Did you mean: 

Barclaycard security

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard security

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay is the only lender I have that makes you answer verification questions (online) everytime I go to do a balance transfer online (while I'm logged into my account). There is one question that they keep asking that is definitely wrong information, but they're not the only one to ask me that question so I have learned what the correct answer is. You would think that these agencies who supply this information about us would do a better job at making sure their records are accurate. It's kinda hard to verify ourselves when they use inaccurate information.

Hm, this must be YMMV. I've done several balance transfers on Barclay Rewards and Apple cards, and never had to answer any questions to complete the balance transfers online.

Realize also that any lender has no responsibility for inaccurate public records information- that's LexisNexis, SageStream and all of the other useless information gathering agencies that pass around incorrect information.

It may be a new feature. Please check your account and let us know. Thanks in advance!

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have processed multiple BTs via Barclay Ring and never had to go through verification. I just logged in to check my account and noticed there are 3 verification questions for me to answer before I can begin the BT process. It's not a big issue for me (my info is accurate) since I have to go through this process each time a creditor uses EQ for a credit application. I have a fraud alert on it.

Nothing a creditor does surprises me anymore, I just roll with the punches. Best of luck OP!Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd too have issues with how they operate their fraud department. I had to called in for an approval due to a declined at a restaurant and a hotel in the past. I felt like I was being prosecuted with the bombarment of security questions (where were you born, my race, etc..) I ended up hanging up and using a difference card on both occassions. I've dealt with Chase, Citi, Cap1, Amex fraud department and Barclay are the absolute worst in terms of customers service!! I have 2 cards (10k/7k) from them that are SD for the past 13+ months...they can close them if they want. I just don't have confident using their cards for fear of getting declined randomly. I do understand YEMV....I'm a customer since 2011 and have used their cards as daily drivers...not no more. Oh well..NEXT lol. 

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay is the only lender I have that makes you answer verification questions (online) everytime I go to do a balance transfer online (while I'm logged into my account). There is one question that they keep asking that is definitely wrong information, but they're not the only one to ask me that question so I have learned what the correct answer is. You would think that these agencies who supply this information about us would do a better job at making sure their records are accurate. It's kinda hard to verify ourselves when they use inaccurate information.

Hm, this must be YMMV. I've done several balance transfers on Barclay Rewards and Apple cards, and never had to answer any questions to complete the balance transfers online.

Realize also that any lender has no responsibility for inaccurate public records information- that's LexisNexis, SageStream and all of the other useless information gathering agencies that pass around incorrect information.

It may be a new feature. Please check your account and let us know. Thanks in advance!

It's not showing up in my accounts when I go in and try to start a balance transfer, just checked. I don't get asked any questions. Maybe yours is doing that because you have a fraud alert set.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's not showing up in my accounts when I go in and try to start a balance transfer, just checked. I don't get asked any questions. Maybe yours is doing that because you have a fraud alert set.

I don't have a fraud alert set, but maybe my Ring card does this because I don't use the card very often. Maybe lack of use and then all the sudden trying to use it triggers this--who knows. 

And I do realize that it's not the lender who is responsible for the inaccurate information used in those verification questions. That's why I said I wish the "agencies who supply this information about us would do a better job at making sure their records are accurate." I've heard plenty of stories about Lexis Nexis, IDA (now SageStream), ARS (and who knows who else) providing inaccurate info about people and the problems it causes - and how hard it is to have the info corrected.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for the Ring, they asked me my last address & the state that issued my social security number. Both these questions made sense to me because TransUnion (the agency from whom Barclay checks credit) has my address wrong as my last address and I've moved around a bit, so I'm no longer in the state where my social security card was issued. From my standpoint, these questions made me feel more comfortable that it would be more difficult for someone to access my card info. 

They also asked for my mother's maiden name, which is a required field on the application. Since that info can be looked up fairly easily, it's better for security to pick a random word, such as "potato" to fill in that spot. Banks don't care if you're accurate with that info, and no identity thief is going to think your mother's maiden name is potato!

Message 16 of 24
Officer737
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@william23 wrote:
Questions are based on my public records. These are questions that only you can answer. Unfortunately, people get upset but these days is very easy for people to pretend they are you call the bank, add themselves as an authorized user and go on a spending frenzy.

If Barclays receives info from MasterCard or visa that the account could be at risk they are going to close it out. Normally they send you a new card and they won't deactivate the one you have until you get the other one.

Call Barclays and ask to speak with a resolutions manager, they will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately public records are often incorrrect, as we've seen many times on the boards. Usgae of public records information to verify customers or applicants is not limited to Barclay, however -  many lenders use this information. It's not a Barclay issue.

LexisNexis which is one of the largest pain in the arse companies there is! And their info is mostly WRONG!

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Maybe. But Barclay never asked before last month and my account has been opened exactly 1 year to date. Thanks for checking your accounts for us.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have a fraud alert set, but maybe my Ring card does this because I don't use the card very often. Maybe lack of use and then all the sudden trying to use it triggers this--who knows. 

And I do realize that it's not the lender who is responsible for the inaccurate information used in those verification questions. That's why I said I wish the "agencies who supply this information about us would do a better job at making sure their records are accurate." I've heard plenty of stories about Lexis Nexis, IDA (now SageStream), ARS (and who knows who else) providing inaccurate info about people and the problems it causes - and how hard it is to have the info corrected.

My account is exactly one year old today and I just used it last month. Actually, I use it every month to make sure it stays active. Who knows what's going on. Until a few weeks ago, I never had to answer verification questions.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When I applied for the Ring, they asked me my last address & the state that issued my social security number. Both these questions made sense to me because TransUnion (the agency from whom Barclay checks credit) has my address wrong as my last address and I've moved around a bit, so I'm no longer in the state where my social security card was issued. From my standpoint, these questions made me feel more comfortable that it would be more difficult for someone to access my card info. 

They also asked for my mother's maiden name, which is a required field on the application. Since that info can be looked up fairly easily, it's better for security to pick a random word, such as "potato" to fill in that spot. Banks don't care if you're accurate with that info, and no identity thief is going to think your mother's maiden name is potato!

You make a very valid point. I think the OP's issue is that the information is inaccurate so it can make her/his life difficult.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.