Reply
Contributor
westcoastpirate
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Barclays Apple Card CLI Request

[ Edited ]

Yesterday evening I was approved for a Barclays Apple Visa.  I called in to the backdoor number to request a CLI this morning and the CSR was nice but said they would have to do another HP of my CR  I asked if there was a chance he could use the one from yesterday and he said no, that they would have to pull another report.

 

#1.  Is this correct?

#2.  If I call back and decide to move forward with the request and they do another HP, how will that affect my CR?

#3.  Would it be worth it to try the Backdoor Credit Analyst number for Barclays to see if they would use the report from last night for the CLI request?

 

Thanks!

Senior Contributor
john398
Posts: 3,507
Registered: ‎01-19-2009

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request


 think they will pull from a different CRA, atleast they did for me, not sure of the other answers, good luck

Frequent Contributor
scarrollprint
Posts: 382
Registered: ‎06-26-2012

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request


westcoastpirate wrote:

Yesterday evening I was approved for a Barclays Apple Visa.  I called in to the backdoor number to request a CLI this morning and the CSR was nice but said they would have to do another HP of my CR  I asked if there was a chance he could use the one from yesterday and he said no, that they would have to pull another report.

 

#1.  Is this correct? They can pull your credit report whenever they want once you are a customer and extended a line of credit - this is so because you have a buisness relationship with them in which they've have/will be extending credit. They can pull all three reports every month (via a HP) if they want. Most don't because well there is really no point in doing so when they can SP and get the same info. Why would they HP this time? because your asking for more credit and that inquiry would show so others pulling your report would see it as well.

#2.  If I call back and decide to move forward with the request and they do another HP, how will that affect my CR? If they pull the same report, it will be an additional inquriy. They might choose to pull a different report from what they pulled to accept your app (this case is very likely) if they pull a different report, you'll just have the 1 inq from them and you might see a ding due to it - but again it depends on your reports and info on it. If they pull the same one again, it will add a second inquriy and again you'll see a small ding to the score but again it depends on whats on your reports.

#3.  Would it be worth it to try the Backdoor Credit Analyst number for Barclays to see if they would use the report from last night for the CLI request? You can ask, but its doubtful. Barclays is very inqury sensative with new accounts. I'm sure since they would want to know if you app'd for credit somewhere else that they would be able to find out and thus would extend that courtesy to other companies. But again, a phone call is free, if they say "HP no matter what" you can assess the situation and make your own choice.

 

In the end - inquries only affect your score for 1 year and after 6 months loose some bite on your score and after 2 years are like they never happened.

 

Thanks!


 

 



Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Contributor
westcoastpirate
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the insight.  I think I'm going to sit tight until I have reached the 61 day mark and go big with the 3x CLI request.

Frequent Contributor
scarrollprint
Posts: 382
Registered: ‎06-26-2012

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request

They will probably do a HP then too...

 

Also make sure you don't app for ANYTHING and I mean anything for the next 6 months to a year.

 

they have a very twitch trigger finger when it comes to applying for new credit. Many have gotten their accounts closed down and/or CL slashed for apping after getting a barlcay card.



Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Contributor
westcoastpirate
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request

[ Edited ]

I think if I am going to use a HP I want to make it count.  And establishing myself as a good customer over 61 days and then doing the 3x CLI request is worth it to me rather than wasting the HP for a potential small increase before I even have the card in hand.

 

The only other app I plan on submitting in the next 6 months is with AMEX , and I'm not submitting that until I get through the CLI request with Barclays at 61 days.

 

I've been sitting on my hands for the last 5-7 years making strategic moves to improve my CR, so waiting 6 months to submit new apps is nothing!

Valued Contributor
RyVision
Posts: 1,346
Registered: ‎04-15-2011

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request

 

In addition to what Scarrollprint said (and I pretty much agree with):

 

When I called to activate my new Barclays NFL Extra Points card, it transferred me to a CSR after selecting the  "activate a new card" prompt.  Out of curiosity I asked about a CLI in case down the road I wanted to use a 0% offer that might come up.  She said she could attempt a CLI but it would require a HP, I told her I wasn't that concerned about the CLI at that moment and asked if they give automatic CLI's.  She replied that they did, usually reviewing accounts after a month, 3 months, then 6 etc.

 

So I would guess there would be no real way around an HP for a CLI even within a day of getting the account.

 

Westcoastpirate, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the 3x 61 day "rule" applies to Barclays though, I've only seen it referenced with AMEX.  You could very well be wasting at least 1 HP over that attempt at 61 days with Barclays.

Frequent Contributor
scarrollprint
Posts: 382
Registered: ‎06-26-2012

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request


RyVision wrote:

 

Westcoastpirate, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the 3x 61 day "rule" applies to Barclays though, I've only seen it referenced with AMEX.  You could very well be wasting at least 1 HP over that attempt at 61 days with Barclays.

Was just about to type that myself...

 

 

 



Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Contributor
westcoastpirate
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request

[ Edited ]

RyVision wrote:

 

In addition to what Scarrollprint said (and I pretty much agree with):

 

When I called to activate my new Barclays NFL Extra Points card, it transferred me to a CSR after selecting the  "activate a new card" prompt.  Out of curiosity I asked about a CLI in case down the road I wanted to use a 0% offer that might come up.  She said she could attempt a CLI but it would require a HP, I told her I wasn't that concerned about the CLI at that moment and asked if they give automatic CLI's.  She replied that they did, usually reviewing accounts after a month, 3 months, then 6 etc.

 

So I would guess there would be no real way around an HP for a CLI even within a day of getting the account.

 

Westcoastpirate, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that the 3x 61 day "rule" applies to Barclays though, I've only seen it referenced with AMEX.  You could very well be wasting at least 1 HP over that attempt at 61 days with Barclays.


I'm pretty new to these forums so I appreciate the info, especially about the 61 day rule!  I thought this covered all cards and just was a tool that I never knew about.  I'm glad I didn't waste a hard pull on it!

 

So do you think I should just call Barclays and try for the CLI today?

Frequent Contributor
scarrollprint
Posts: 382
Registered: ‎06-26-2012

Re: Barclays Apple Card CLI Request

I'd wait and hold on to the card for 6 months or so. See wher your credit is at that point, see what other limits you have at that point and then since you will have built a relationship with them, see if they would be willing to give you a CLI without the HP.

 

Since they want to do another HP it probably means you were boarderline for the card the begin with and they are looking to pull another credit report than the one they did for your app. Barclays has a twitchy finger, I wouldn't want to do anything that is outside the norm with them or give them an opportunity to see anything outside the norm.

 

Wait and see if they give you anything, if not wait 6 months - a year and see if they will do it with a SP.



Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+