Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard shenanigans continue.

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Barclaycard shenanigans continue.

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, sorry to hear about Barclay...so happy to be blacklisted with them from 16 years ago!   There are just too many lenders out here, just close them and move on.

Same here, Roseyk.  I found out I was on their blacklist last summer, and while I was 'bummed' at first as time goes on I'm starting to see that I'm actually better off.  I don't have tons of new accounts or inquiries myself, but with my current lenders I don't have to be concerned with it either way.

I'll be the first to agree that Barclay has the right to AA, CLD, ect. whenever and for any reason they want - that's fine.  I also have the right to deem them too much hassle to deal with.  I know many folks think they're great - and that's great! - but I prefer to have lenders who aren't so fickle.  And before anyone 'goes there', let me add that "fickle" is subjective, and in my opinion Barclays fits the definition.  Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 28
baller4life
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow, sorry to hear about Barclay...so happy to be blacklisted with them from 16 years ago!   There are just too many lenders out here, just close them and move on.

Same here, Roseyk.  I found out I was on their blacklist last summer, and while I was 'bummed' at first as time goes on I'm starting to see that I'm actually better off.  I don't have tons of new accounts or inquiries myself, but with my current lenders I don't have to be concerned with it either way.

I'll be the first to agree that Barclay has the right to AA, CLD, ect. whenever and for any reason they want - that's fine.  I also have the right to deem them too much hassle to deal with.  I know many folks think they're great - and that's great! - but I prefer to have lenders who aren't so fickle.  And before anyone 'goes there', let me add that "fickle" is subjective, and in my opinion Barclays fits the definition.  Smiley Wink

👊+100

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's a bummer for sure, but the fact is that 28 inquiries is a lot. Many times what an average cardholder would rack up.

Message 23 of 28
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a bummer for sure, but the fact is that 28 inquiries is a lot. Many times what an average cardholder would rack up.

Very true. The myFico crowd is a very skewed sample of the general population since many here have more than 3-4 cards and more than a handful of inquiries. That's why there's so many posts about AA. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Benzman wrote:

Have had the Barclay Rewards and Ring for the past year or so with 1k and 4k respectively for the credit limits. Never really used either card too much, small amounts here and there with always pay in full. Spin ahead to about three months ago, I get that ever popular balance transfer offer and thought, wth, I will put a small balance on there so the card gets some usage. Lo and behold, about two weeks ago, I log in and get the AA and CLD to $500. Ok, shame on me once.

Then one of my family members dies a week or so later, so to save time and hassle, put the cremation cost on the Ring which was around $1500. I figured it would also give the card some workout for a month or two and then pay in full. Made two payments more than minimum and PIF last week. Log in tonight and lo and behold, lowered to $1450 CL. Shame on me twice.

Wanted to mention also finally got the AA notice in the mail about three days ago notifying me of the AA on the rewards. The reasons? Too many inquiries and too many new accounts. The amazing thing is the 28 inquiries are from over the past two years, and most are starting to or will be dropping off in the next few months. Strange they waited till I used the cards to do AA rather than when they were just laying in the drawer.

In a round about way, kinda glad it happened, as I have been wanting to consolidate/weed out some of my cards. I would rather deal with those CCCs who are not living in fear. While Barclays cuts me, my other CCCs keep raising me and showing the luv. Those are the ones who get my business. I'll SD the Barclaycards for awhile or close them if I get in the right mood, lol.

Still can't figure out why a great consensus thinks Barclays is great. They have higher APRs (other than the ring), give stingy credit limits, and too many shenanigans. Kind of wolves in sheeps clothing.

28 inquiries, no baddies, pay over min or PIF. AAoA 3 yr, oldest 13yrs

It sucks that you have had such a bad experience with them. To your statement that I highlighted! Some of us have had nothing but good experiences with them. The barclay card that I have started out with a $10k limit, not ver stingy in my opinion.

While anytime AA happens to someone, it is never fun to deal with, the creditor will always have their reasons. Just as easy as credit is givin, credit can be taken away. None of us have any guarantees that we deserve any of the limits or cards that we have been approved for.

Message 25 of 28
Runitup
Regular Contributor

Some data points.

Got Sallie last year with all CRAs reporting pretty close to 800 scores. Approved with a SL of $12.5k. Called to recon immediately and they bumped to $15.5k. Since then, I have done two BTs totaling $10k and have made purchases averaging around $500 per month (all purchases are paid off each month). They just recently gave me a $400 CLI. My scores now range from 730 to 750. Utilization is about 25% over all of my cards but is about 60% with Barclay.  Have five inquiries and make close to 100k.

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Very true. The myFico crowd is a very skewed sample of the general population since many here have more than 3-4 cards and more than a handful of inquiries. That's why there's so many posts about AA. 

+1.  BoA also does not like a lot of inquiries and new accounts, and from what I've seen on the board, has taken action against a number of people for it, unfortunately.

Message 27 of 28
mrvoicelc
New Contributor

Barclay's has been accomodating to me...I have had very good CS experiences...I use the Sallie May card and now the Wyndham card more as well...they have been a bank I recommend...in my experience it is much better to minimize the inquiries...the one time I received an APR reduction it was at their suggestion...

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.