cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays As Your Only Card In Your Wallet...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

Barclays As Your Only Card In Your Wallet...

I would stronly suggest if you want a credit card, and this is your first credit card, do not choose Barclays.

I had my card with them and all was great until Sept 2012.  I sent them 900 bucks to pay on my account and they put a (5) business day hold on that payment.  I made another 900 payment and same thing.  I made another 900 payment and again a (5) business day hold.  At the time all this started, my account was and is in great standing and I never had a returned payment or anything like that.

They would probably be ok to have as a secondary card.  The reason why I say they are not good for someone to get as their primary card is because if you make a payment on your account, then the next day they place a hold on that payment, don't tell you, then you go to dinner that evening, as I did, and that is your only method of payment, they cannot release the hold...you are left washing the dishes.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays As Your Only Card In Your Wallet...

I agree. After never really having them personally. I think they are much hyped. Discover, Chase, AMEX all beats them everytime!

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 2 of 14
kwazziee
Regular Contributor

I was going for them but after hearing this on pultiple post I will not now. Seems stupid to me. I have charge 1K plus and paid in full on all my other cards for years and had never ran into a situation like this before.

Message 3 of 14
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I would not encourage anyone to just have one card. At the least everyone should have two. Any card can have a payment hold or any other problem that would cause you not to be able to use it. That is one of the reasons I carry around a small amount of cash.

Message 4 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Wow...I have paid them $1400 plus in a single payment and never had them hold a payment. But then again, I've only had them eleven months so far. I've also made multiple payments in the month and no hold. I agree with your conclusion though, having only one card is risky if the card decides to do strange things (like hold payments).

Message 5 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

IMO, its really not a good idea to have only one credit card period, whether its barclays or anyone else. You always want backups, preferably 1 of each payment network.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 14
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear, but it is a good example on the need to be diverse in the wallet.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 7 of 14
nbknxf2
Established Member

While I agree with you in principle of having more than one card in your wallet, I do not think Barclays is all that bad.

My experience has been quite different. I have multiple Barclays cards and I use one as my "everyday" card. I always send in multiple payments per billing cycle and have never had any payment placed on hold. Payments as large as $5k were immediately accepted and available on my CL. I have also received multiple CL increases in the first year.

I guess YMMV but they have been good to me.
Message 8 of 14
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Although I agree with your sentiments about not having just one card, I think where you might have erred is paying through their website.  I think you made a similar post previously and someone mentioned pushing a payment through to them from your bank account instead of through their website.  I have made consecutive large payments from Barclays via my bank account and never a hold.  I wouldn't berate Barclays, per se, I just think you should explore all of your payment options to ensure you are making the right one to meet your needs.

Message 9 of 14
dimitrip
Established Member

I agree. So far every payment I have made on my cards have been from my bank account at cap1 and its smooth sailing. Don't think I will ever pay a bill through a creditors website.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.