cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard just dropped to the bottom of my list...

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Barclaycard just dropped to the bottom of my list...

@dilettante wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Barclays did it to me two years. They suspended my account when I paid my brother's college tuition bills. They told me they didn't like big purchase when the account was new or suddenly put a big purchase on the card. They told me to call them first if I want to make a big purchase. Their card is not my everyday use card. 

Ron.

I put a 17k purchase on the card the day after I received it but I had told them when I called in to activate that I was going to put that much on and so the CSR notated my account and the charge went through without any problems.  I'll have to ask what amount is the thresh hold for calling in advance.  But I don't like the idea of having to call in whenever I make a "big" purchase so thanks for the heads up.

It is a hassale to call in for the big purchase. Some of the banks don't like it. Barclays is one of them. It prevents credit card fraud.  They stopped the charges coming through to protect them from credit card fraud.

I usually call the banks before I make a big purchase.

Ron.

Message 21 of 38
barbaralee
Established Contributor

It's not just Barclays. The iPhone triggered our system at work like crazy, and some really was fraud. Apparently one guy really flipped out on this girl because he didn't get to pre order his precious phone. #firstworldproblems

Message 22 of 38
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

First let me start off by saying I bought my iPhone on my Discover card because it was 2:00AM and I didnt feel like thinking about what would get me more rewards Smiley Happy  The purchase had no problem going through and my iPhone 6 Plus will be here Friday (shipped last night). 

Now on topic.  I've had other cards do this with purchases as low as 100 bucks, at the time I was glad they were looking out for my best interest, but it was slightly inconvenient.  Barclays has been really good to me since opening my first rewards card almost 2 years ago.  Now I have 3 of their cards, and I continue to be happy with them, sorry you didnt have the best luck, but in the end they were doing it for you.  Do you normally make large purchases on that card?  Some people have mentioned being flagged when making there first large purchase (after a pretty solid history of small purchases).  It sucks but next time I'd definitely call to to tell them about a large purchase before actually making it. 

Message 23 of 38
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Yes, it sucks, that it was your purchase that triggered it. And you'll have to wait an extra month for your phone. On the other hand, it could have been an identity thief. It's sounds like you are most livid about the standard auto reply email that everyone gets in order to let you know your email was received. I don't think it was personal, but the auto message that lets you know what's going to happen next. A short delay on a iPhone shouldn't ruin your day/week/month like that. Woosa my friend, woosa. You've made due until now, and didn't even know until a few days ago you wanted this item. It won't save your life. It will let you see YouTube bigger. Smiley Happy Remember, credit isn't your money that is in your bank account. It belongs to someone else and they are trying to make sure they aren't losing it to a criminal, cause if it wasn't you, they are out the money, not you. This could have happened with any card in your arsenal. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the phone!
Message 24 of 38
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I ordered my iphone from T-mobile on Friday afternoon by phone. I gave up trying to do it online. I gave them my Barclay's card which won't even be charged (about $160) until the phone ships. A few hours later, I got an email from Barclay's saying my new replacement card is on it's way. Something about due to some recent activity on my card, they are issuing a new card with new acct. number as a fraud precaution. I haven't used the card for a few weeks, nothing unusual, and made a $500 payment a few days ago.

The current card is good for about 25 days. My phone may be shipped this week, but since the 6 plus delivery dates are pushed back everywhere, I'm not counting on it until sometime in Oct. The delivery date doesn't bother me, it's my card charge that has me concerned. I could end up having my order cancelled. I plan to wait until maybe Monday and see if a shp date shows up, if not then I'll activate the card and call T-mobile and see if I can change card numbers.

i just find the timing interesting.

Message 25 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lonelyisland wrote:
Yes, it sucks, that it was your purchase that triggered it. And you'll have to wait an extra month for your phone. On the other hand, it could have been an identity thief. It's sounds like you are most livid about the standard auto reply email that everyone gets in order to let you know your email was received. I don't think it was personal, but the auto message that lets you know what's going to happen next. A short delay on a iPhone shouldn't ruin your day/week/month like that. Woosa my friend, woosa. You've made due until now, and didn't even know until a few days ago you wanted this item. It won't save your life. It will let you see YouTube bigger. Smiley Happy Remember, credit isn't your money that is in your bank account. It belongs to someone else and they are trying to make sure they aren't losing it to a criminal, cause if it wasn't you, they are out the money, not you. This could have happened with any card in your arsenal. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the phone!

Right, but in the same way a late iPhone won't ruin his life, neither will cancelling a credit card, even if you don't think the reasons justify it.  It is just a credit card, one of many out there.

Message 26 of 38
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Right, but in the same way a late iPhone won't ruin his life, neither will cancelling a credit card, even if you don't think the reasons justify it.  It is just a credit card, one of many out there.

Its not the cancelling of the card I am responding to. Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 38
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

I didn't realize $300 was a large purchase. I use this card for travel, which is $2k a week. $1000for hotel, $700 for flight and $300 for car. No flags there.

Message 28 of 38
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

I pre ordered the iPhone + on my Arrival + too. No issues here. I put enough spend on the card that they do not care about me anymore ahhaha.
Message 29 of 38
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Barclays did it to me two years. They suspended my account when I paid my brother's college tuition bills. They told me they didn't like big purchase when the account was new or suddenly put a big purchase on the card. They told me to call them first if I want to make a big purchase. Their card is not my everyday use card. 

Ron.

rut roh! I just dumped a $3000 vet bill on a newer SM WMC and the total now is about $3.5K with other purchases. Only about 25% utilization and no suspension as yet. Why offer 0% for 12 months and not expect customers to take advantage of it?

We're all a bunch of cattle to the banks. As long as we all stay in line they'll make nice, but if we wander at all, it's a kick in the a$$.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.