Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard

tag
BT90138016
Contributor

Barclaycard

How picky is Barclaycard?? How "good" or "great" of a credit history or report must you have to get in with them? Are they worth the trouble? I'm asking because I'm trying to get my credit portfolio setup for the next few years so I can just sit back a reap what I'm sewing.....Currently in the garden or as I also like to call my maintenance period for the year while I let some inquiries fall off, accounts age and pay off balances. I'm in the mid to upper 500's score wise and by the end of the year I hope to be in the mid 600's. It's my regular days off so I'm just brain storming while sitting at home.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclaycard

Barclaycard Rewards or Apple Finance card are easy to get with lower 600 scores. Only issue is new accounts and HPs.

Recon is awesome with Barclays so with good recent history (1 year in your case after gardening) and low recent HP / New accounts. You will have a great shot.

Good luck!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 2 of 14
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

By recent I mean 6 months to a year * in your case.
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 3 of 14
BT90138016
Contributor

Most of my HP's are last year and the year before so if I can go the rest of this year without another HP then I may just have a fighting chance then....

Message 4 of 14
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Yup I would say so. The recon team is simply amazing, they want to approve you! Most sound like they feel horrible if they can't! Lol

Even if denied they have no problem telling you why they can't approve you at that time so you know what to work on and a time frame when to reapply!

Other lenders make it some super secret why they can't approve the app with generic reasons. This is one reason I really appreciate Barclaycard. They try to genuinely help.
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 5 of 14
BT90138016
Contributor

May give them a shot depending on how many HP's come off by Dec 31 and if I can get a few collections wiped off that should have been last year......Good think I have the letters showing PIF and deletion.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say with scores in the 500's, chances are pretty slim for Barclay. What I know they kept asking in my recon was established history.

They like to see your payment history..when I called for recon, I did advise them I had a few accounts with capOne (which were only 2 months reporting at the time) and they said, we want to see some history in your credit and please try again in a few months...I sure did, got denied again and called recon. The guy I spoke to was awesome, he looked at my report and did say he did see a lot of improvement from my last call to now and that he will approve me for $1k.

The first time i got denied my scores were in the low 600's. 

Message 7 of 14
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Correct. Needs to be in the 600s. Most of the thread is assuming gardening for the rest of the year.

Edit: your baddies need to age to raise your scores. Address anything (collections) that is updating monthly these will suppress your scores indefinately. 

Last APP April 21, 2015.
Message 8 of 14
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Not sure on your chances, but as to if they are worth the trouble ... Yes.  I love my Barclay card.

Just know going in, especially on that Rewards card, that the interest is high. But if you pay it off in full and take adavatage of those 2% categories it can really rack up rewards. Especially in the uitility dept.

Also, to counter act the negative of high interest, they often through the year  give 0% or very low interest offers for larger purchases, personal loan, or BT. 

If you use it heavily, pay big payments and maybe an occasional BT they will love you and give big periodic CLIs. Some quite large.

So yes, depite the higher interest, the perks outweigh the cons if used responsibly making it a worthwile effort.

Message 9 of 14
BT90138016
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would say with scores in the 500's, chances are pretty slim for Barclay. What I know they kept asking in my recon was established history.

They like to see your payment history..when I called for recon, I did advise them I had a few accounts with capOne (which were only 2 months reporting at the time) and they said, we want to see some history in your credit and please try again in a few months...I sure did, got denied again and called recon. The guy I spoke to was awesome, he looked at my report and did say he did see a lot of improvement from my last call to now and that he will approve me for $1k.

The first time i got denied my scores were in the low 600's. 

History shouldn't be a problem much longer. I have six cards and two signature loans and one car loan that are all reporting pays as agrees and never been late on, one car loan I have been late on twice in a three year period. Two of my cards will have two years behind them within a month or two and the rest will hit their first year by the end of this year to very beginning of next year. One loan will be paid out at its one year mark and another loan will be paid out by next march but I may accelerat that just to get rid of the lender...My last late payment was last October when I moved to a new apartment so hopefully it'll be aged enough to where it will lose a little bearing on their decision. I just know I've got to be at the end of my tunnel and the only way from here is up.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.