Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards Card Closed for Inactivity - Data Point

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclaycard Rewards Card Closed for Inactivity - Data Point

Hello!!!

I apped for the Barclaycard Rewards card on 4/12/2016 with a plan of using it for a couple of balance transfers. I actually initiated one and then called and cancelled it because I got a better offer on another card. Since then I haven't used it, don't even know where the card went. 

In the beginning of March 2017 I got a letter in the mail telling me I had 30 days to use the card or they would close it. On 4/9/2017 MyFico reported the card as "Closed or paid account / zero balance Credit Card Account closed due to inactivity."

Just wanted to throw this out there as a data point for all those who worry about their cards being closed for inactivity. Smiley Happy

7 REPLIES 7
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Rewards Card Closed for Inactivity - Data Point

Sorry to hear that.  I have this card as well and have not used it in months.  For some odd reason (intution maybe?  LOL), I pulled it out last week and charged $40 on it and paid it off a few days later.  I hope that saves me from a closure.  I've been contemplating a new iPad purchase.  I suppose now is the time to do it!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 2 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

At least they informed you first, so it could have been avoided. But if one doesnt care, good to know. Scariest part of this post is you have no idea where your card wentSmiley Sad Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
At least they informed you first, so it could have been avoided. But if one doesnt care, good to know. Scariest part of this post is you have no idea where your card wentSmiley Sad Smiley Wink

No kidding!! I check them all online monthly but I should keep better track of the physical cards I don't use.

Message 4 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello!!!

I apped for the Barclaycard Rewards card on 4/12/2016 with a plan of using it for a couple of balance transfers. I actually initiated one and then called and cancelled it because I got a better offer on another card. Since then I haven't used it, don't even know where the card went. 

In the beginning of March 2017 I got a letter in the mail telling me I had 30 days to use the card or they would close it. On 4/9/2017 MyFico reported the card as "Closed or paid account / zero balance Credit Card Account closed due to inactivity."

Just wanted to throw this out there as a data point for all those who worry about their cards being closed for inactivity. Smiley Happy

Well, the Rewards MC is closed to new apps, so they may be a little more agressive on closing due to inactivity than others, but I think most CC companies would take a dim view of a new card never used for a year. It cost them $$$ to pull your credit, set up the account, and make a card & mail it to you, and they want at least swipe fees to recover the cost of a newly issued card.

I love my Rewards MC, It's one of the few non-top tier cards that gives you 2% rewards for utilities, my electric utility & internet service don't charge me a fee for CC payment so I have set it up to pay them. And Barclays codes all of my local Walmart purchases as groceries for 2% rewards, as it does for Family Dollar.

Message 5 of 8
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

And they keep getting stranger and stranger.  I have a couple small subscriptions being charged to mine each month that I pay in PIF.  I hope it keeps them happy.

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 6 of 8
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@oldman425 wrote:

And they keep getting stranger and stranger.  I have a couple small subscriptions being charged to mine each month that I pay in PIF.  I hope it keeps them happy.

This is all you really need to do. They just want to see "activity" on your account.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 7 of 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@oldman425 wrote:

It should be enough to keep them happy. I have a no-fee Merrick card I've way outgrown but the $3100 CL helps keep my utilization down on 0% BTs & new card intro rate. I toss Netflix & Tracfone at them and it seems to keep them happy.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.