Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Arrival+ w/ 50k point bonus

tag
cjesser15
Contributor

Re: Barclays Arrival+ w/ 50k point bonus

I decided to pull the trigger on this and just wanted to share my experience becuase it was unusual and may be helpful to others.  I applied last night and got the 7-10 day message.  Today I called in.  The CSR asked some standard questions and looked at my credit profile.  After doing so, he says "Everything looks good, we can get you approved for the Barclaycard Arrival".  Since he didn't say "Plus" I asked him to verify that it was indeed the Plus.  He tells me no, it is not the plus.  Just the regular arrival.  I ask him to double check.  He puts me on hold, comes back and confirms again that it is the regular Arrival.  I tell him I'm almost positive that I applied for the Plus but at that point he has me doubting myself.  I ask him if he's 100% sure so he puts me on hold again, comes back and confirms it's the regular Arrival. At this point I'm convinced I made a mistake and applied for the wrong card.  Totally kicking myself.  I tell him I don't really have any interest in the regular Arrival so I ask him to withdraw the application. 

I hang up and go look at the email I received from them after I applied.  Sure enough, it says: "Thank you for your recent Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard application".  I immediately call them back and tell the new CSR what's going on.  He confirms what the other guy said, the application is or the regular Arrival.  I pushed the issue.  Told him we have a problem then because I wasted an inquiry and through some sort of glitch in their system ended up applying for the wrong card.  He puts me on hold again.  Comes back and apologizes and says it actually is for the Arrival Plus.  He didn't really give me an explanation or anything.  I asked him multiple times to confirm that it is indeed the Arrival Plus and he did.  He was able to approve my application even though I has previously withdrawn. 

Needless to say, I'm nervous about which card is actually going to arrive in my mailbox but I guess we'll see.  For now, I'm told it was an approval for $15K on the Arrival+.  Fingers crossed. 

Message 21 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Ironically, it seemed last year Barclay nerfed the card to try to get rid of churners, but increasing the bonus and adding no new long term benefits is still just going to attract churning, since there is no real benefit to keeping the card year over year with the existence of Double Cash, Blispay, Fidelity, etc.

Barclay really needs to add SOME type of ongoing benefit to this card. Lounge access, some kind of perk. As it sits, there are many better places to spend the $89 annual fee. For $6 more a CSP at least gives you travel transfer capabilities.

But, this is a great sign on offer. I'm just not sold on the card for the long run for most people.

Message 22 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:

Ironically, it seemed last year Barclay nerfed the card to try to get rid of churners, but increasing the bonus and adding no new long term benefits is still just going to attract churning, since there is no real benefit to keeping the card year over year with the existence of Double Cash, Blispay, Fidelity, etc.

Barclay really needs to add SOME type of ongoing benefit to this card. Lounge access, some kind of perk. As it sits, there are many better places to spend the $89 annual fee. For $6 more a CSP at least gives you travel transfer capabilities.

But, this is a great sign on offer. I'm just not sold on the card for the long run for most people.

CSP blows this card out of the water in every possible way.  Min. 500(vs. only travel credit on arrival + and min $100 redemption) cashback or alot more if transferred to partners.  CSP also waived AF for first year as you know.  Also includes primary rental car insurance, etc.  I agree the arrival + needs a big overhaul if they want to compete with other cards out there.  I guess it is an ok card if you want to only keep it for the bonus and first year, after  that there is no real purpose in the card as many bettter cards exist with no AF or as stated things like the CSP for a few more dollars a year.  Granted things like the 5x24 rule can stop you on CSP

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The rise of issuer's new crackdowns on bonus hunting enthusiasts has made this increased sign on without the restrictions of other issues quite attractive. Their increase will attract signons.

5/24

Death of a Red Bird.

Death of Blue Bird

Death of Serve.

8/24, One family bonus/24

One bonus per lifetime +7yrs

Then this guy, one bonus per 6 months.  Ding.

Message 24 of 26
Absolution16
Frequent Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

CSP blows this card out of the water in every possible way.  Min. 500(vs. only travel credit on arrival + and min $100 redemption) cashback or alot more if transferred to partners.  CSP also waived AF for first year as you know.  Also includes primary rental car insurance, etc.  I agree the arrival + needs a big overhaul if they want to compete with other cards out there.  I guess it is an ok card if you want to only keep it for the bonus and first year, after  that there is no real purpose in the card as many bettter cards exist with no AF or as stated things like the CSP for a few more dollars a year.  Granted things like the 5x24 rule can stop you on CSP

I totally agree with this.  The only reasons you would apply for the Barclay Arrival Plus instead of CSP are if you either are above 5/24, blacklisted by Chase, or you already have a CSP.  Even the sign up bonus is much more valuable and nets more flexible and higher cash value.

OP:  Barclay no longer even offers the No-AF Arrival Card on their website anymore.  It is not even listed on their website.  For them to tell you that you applied for that card is ludicrous.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over that card to be honest.  The sign up bonus and even the nerfed 5% back on miles upon redemption are okay, but the minimum travel redemption of $100 totally beats the purpose of that card in my opinion.

Message 25 of 26
rlx01
Established Contributor

There is a specific case where the A+ beats the CSP, and that's international non-bonus spend due to superior MC FX rates.

Also, it supports online C+P transactions at train stations and the like.

This card exists for a very specific reason. Great card to have in your wallet if you travel a lot.
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.