Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays 2nd credit card.

tag
Mads8
Established Member

Barclays 2nd credit card.

Hi guys,

I just got the Barclays financing card with a $2000 limit about a week ago in the mail. I do have quite a few inquiries, (not sure how many on TU which I know they pull) & all of my credit was opened this year. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to try the preapproval link for Barclays..I need a rewards card with a good limit and I want to close both of my CAP1 cards because they each have an AF of 39.00 & a 500.00 limit...I just need a replacement & I am liking their decent CLs....Do they get weird about apping for a second card so soon? Or even doing the soft pull to see if I even get a preapproval? I am just curious what anyone's experiences are with multiple Barclay cards in a short period. Any Info will help. Thanks!

Cap One Quicksilver 500, Cap One Quicksilver 750, VS 400, Buckle 250, Express 300, Ann Taylor 250, Amazon Store Card 1900, Walmart 600, Barclays Financing Visa Card 2000, BestBuy MC Gold 500 Target 300
EQ 650 3/5/14
TU WALMART 675 3/5/14
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclays 2nd credit card.

My recommendation for you is to go to EO to get AFs removed on the Cap 1 cards and PC both of them to Quicksilver if you can.

With as many cards as you have, I would just garden and actually use them and have good payment routines to show them you can handle larger CLs.... the larger CLs will come.
Message 2 of 6
Mads8
Established Member

Thanks Kenny! I thought about that, but do they normally do a PC? I heard CAP1 is hard to work with...All the horror stories on here. LOL....I opened one in July, and one in September, but already in my mind i'm moving on to bigger and better things. If they will PC the limit to the QS I would be happy. The annual fee wont be around until next September and hopefully by then they will take it off...

Cap One Quicksilver 500, Cap One Quicksilver 750, VS 400, Buckle 250, Express 300, Ann Taylor 250, Amazon Store Card 1900, Walmart 600, Barclays Financing Visa Card 2000, BestBuy MC Gold 500 Target 300
EQ 650 3/5/14
TU WALMART 675 3/5/14
Message 3 of 6
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Someone mentioned that a Barclays customer Service person said they prefer 6 months between applications, but you can do it in 4 months.

I applied 4.5 months after my first card, and got an auto-approval. low limit, but they will grow.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Someone mentioned that a Barclays customer Service person said they prefer 6 months between applications, but you can do it in 4 months.

I applied 4.5 months after my first card, and got an auto-approval. low limit, but they will grow.

This sounds about right.  IIRC, the minimal timeframe between Barcalys apps is roughly 4 months (depending on the individual's creditworthiness).  For best results, anytime after 6 months.

Message 5 of 6
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I gotta say Barclays is weird. I applied for the US Air card about 8 months ago and got an instant approval but a ridiculously low starting limit at $2K. All of my other cards are $10K to $45K. Called in to ask for a manual review for a CLI, got another HP and was denied. 

Now that AA and US Air are in merger moves I would love to scoop up another US Air card (the business version this time) but I am gun shy with them. I have plenty of HP in my files but feel I got good mileage from them based on my current load of cards and limits. I just don't want to risk a wasted pull. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.