Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Gets Axed

tag
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Barclaycard Gets Axed

Barclaycard just declined my CLI request. I'm at the 6 month mark and decidced not to wait for auto-luv (more like auto-neglect) and just take a HP. Spoke to two analysts who cited "too many inquiries" (13) and high balance. I explained why the high balance and emphasized the low $750 CL is simply not enough for the amount of expenditure the card sees monthly. No dice. I told them that's fine, its a two way street and Barclaycard isn't worth my energy or dollars on a daily basis.

I've said several times I only want a few cards and at a grand total of 6 I have at least 2 too many. So Barclay will join Walmart in the sock drawer and at the 1st year aniiversary be served their divorce papers. That'll leave me with Amex, BankofAmeirica, Chase and Discover. That'll be just fine.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Gets Axed

Why don't you give them a full year?
Message 2 of 30
alvon123
Super Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:
Why don't you give them a full year?

+1  and at least the inquiries will not count since a year will have passed .(since Barclays are sticklers for inquiries)

Message 3 of 30
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Mainly because I don't need 6 cards and think the 6 month mark is a reasonable time period to be approved for a CLI (even tiny) for any lender. So since I don't need Barclaycard and my other lenders have given CLI within 6 months they get axed. The relationship isn't as beneficial as my others now.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 4 of 30
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Well, I hope that works out well for you.

Me, I would setup one or two of my utility bills to automatically charge to that card, and set the card to automatically pay in full each month, and set it aside. I would content myself in that getting 2% cash back is almost the best possible cash back rate for Utilities these days (assuming I can't get a Huntington Voice 3% card), and in addition to gaining the extra cash I would be showing Barclaycard steady, responsible use of the card. The Limit would increase itself eventually. My credit reports would become stronger and stronger.

That's just my viewpoint, of course.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 30
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

+1 @themanywhocan
Message 6 of 30
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, but I think there is some confusion.

1. I do not plan to close the account today. I will allow the card to remain open for the next 6 months so that it has a full year of history before I close it.

2. I don't need the card. My expenditures are currently low enough that the four other lender accounts would suffice.

3. I am planning to close it because I think Barclaycard will be to conservative despite my payment history with them on future CLI requests, too.

4. One less card to hassle with (2 actually as Walmart gets booted, too).

As far as scheduling automatic bill payments I never do that. And I have two 3 other rewards cards to so no big loss there. The best chaqnce for this account to stay open is if they surprise me with a significant auto-CLI before the 12th statement cuts. But seeing as I won't make any more charges to this card I doubt that will happen.

Message 7 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jasir wrote:

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, but I think there is some confusion.

1. I do not plan to close the account today. I will allow the card to remain open for the next 6 months so that it has a full year of history before I close it.

2. I don't need the card. My expenditures are currently low enough that the four other lender accounts would suffice.

3. I am planning to close it because I think Barclaycard will be to conservative despite my payment history with them on future CLI requests, too.

4. One less card to hassle with (2 actually as Walmart gets booted, too).

As far as scheduling automatic bill payments I never do that. And I have two 3 other rewards cards to so no big loss there. The best chaqnce for this account to stay open is if they surprise me with a significant auto-CLI before the 12th statement cuts. But seeing as I won't make any more charges to this card I doubt that will happen.

I think the suggestion for auto bill payment was to make use of this cards most unusual feature, 2% on utilities.  Of course, it doesn't have to be auto, that was just to make it no extra work.   However, this assumes that your utilities don't charge a service fee for credit card payment, as most of mine do.

That said, I did close my Barclays Reward after eight months.   They gave me a 6-month CLI, but from a very low limit, and wouldn't convert to World.  By then, I had a 2% card, so I just closed it.

Message 8 of 30
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

You are probably right, I have spent a fair amount on this card in the past.  I never got a CLI and had a few hassles in the beginning with them telling me my CL would be $1500 and then setting it at $750.  I had to contact the EO to get that worked out.  I actually opened up the Apple Financing card with them and later decided to change it to the rewards card.  The person I spoke with told me that to PC I had to reapply and then, even if declined, I could PC.  I thought this was weird, but did it.  Looking back I figure I was told that because the figured I would be approved and just keep both cards.  The limit on my financing card was $2,000, so it was even higher than the limit given and reconned later when it wasn't what I was told. 

I have had the card for 1.25 years and have never gotten an increase.  I won't close the card though, I will simply let it report and keep building my AAoA.  I figure at some point they will either axe me or respond properly.  I have on $6 bill applied to it every month to avoid closure!  I actually now regret closing the other cards I did close this year as it will impact the AAoA.  I should have simply left them open since there is no fee to do so.  I do understand how you feel though.  Maybe you should keep it open as an emergency card.  Not just for emergencies, but if your wallet/purse is stolen, fraud on another card, or other such thing happens....  After all there is no fee, no fee no foul...

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 30
sweettea
Frequent Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Well, I hope that works out well for you.

Me, I would setup one or two of my utility bills to automatically charge to that card, and set the card to automatically pay in full each month, and set it aside. I would content myself in that getting 2% cash back is almost the best possible cash back rate for Utilities these days (assuming I can't get a Huntington Voice 3% card), and in addition to gaining the extra cash I would be showing Barclaycard steady, responsible use of the card. The Limit would increase itself eventually. My credit reports would become stronger and stronger.

That's just my viewpoint, of course.

The very reason I added this card, especially getting cash back from bloodsucking Comcast, lol

Past - CH7 BK Discharged 01/09 | Rebuild Started 05/12 Present - All IIBs GONE! Future - 2015 Mortgage
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.