Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard & PayPal Extras Update

tag
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Barclaycard & PayPal Extras Update

Need some serious advice. Sorry ahead of time this is a little long-winded:

I posted a message 2 weeks ago about how I applied for the PayPay Extras MC and received a decline (so I thought). At the time I immediately turned around and applied for the Barclaycard MC and was approved for $1,300. Tried for a recon to $2,500 and was rejected with my 701 Transunion. Hmmmmm! Anyways, I also mentioned I called PayPal Extra's to find out why the rejection. They said they had no record of my application and that I should apply again.

Okay, soooooo, taking their advice I went to my PayPal account to apply again and before I even got started with the application it said I had already applied and had to wait 30 days. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeak!  3-Stooges nostalgia.Smiley Mad So I call back to PayPal Extras (GE) AGAIN and explain everything and then they finally said: "the reason your applciation was not approved was because it was incomplete." Apparently it was missing half my social security number. ??? In the end I said screw it and am going to wait 30 to 45 days and re-apply.

Basically, in the end I am just trying to improve my collection of credit cards from sub-prime to prime. I would like to get rid of my CreditOne ($550 CL), Merrick ($750), and Walmart ($400) cards. Tried for a credit line increase with WalMart and was also rejected, even with my 701 and 9 months of PERFECT payment history with them. Overall, no lates on my credit report in over 5 years. 

Here's the question, finally: How much risk am I taking with Barclays when I re-apply for the PayPay Extras card in 30 to 45 days? I realize they are inquiry and utilization sensitve the first 6 months your account is open. I also just refinanced my car with Wells Fargo from 18% down to 9.5%. so I have 2 inquiries from that as well. The bottom line is I just want to end up with: Capital One ($1,500), Barclaycard ($1,300), PayPal Extras $1,500 to $2,500) and build my CL's over time. Going to cancel the others!

Advice please Smiley Frustrated

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclaycard & PayPal Extras Update

They are inquiry sensitive but from observation they like usage. So imho as long as you dont go overboard w apps withon 6 months and show geat usage and paymet history then its fine. The walmart is a great keep for the free fico score...if ur trying to dump it bc its not prime card then that paypal ur seeking is not prime either since they are both ge cards. I think ge is great since they are very generous w clis...great for those looking to increase tradelines...not as great as chase amex etc, but great to have imho

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 6
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

Need some serious advice. Sorry ahead of time this is a little long-winded:

I posted a message 2 weeks ago about how I applied for the PayPay Extras MC and received a decline (so I thought). At the time I immediately turned around and applied for the Barclaycard MC and was approved for $1,300. Tried for a recon to $2,500 and was rejected with my 701 Transunion. Hmmmmm! Anyways, I also mentioned I called PayPal Extra's to find out why the rejection. They said they had no record of my application and that I should apply again.

Okay, soooooo, taking their advice I went to my PayPal account to apply again and before I even got started with the application it said I had already applied and had to wait 30 days. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeak!  3-Stooges nostalgia.Smiley Mad So I call back to PayPal Extras (GE) AGAIN and explain everything and then they finally said: "the reason your applciation was not approved was because it was incomplete." Apparently it was missing half my social security number. ??? In the end I said screw it and am going to wait 30 to 45 days and re-apply.

Basically, in the end I am just trying to improve my collection of credit cards from sub-prime to prime. I would like to get rid of my CreditOne ($550 CL), Merrick ($750), and Walmart ($400) cards. Tried for a credit line increase with WalMart and was also rejected, even with my 701 and 9 months of PERFECT payment history with them. Overall, no lates on my credit report in over 5 years. 

Here's the question, finally: How much risk am I taking with Barclays when I re-apply for the PayPay Extras card in 30 to 45 days? I realize they are inquiry and utilization sensitve the first 6 months your account is open. I also just refinanced my car with Wells Fargo from 18% down to 9.5%. so I have 2 inquiries from that as well. The bottom line is I just want to end up with: Capital One ($1,500), Barclaycard ($1,300), PayPal Extras $1,500 to $2,500) and build my CL's over time. Going to cancel the others!

Advice please Smiley Frustrated

Really don't see any reason to keep CreditOne at this point. Doubt your utilization will spike from loosing 550. Get rid of them. Are you calling the right GE magic number? I don't have a GE account but I read the 10x and 15x CLI posts here all the time. Word on the board is never be afraid to ask with GE. Sort of odd they won't show you luv. I'd keep walmart for the free fico. Merrick can go when you have another card. But for now, why not axe creditone? It will feel good i promise. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 3 of 6
BackInTheSaddleAgain
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys, great advice.

FYI, I guess to clarify I am mostly looking for higher CL's on all my cards. Having all prime cards would be ideal, but given my circumstances I am probably another year away from cards like CITI, Chase, AmEx, etc. My BK wil be 7 years old in 2014 and although the BK itself won't fall off then, all the business debt that I PG'd and was discharged from will. Meaning, I will also have 7 years of perfect clean credit with only the BK of record. I will probably be in a much better position to be approved then.

Also, I do like the credit score benefit from both Walmart and Merrick. However, my CL's are so ridiculously low ($400 & $750, respectively) that it is difficult to justify having them. I am 57 years old and used to $15,000 to $25,000 CL's from prior to my BK. I realize that rebuilding is not a race! However, I also want to only keep cards that I can actually grow into. I spend at least $1,000 per month at Walmart and am tired of having to make multiple payments throughout the month... along with always worrying about going over my CL. So far they are showing me absolutely no love or any indication of any love in the near term future.

Ulization is not a concern as I pretty much pay all my cards off just prior to the statement cycling. That said, I will probably wait till just after applying again for the PayPal Extras next month before I dump CreditOne and Merrick.

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Just keep using that Barclay and treat it we'll they r very good w clis from what I gather so it will definitely grow w you. Same w that Walmart since you can ask for cli every 4th statement...once you can get ur score higher then app for chase amex etc Smiley Wink gl!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 5 of 6
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

My Paypal MC is my highest cl at $25,000.
Might be closer to a bigger line than you thought!
Good luck:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.