cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays 10,000 US Airways Miles for $89. Good deal?

tag
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

Barclays 10,000 US Airways Miles for $89. Good deal?

I just called Barclays to see about doing a PC on my US Airways World Mastercard, and was told that I didn't have any offers for PC, but I would receive a 10,000 mile when charged my annual fee of $89 on October 31.

Just curious as to how much I should value those 10,000 miles? I rarely use the card, and don't really need the $7,300 CL. I was going to PC and sock drawer the card, but apparently that isn't an option (at least not for now, maybe after the fee goes through?). I currently have 70,228 US Airways Miles. I would essentially be purchasing 10,000 miles for $89. Good deal?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays 10,000 US Airways Miles for $89. Good deal?

I think that you can only decide that. Would 80k points v. 70k points help you in any way to get where you want to go?

US Air values 10k miles at $350, but that doesn't mean they are worth that much.

I suggest you look at some routes that you want to go and choose from there. The one downfall with US Air is that you must book roundtrip flights with points, but it definitely won't stop me from churning it!

What did you hope to product change to?
Message 2 of 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

$89 is a good deal for 10k miles! One of my issues with Barclays is how inconsistent they are with PC. Like jenn_bar says only you can decide what works for you.
Message 3 of 13
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I always value miles that I can use for Star Alliance partners. You could get a first class award to Hawaii for 80k. If US merges with AA those miles will transfer into AA, which can be used for one way awards, which is a huge benefit. $89 for 10k miles is a great deal.

Message 4 of 13
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

I always value miles that I can use for Star Alliance partners. You could get a first class award to Hawaii for 80k. If US merges with AA those miles will transfer into AA, which can be used for one way awards, which is a huge benefit. $89 for 10k miles is a great deal.

Great point!

Also, some US Air apps give 10k every anniversary, so you will most likely get this year after year as it is a part of your card membership. If it is not a part of your terms and conditions, consider yourself lucky! If it is a part of your terms and conditions, see if you can get a retention bonus in addition to the 10k (statement credit).

I have never tried to receive a retention from Barclays, so I'm not sure what your chances are, but there are a few cards that come to mind where banks will give additional points on top of anniversary points (ie. SW Premier).

Message 5 of 13
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@USF813 wrote:

+1. I'd buy US miles all day at that rate. It's a great deal if you can use them. I eat US miles like candy, so I'd be all over it if I was in your situation.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 13
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

Thank you for all the helpful information. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to miles, which is the main reason for my question. Sounds like 10,000 miles for $89 is a good deal, so I'll probably end up doing it. Also, I didn't ask for the miles, the lady that helped me acted like it was something that automatically occurs when I renew my card. Maybe I will attempt a retention bonus as mentioned. That's also good info about the future merger with AA if it goes through.
Message 7 of 13
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@shinedown87 wrote:
Thank you for all the helpful information. I'm very inexperienced when it comes to miles, which is the main reason for my question. Sounds like 10,000 miles for $89 is a good deal, so I'll probably end up doing it. Also, I didn't ask for the miles, the lady that helped me acted like it was something that automatically occurs when I renew my card. Maybe I will attempt a retention bonus as mentioned. That's also good info about the future merger with AA if it goes through.

There's was (still is?) an offer for the card that included a 10K bonus each year at account renewal. I have that version as well.  That's probably what you applied for.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 13
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@shinedown87 wrote:

There's was (still is?) an offer for the card that included a 10K bonus each year at account renewal. I have that version as well.  That's probably what you applied for.  

Still is in case anyone is wondering!

Message 9 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:
I think that you can only decide that. Would 80k points v. 70k points help you in any way to get where you want to go?

I really think that sums it up perfectly.  Regardless of how cheap it is, you are down $89 unless those 10K points help you get something of value.  It's certainly likely for many that they would, but you have to look at your situation.

e.g. I can sell you 10K longtimelurker points, that normally retail for $50,000, for just $500.   They don't redeem for anything, but with this offer they are soooo cheap!  Interested?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.