Did you mean: 

Barclays AA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays AA

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure glad I've never taken one of Barclay's BT offers. I just give them lots of swipes and PIF. Sorry to hear about the AA. I know it sucks. If they ever do that to me they're gone.

Sure, but wouldn't it hurt Barclays more by taking their free money, pay it off slowly without them earning interest, and then kicking them to the curb?

In the end, besides taking care of my financial responsiblities, I wouldn't really care about them any more than they'd care about me. They're just a bank and there are always more. That said, their almost free money comes at a potential price, one I'm not willing to pay. I've done many BTs on Cap One, repaid and later done more BTs with them. I understand any lender can turn on you at any time, for no real reason.

Message 31 of 77
Chilli
Established Contributor

Pizza, that is too funny!

Message 32 of 77
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sure glad I've never taken one of Barclay's BT offers. I just give them lots of swipes and PIF. Sorry to hear about the AA. I know it sucks. If they ever do that to me they're gone.

Sure, but wouldn't it hurt Barclays more by taking their free money, pay it off slowly without them earning interest, and then kicking them to the curb?

In the end, besides taking care of my financial responsiblities, I wouldn't really care about them any more than they'd care about me. They're just a bank and there are always more. That said, their almost free money comes at a potential price, one I'm not willing to pay. I've done many BTs on Cap One, repaid and later done more BTs with them. I understand any lender can turn on you at any time, for no real reason.

Right, but in OP's case, the "price" has already been paid.  The card has been app'ed for, approved, and promo purchase terms already made.  Even if balance chased, I just fail to see the value you in paying off early a free loan that's arleady been taken and terms set.

Message 33 of 77
Chilli
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Argo, my thoughts exactly.  Since I take care of his finances as well as mine...I really don't have time for BS especially for a Barclays Apple card. Now,  if it were NFCU, PenFED, Amex, BOA, Cap 1 or Chase...that would be another story. 👀

Message 34 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just reading this thread. So sorry this happened. I am paranoid about my two Barclay cards. Everyday I check my accounts a couple of times a day. I am carrying a balance on Ring. I haven't decided yet what I will do if this happens. But I know it could easily happen to me.

Message 35 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm pretty sure they hate me. All I ever use my Sallie Mae for is gas and groceries, and I pay as I go. All I've done with my NFL was meet the initial bonus spend and now I'm taking their free money.

Message 36 of 77
dwz55
Regular Contributor

Am I the only one that carries a balance with Barclay and gets cli? Hell I had 90% ultility for 8 months and went from 5k to 10k and then 14k at the 12 months mark. I'm not a fan of Barclays, but most of these AA's happen for a reason.

TU 780 April 2014
EQ 797 May 2014
EX 786 May 2014
Message 37 of 77
NRB525
Super Contributor

@dwz55 wrote:

Am I the only one that carries a balance with Barclay and gets cli? Hell I had 90% ultility for 8 months and went from 5k to 10k and then 14k at the 12 months mark. I'm not a fan of Barclays, but most of these AA's happen for a reason.

What is your list of all other cards?

Have those cards reported significant balances prior to and during your time with Barclays? 

Have your scores been consistently high 700s during your time with Barclays?

These are all leading questions with a purpose: Barclays likes certain types of files where they are one of if not the main card in the wallet. They seem to get jealous if the cardholder starts looking around at other credit cards.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 38 of 77
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disagree with not calling them. I would be on the phone pronto asking them what the hell is going on.

Now what is the limit on the card$3500?  How much did you charge, the entire limit? What is the minimum payment? How much have you paid each month?In 6 months looks like you only paid down $600. They must not be comfortable with that. 

Probably with a big purchase like that they want to see $250-$300 a month payments. 

That is just why a stronger CFPB is needed. These banks are criminal enterprises and if you have been reading you are aware of Barclay's scandals.

Call them and find out what their fears sre.

Message 39 of 77
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Chilli wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

0% promo?  If so, unless you're really concerned about the Utility, there really isn't any reason to PIF early.

True but that puts him a little over 59% until on this acct. 

bEsides, I really don't have time to play Barclays balance chasing finicky game.

I totally get this.  

For me, if I had 0% terms contractually, there's nothing a Bank could do to possibly cause me to give up a "free" loan.  In my view, 59% utility isn't that bad.  And, if they balance chase, I'd go with min payment, then a final balloon PIF right before the promo ends.

This^^ There's no way in hell I'd let a lender force me to give up, what amounts to a free loan. Especially since you plan on closing the card anyway. Who cares if they balance chase you (I'm not sure what this means, but I'm assuming it means that they keep lowering your CL as you pay the balance down). In fact, as an "up yours," I wouldn't pay it off until right before the promo ended, and THEN close it! Smiley LOL

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 40 of 77
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.