tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays APPLE visa PC?

@bernhardtra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@aussiesareforever wrote:

@aussiesareforever wrote:

Definitely don't tempt Barclay if you have recent accounts. They will shut you down if you give them a reason to review your credit report

This is generally more urban legend than fact.

Since opening two new accounts with Barclays recently, I have subsequently opened at least 8 others.  Not a peep from Barclays.

Unless someone can link to a case that shows otherwise, I think most of the people who suffer AA from Barclays over new accounts or inquiries were very borderline approvals to begin with and probably only got in through recon.

As long as everything else on your credit report is ok, I wouldn't worry about trying for the NFL card and shifting your Apple limit over.

Completely disagree. I am on an iPad but a simple search on these boaras will give you plenty of examples. . There is one example on this thread if you took the time to read it. Again notice that I said "if you give them a reason to review your credit  report". AA with Barclay usually happens when people call in for a CLI or want a product change or need something that requires review of your credit report. They will  shut you down quickly. 

I have opened three accounts after my Barclay. I haven't suffered AA but I didn't call for a product change. I think it would be rather silly to tempt fate OP. Don't let them shut your account down. I'll be back to give plenty of examples when I am on a regular computer. 

False on every count.

Every case I have read on the forums involves a person with an iffy approval to begin with that they had to recon.   And those that did suffer AA were usually hit out of the blue when either their card was declined or they logged in and saw their account closed.  

The one example on this thread is extremely slim on any details that count.

Please come back and show us links.

Hi McArthur, since you are having a little difficulty reading, I'll start you off with the post that was made on this same thread. Pretty much one page over. Found here

Then there are a few examples of account closed after request for a CLI here, here and here and a few days after a CLI was granted here

An account that was closed after a request for a PC here (OP take note, don't ask for a PC until at least six months, maybe even longer!)

And then, just a fun, a couple of random Barclay closures and CLD here, here,here, here and here. I actually have to work this morning but there are many more examples that are easy to find using the search button and taking time to read.

OP, the bottom line is that Barclay is a great bank. They are good with giving wonderful increases and I've had nothing but the best customer service from them. However, it would be foolish to say that they don't randomly close accounts based on what they perceive to be risky behavior.

If you have opened a few accounts recently, I wouldn't call them for a PC. Just hold on to the Apple card, put a recurring charge on it once a month and pay it off in full. After sixish months, call and ask for a PC. Once you have demonstrated good use of your card, they will be really pleasant to work with.

Finally, I love this forum but be careful about who you listen to. The search button is easy to use, make sure you do a lot of reading yourself. Pretty easy to do!

It would appear less deceitful if you had actually read the threads and analyzed what was going on in each particular case.  Oh, and cute trick using cases from 4 to 8 years ago.  4 to 8 years ago AA was the rule rather than the exception for everybody.

Ok, stale data aside, one of your links pointed to a guy who had 15 new accounts within a very short period of time after opening his Barclays account.  Another had 5 within 6 months of opening his Barclays account.  Applying that to OP's case is pure paranoia.

Another link you've provided leads to one with 6 new accounts and a very poor credit history. 

Three others lead to individuals with flaky credit. 

One leads to a possible legitimate victim, but with a 30 point FICO drop on their TU it's not rocket science to think there might be more to the picture.

And your strongest link?  Seems like the guy didn't open an excessive amount of new accounts and there is no mention of his credit history.  But his CL on the Barclays account was $500.  $500.  Does it get any worse?

Posting links would be fine, but the trick is actually reading them and making an intelligent analysis.

I read the links given in a completely different way in some circumstances.  In one thread it was a person who not only contacted Barclays before he did two more apps and was told by them that there it was past the 3 month mark which would have flagged his account so he needn't worry.  Later when he called them they told him it was due to high inquiries, one of which was for a cell phone!  That link was not 4 years ago, but was just last October.

Another was from a person who simply had too many inquiries and it is hard to determine if there credit was iffy or if it was simply a slim file at the time without actually reading every thread the person has posted, but feel free to do so.

In another situation the person did not have poor or iffy credit as they had credit lines of $5000.  And that was in a thread that was started on the first of this year, it was titled, 'barclay starting off the year in barclay style.'  Which further goes to point out the aspect of what is truly being discussed here.  I don't know if you remember what you yourself said in that thread, but basically you were concerned about it then.

Now at this point I don't know if it is best that I simply keep proving anything or not.

I would say that at one point you had some concern and for reasons you have now changed that opinion.  Is it because you have more than one card with Barclays?  Would that be a possible factor in what they would decided to do with an account?  Having another card with them for a long period would have proven something to them that would be overlooked in the case of others with only one card.  I never got to any threads which were 4 or more years old, but with the ones that were more recent we can say in a meta-data analysis perspective that it is probably true they are at least a little sensitive to new inquiries and accounts!  If it has been happening for 4 or more years then we could say that it has been a long term policy.  Please don't come back with an attack on me for providing the links that I did and the analysis that I made, because I will simply ignore it.  I did not go through all the links the other person provided, but I went far enough to see that what he was saying was supported properly.  You on the other hand just gave a rebuttle without any support to it, you just simply countered but did not provide the facts.  Even if you were to do so now it would not gain credibility as now two different individuals have supported their supposition.  Please, just in the future provide the links with your support so we can 'objectively' see what you state.  I know in some ways you will take this as an attack, but I merely mean it as a matter of gentlemanly debate, however even in debate you do need bring your research with you when the other person has done so already. 

#1.  This seems to be the guy whose TU FICO went from 715 to 684.  We know that Barclays pulls TU almost exclusively.  A 31 point drop is hard to attribute to a few inquiries.  There is reason to believe there is something more at play than just 2 new inquiries.  I mean, you do know that sometimes the bank's credit analyst will sugar coat things just to not make someone seem like the credit cripple they really are, right?

#2.  This is where reading more than just the first post would help.  The original poster stated he got AA because of too many new accounts.  Several people asked him exactly how many, but he always evaded the questions.  Unless you have a crystal ball and know exactly how many were too many, his case is invalid.

#3.  $500 credit limit.  Folks with bankruptcy still reporting usually get more than $500 from Barclays.  Something fishy going on.  Oh, and at that time, without really reading or thinking more about it, I assumed maybe caution was called for.  But not so much now.  Now, with the isolated exception, it seems more like the folks who think they'll get an AmEx FR on a full moon.

On the other hand, we have Dodgeball with good credit and not a peep from Barclays.  There are many others on the forums here in the same boat.  I've opened 8 new accounts and not a peep even after being softed twice.  My wife is even worse -- 14 new accounts in less than 6 months after approval for Barclays and they turn around and approve her CLI request.  

Message 21 of 24
scorpiostinger07
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I went ahead and applied for the NFL Extra Points card and was denied but was denied because I forgot to unfreeze my TU report. I have yet to recon since im really not looking for AA. I think I will hold out until July and reapply at that time.

Starting Score: 433
Current Score: 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 24
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

That sounds pretty smart Scorpio. Good luck and let us know how things go!!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 23 of 24
knoxman
Established Member

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.