cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Arrival Plus--benefit reductions!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Arrival Plus--benefit reductions!

This is about the 10th thread i've seen about this. Can we make it a sticky?

Message 11 of 34
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

I spend around 50k on the card per year (10-15k are abroad), that's a $250 dif. that I'm leaving on the table, not counting the 5% redemption. Plus, CrapOne is not a serious co., I won't give them my business.

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 12 of 34
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Why would you pay 89 a year for no FTF? When other free cards have that benefit?

At least CSP gives you something for the fee and you have the ability to expand point value.

What other 2% card has no FTF ano no AF? I had the CSP, the points redemption don't work for me, I don't like "hustling" to redeem points at a higher rate.

It's not "Hustling"

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 13 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Why would you pay 89 a year for no FTF? When other free cards have that benefit?

At least CSP gives you something for the fee and you have the ability to expand point value.

What other 2% card has no FTF ano no AF? I had the CSP, the points redemption don't work for me, I don't like "hustling" to redeem points at a higher rate.

It's not "Hustling"

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Message 14 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@lexrjSD wrote:

I spend around 50k on the card per year (10-15k are abroad), that's a $250 dif. that I'm leaving on the table, not counting the 5% redemption. Plus, CrapOne is not a serious co., I won't give them my business.

With the current rewards, at $40K spend the card makes sense, but as it goes to 2.1% the breakeven point on US spend is over $80K.

I think the QS mention was for foreign spend, so even at $15K you save $90 over the QS, about the annual fee.

And what's not "serious" about Capital One?   A very major bank these days.

Message 15 of 34
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

With the current rewards, at $40K spend the card makes sense, but as it goes to 2.1% the breakeven point on US spend is over $80K.

I think the QS mention was for foreign spend, so even at $15K you save $90 over the QS, about the annual fee.

Meh I wouldn't call it "Major"...yet imo. I'll still take Citi, Chase and Bank of America over Capital one

With the introduction of the Double Cash it basically makes any capital one card inferior imo. They have their place for rebuilding but as far as prime goes I prefer other ones

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 16 of 34
happypill
Valued Contributor

Same themes discussed over and over.

1. Arrival+ compared with Quicksilver - you'd need about $15k spend per year to overcome the AF.  Not really that much for many folks, but everyone's spending patterns are different.  For those that do travel, racking up 5x or 10x that spend isn't that unusual.

2. Arrival+ compared with Double Cash - you'd need $90k spend per year to overcome the AF.  For me, that's not worth it any more.  I probably come close to $90k per year travel spend, but I just picked up a card giving 3.3% on travel expenses, so Arrival+ will just be for general spend, which will be nowhere near $90k for me.  Arrival+ does offer $400 sign-on bonus and that makes the card worthwhile.  Combined with 1st year free, you'd still be ahead 5+ years into the future compared with the Double Cash.  I for one am not committing to any card for 5+ years in order to see benefit.  Reward programs change, my spending habits could change drastically if my work changes.  I'll take the $400 up front and worry about my Arrival+ AF sometime down the road.

3. Capital One is not a joke by any means.  They have their niche and these days, they are filling it well.  Strong initial limits, good CLI, combining limits, responding to customer interests, rare AA, and more.  I like having some of my credit with them.

Message 17 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

Meh I wouldn't call it "Major"...yet imo. I'll still take Citi, Chase and Bank of America over Capital one

With the introduction of the Double Cash it basically makes any capital one card inferior imo. They have their place for rebuilding but as far as prime goes I prefer other ones

It's the 8th largest bank in the US, which I consider major!   Yes, not as big as the others, but bigger than Amex which is 14th.

Message 18 of 34
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This is about the 10th thread i've seen about this. Can we make it a sticky?

Thank you. This is old NEWS!!!

Message 19 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

And to think I wanted this card so badly. Will be reconsidering......

Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.