "we need more time". I called for recon and got it approved for $2500 CL. I then asked the rep to close my NFL & move the CL to Cashforward, which she was happy to do, giving me a $11,200 CL. I got the $100 spend bonus on Cashforward and then charged enough to reach the $50 minimum do redeem rewards, but have it sock drawered now to pay off the balance by the end of 12 mo. 0% into APR. Then I'd like to app for something else & close Cashforward as you need to charge over $3300 to reach the $50 threshold to redeem rewards, but they don't have anything I want anymore, they've nerfed everything except travel rewards & Apple rewards and I rarely travel and have never owned an Apple product & have no interest in getting one.

I love my Barclays Rewards MC, I only use for 2% rewards on gas, grocery & utilities, and every purchase at my local Walmart gets coded for 2%. But the Rewards MC is closed to new apps and I just hope they don't nerf it and would nervous to move my now $13,200 CL from Cashfroward to it.

Message 4 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@odd_dog wrote:

Yes, that's exactly how it's worked for me with Barclays. I had an NFl card that I got only for the 18 mo. 0% BT that enabled me to pay off a Prosper loan aandf then payoff the BT within the 18 mos. Last August I app'd for Cashforward and got the "we need more time". I called for recon and got it approved for $2500 CL. I then asked the rep to close my NFL & move the CL to Cashforward, which she was happy to do, giving me a $11,200 CL. I got the $100 spend bonus on Cashforward and then charged enough to reach the $50 minimum do redeem rewards, but have it sock drawered now to pay off the balance by the end of 12 mo. 0% into APR. Then I'd like to app for something else & close Cashforward as you need to charge over $3300 to reach the $50 threshold to redeem rewards, but they don't have anything I want anymore, they've nerfed everything except travel rewards & Apple rewards and I rarely travel and have never owned an Apple product & have no interest in getting one.

I love my Barclays Rewards MC, I only use for 2% rewards on gas, grocery & utilities, and every purchase at my local Walmart gets coded for 2%. But the Rewards MC is closed to new apps and I just hope they don't nerf it and would nervous to move my now $13,200 CL from Cashfroward to it.

With the abundance of 2% gen spend options out there, I think the Rewards MC is safe (that is, so long as Barclaycard as a whole is safe).   To open my CashForward, I had to use $10K of my $16500 Sallie Mae CL.   But then, I was able to PC my Sallie Mae to Rewards.   I want to see if either cards is eligible in about 6 months for CLI, but my eventual plan is to consolidate CashForward into Rewards.

As for the original question of whether or not it's "possible" to PC CashForward, it probably depends on your persistence and luck reaching the right analyst.   Supposedly, Sallie Mie was impossible to acquire as a PC, but some members claimed they were able to do it.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.