Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays AirTran Visa Card Change

tag
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

Barclays AirTran Visa Card Change

I have a Barclays AirTran Visa Platinum card that I have been using for the A+ credits on AirTran. Barclays recently stopped offering this card because of the merger with Southwest ( Chase handels the SW account ) Has anyone heard what Barclays will do with these accounts following the merger of the frequent flyer programs? I am fairly certian that Chase will not be purchasing the accounts from Barclays. 

I am not a SW fan so I doubt I would make much use of a SW branded card, however this card is my highest CL and I sure hope they don't close it. What are the chances they PC it to the new Barclay Rewards Card? Is there any chance they would sell the account to Chase? 

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays AirTran Visa Card Change

@Hammer23 wrote:

I have a Barclays AirTran Visa Platinum card that I have been using for the A+ credits on AirTran. Barclays recently stopped offering this card because of the merger with Southwest ( Chase handels the SW account ) Has anyone heard what Barclays will do with these accounts following the merger of the frequent flyer programs? I am fairly certian that Chase will not be purchasing the accounts from Barclays. 

I am not a SW fan so I doubt I would make much use of a SW branded card, however this card is my highest CL and I sure hope they don't close it. What are the chances they PC it to the new Barclay Rewards Card? Is there any chance they would sell the account to Chase? 

There's a strong possibility that they'll just change it to a more generic rewards card like th Barclaycard Rewards card.  Most CC issuers will do that if a co-brand company stops doing business with them.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

So when the merger is complete you are no longer going to fly AirTran?

This reminds me of Circuit City closing...  I had a joint account with my father and got it upgraded to Visa right after the announcement and then 1 month later I converted to I think "Freedom Plus".  A couple weeks later many people ended up with a Best Buy Store Card... others got something different for Visa.... I got lucky... many were told no option to PC or upgrade to visa until after the merger and it wasn't true.

Message 3 of 4
Hammer23
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

So when the merger is complete you are no longer going to fly AirTran?

This reminds me of Circuit City closing...  I had a joint account with my father and got it upgraded to Visa right after the announcement and then 1 month later I converted to I think "Freedom Plus".  A couple weeks later many people ended up with a Best Buy Store Card... others got something different for Visa.... I got lucky... many were told no option to PC or upgrade to visa until after the merger and it wasn't true.

I really enjoyed AirTran's Business Class Upgrades. They normally had room for me and the charge was minimal. Southwest does not offer (and does not plan to offer) Biz clas after the merger is complete, however they did recently announce they will be keeping my home airport (CAK) in the network, so who knows if I'll find a better alternative. To be honest, I do not fly that often anymore and would make better use of the Barclay Rewards Visa anyway. 

WF Home Projects Visa $8500 / Towpath CU Visa $7000 / Chase Freedom Visa $5500 / Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $5000 / Barclaycard Ring MC $5000 / GE Lowes $5000 / Citi Best Buy MC $4250 / Barclaycard Rewards Visa $4000 / BFG CU Visa $3500 / Citi Sears$3000 / WF Visa $2000 / GE Walmart $1900 / GE Care Credit $1900 / GE Amazon $1400 / Cap 1 Kohls $1000 / GE Old Navy $800 / Webbank Fingerhut $700
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.