Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Gets Axed

tag
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Gets Axed

Lol @ blood sucking Comcast. I did consider just SDing it indefinitely or as a back-up emergency card, just making a small purchase every 3 months. I don't worry about AAOA because I don't intend to be apping for any more cards (I really only want to manage 3 or 4). Me only wanting so few cards is why I spent all those INQ on BoA, Chase, Discover & Amex -- because they are prime and can't think of any other card that is better suited for me than those (Citi for a minute but decided, nah!). Of course, if I come across a no AF card with 2% everywhere point structure I'd check it out and see who else can be replaced, lol!

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 11 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@Jasir wrote:

@Anonymous @ blood sucking Comcast. I did consider just SDing it indefinitely or as a back-up emergency card, just making a small purchase every 3 months. I don't worry about AAOA because I don't intend to be apping for any more cards (I really only want to manage 3 or 4). Me only wanting so few cards is why I spent all those INQ on BoA, Chase, Discover & Amex -- because they are prime and can't think of any other card that is better suited for me than those (Citi for a minute but decided, nah!). Of course, if I come across a no AF card with 2% everywhere point structure I'd check it out and see who else can be replaced, lol!

Fidelity Amex? 2% across the board.

Anyhow, just keep the card for a little longer and see if the situation improves. Otherwise, just run some small charges every few months to keep it open until you find something better.

You can also consider setting up automatic payment in full on this card. That way you really don't have to manage this card at all since it's just going to take money out of your bank account automatically.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 30
compassion101
Established Contributor

If you don't need the card why are you upset at not getting the CLI? And if they give you the CLI you would change your mind and use it? I'm just a bit confused as this doesn't make sense to me. Just as a suggestion maybe you are taking a CLI denial a little too personal. Don't let that get to you.

Message 13 of 30
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

@compassion101 wrote:

If you don't need the card why are you upset at not getting the CLI? And if they give you the CLI you would change your mind and use it? I'm just a bit confused as this doesn't make sense to me. Just as a suggestion maybe you are taking a CLI denial a little too personal. Don't let that get to you.

I am not upset. I never said I was and haven't behaved as if I am. I am am disappointed, certainly, but I am not taking this personally. This is a business and I am the consumer--the lenders need me more than I need them.  Therefore, I am aiming to have my portfolio work to my greatest benefit--not Barclays'. Really not sure why the option of keeping the card and using it if Barclay auto-CLI confuses you (that was the goal after all), but the ideal (for most of us) is to be in a lender-consumer relationship where our good financial practices are rewarded with more financial trust in the form of CLIs commensurate with our ability to repay.

If Barclay had said "your income is too low to honor an CLI" I would have been OK with that; yet, they are saying "too many inquiries" and "lets see you pay us more" even though I've paid on time and considerably more than the minimum each month. That is an indication to me of what to expect from Barclay for the next year at least. My other cards have all granted CLI within 6 months at my request--I appreciate that as a consumer and it gives me confidence that my CLs will continue to grow with proper management and time. Barclay may be just one step up from Capital One regarding CLIs and frankly I feel I'm at least five steps above that type of dickering.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

As we know credit is a game. My account with a department store was closed due to inactivity after three years with Barclays. I had one of their mastercards $1,200 CL reduced to $500 CL after six months of account opening with the reason "I was not utilizing the account enough". As has been stated, I believe credit is a two way street and when a lendor doesn't agree well maybe it is time to look elsewhere and I closed my big $500 CL account and never went back to Barclays. Funny and interesting how lendors profile us and it is hard to get them to adjust their thinking (not impossible but tough).

Message 15 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Jasir wrote:

@compassion101 wrote:

I am not upset. I never said I was and haven't behaved as if I am. I am am disappointed, certainly, but I am not taking this personally. This is a business and I am the consumer--the lenders need me more than I need them.  Therefore, I am aiming to have my portfolio work to my greatest benefit--not Barclays'. Really not sure why the option of keeping the card and using it if Barclay auto-CLI confuses you (that was the goal after all), but the ideal (for most of us) is to be in a lender-consumer relationship where our good financial practices are rewarded with more financial trust in the form of CLIs commensurate with our ability to repay.

While I agree with most of your post, the lenders clearly don't need you more than you need them unless you are a very profitable customer.   Neither of you will miss the other, and that's fine!

Message 16 of 30
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Jasir wrote:

This is a business and I am the consumer--the lenders need me more than I need them.

While I agree with most of your post, the lenders clearly don't need you more than you need them unless you are a very profitable customer.   Neither of you will miss the other, and that's fine!

It may just be a case of semantics, but I disagree for this reason: a business cannot thrive without consumers. However, consumers often can find what they need at other businesses. So when I say "the lenders need me" I am speaking generally, as in "lenders need us." Too often we sell ourselves short and discount our own power. Yes, I am only one person but I've seen businesses fail as one person after another stopped patronizing them. So Barclays needs me more than I need them. In fact, I don't need credit at all to have a fruitful life; it's just a convenience I enjoy.

Message 17 of 30
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Gets Axed - Update

Barclaycard is off the chopping block. They CLI'd me from $750 to $2050, SP.  Pleasant surprise and keeps them in my line-up.

Message 18 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Gets Axed - Update

Nice!!! They are a fickle bunch aren't they?!! CrazinessSmiley Happy congrats though!
Message 19 of 30
ptilda
Established Contributor

I'm actually on my break ... at Comcast, where I am employed as a private in his army of leeches! hehe... let me know if you need inside information on our best deals Smiley Wink

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.