Barclaycard mastercard rewards vs. Amex Everyday

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Barclaycard mastercard rewards vs. Amex Everyday

@sideshowmer wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@sideshowmer wrote:

Transfer? What do you mean??? Do you mean using the points to buy airline tickets through AMEX?

@longtimelurker wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@sideshowmer wrote:

I am pre-approved for a Barclaycard rewards and I also have an Amex rewards but I have not even activated it. I use my Amex green on a regular basis so I have not needed the Amex everyday as of yet. I just want input on the two reward cards mentioned, which one do you all believe is best? I want to use my points for travel ect...

Why don't you use your ED card on a regular basis instead of the Green? You earn extra points..."use your Card 20 or more times on purchases in a billing period and get 20% more points on those purchases less returns and credits. Terms and limitations apply."

Certainly this, there is no advantage reward wise to the green over the everyday.

For the original question, it depends on how you want to redeem.  With the everyday points, you can transfer them to airline/hotel programs and get, potentially, much more than 1c per point value.   With 20 swipes a month, you earn at least 1.2MR per $, and many people value an MR around 2c, so this is better than the Rewards.  However, if you don't transfer, MRs are bad for cash back, and the Rewards card gives 2% in more categories.

No, you need to read up on the Membership Reward program.   MR points can be transferred into frequent flier programs of their partners, and redeemed there for the rewards of that program.   This is how the most value is obtained, especially, for example, for premium cabin international travel.  The cash price can be very large, the points needed are much less.

This is really a key feature of the Everyday card.     And the green for that matter.

I see, I am looking at the membership rewards  online and there is area where you can book flights with points and another area to transfer points to loyalty programs for airlines and or hotels. I believe this is what you are referring to... so this is the best way to use my points for flights?

Yes. You transfer into loyalty programs, and you then use the loyalty miles to book your travel as opposed to your points. Better value this way. 

Message 11 of 14
sideshowmer
Established Member

Unfortunately they dont have the airline I need through the reward transfer program....Woman Frustrated

Message 12 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sideshowmer wrote:

Unfortunately they dont have the airline I need through the reward transfer program....Woman Frustrated

Have you looked at alliance partners, if your needed airline is in one?  (So transfer to airline X and use those miles on airline Y).

And then a rhetorical question: why did you apply for these cards without fully understanding the value of the rewards and how you can use them?

Message 13 of 14
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@sideshowmer wrote:

What airline is it?

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.