Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Apple denied :\

tag
yyc
New Contributor

Barclays Apple denied :\

Tried applying for Apple credit yesterday via Barclays and was immediately denied on the online application. They pulled TU with a score of  654. Here's a brief summary of my report:

Good

AU on HSBC CC (8 years) - open & current

Capital One CC (10 months) - open & current

Capital One CC (8 months) - open & current

Discover CC (2 months) - open & current

Amazon Store Card (6 months) - open & current

Bank of America Auto Loan (6 months) - open & current

4x School Loans (reported 2010/2011) - closed & current

Baddies

Bank of America CC (from 2008) - paid after chargeoff / collection

Capital One CC (from 2010) - paid after chargeoff / collection

Inquiries in past 6 months: 18 (I was shopping around for auto loan rates which is what most of these are from)

I attempted recon 3 times and was denied each time. After telling me I was doing a great job at building my credit, the reason they kept giving me was that there was not enough history on my new CC's and they typically like to see 1-2 years on each CC. The AU HSBC didn't help much because of the AU status. Any advice? Should I bother attempting again?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Apple denied :\

You need to let your accounts age before apping with them again. Also keep in mind if they do issue a card and you continue apping with new accounts reporting they will close it.

Message 2 of 20
yyc
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You need to let your accounts age before apping with them again. Also keep in mind if they do issue a card and you continue apping with new accounts reporting they will close it.

Yes I figured that much. I don't plan on applying for anymore accounts for a while, I was going to buy an iPad and figured it would be a good opportunity to do some gardening. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Barclays is great with recons but given that you've tried three times and been told the same answer each time I would agree that you need to wait and let your accounts age positively for another 6 months or so and then reapply.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 20
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@yyc wrote:

Tried applying for Apple credit yesterday via Barclays and was immediately denied on the online application. They pulled TU with a score of  654. Here's a brief summary of my report:

Good

Baddies

Inquiries in past 6 months: 18 (I was shopping around for auto loan rates which is what most of these are from)

I attempted recon 3 times and was denied each time. After telling me I was doing a great job at building my credit, the reason they kept giving me was that there was not enough history on my new CC's and they typically like to see 1-2 years on each CC. The AU HSBC didn't help much because of the AU status. Any advice? Should I bother attempting again?

Sorry to hear that. I kind of have a hunch that Barclay's was very generous around the holidays, but has gone back to stricter guidelines again. You didn't mention your util -- that could be a factor as well. They are really concerned about getting too much credit at the same time as them -- even if it's right before. Your Discover is only 2 mos old. When I apped in November, I had gotten a card in March, April and June. And even then, the guy asked me why I was getting so much credit (!).

I'd recommend you don't app for anything between now and November and apply then. Also, be sure your util is <9% on ONLY one CC and zero on all of the others (or as close to 9% as you can get). You'll have more time since you opened your last card and they'll probably be in the giving "holiday mood" again. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 20
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@yyc wrote:

Good

Baddies

Sorry to hear that. I kind of have a hunch that Barclay's was very generous around the holidays, but has gone back to stricter guidelines again. You didn't mention your util -- that could be a factor as well. They are really concerned about getting too much credit at the same time as them -- even if it's right before. Your Discover is only 2 mos old. When I apped in November, I had gotten a card in March, April and June. And even then, the guy asked me why I was getting so much credit (!).

I'd recommend you don't app for anything between now and November and apply then. Also, be sure your util is <9% on ONLY one CC and zero on all of the others (or as close to 9% as you can get). You'll have more time since you opened your last card and they'll probably be in the giving "holiday mood" again. Smiley Happy

(Checks to see if LS2982 is looking...)

If I had Discover in my wallet, I wouldn't even sniff Barclay...Apple financing or not Smiley Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 7 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CreditCrusader that hurt......

(best old lady voice) WELL I NEVER!!!! lol

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 20
yyc
New Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@yyc wrote:

Good

Baddies

Interesting hunch, I would imagine they have a significant increase in volume during the holiday season, so probably are not able to spend as much time on each individual account. This could possibly explain more leniancy, but I doubt they would be more generous during the holidays (especially because I would think people not only spend more, but also do riskier spending at this time).

My util is pretty high (~30%) due to low CL, but I'll have that paid off by next month and try again. Thanks for the tips! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 20
yyc
New Contributor

@CreditCrusader wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

@yyc wrote:

Good

Baddies

(Checks to see if LS2982 is looking...)

If I had Discover in my wallet, I wouldn't even sniff Barclay...Apple financing or not Smiley Happy

I smell an inside joke Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.