Established Contributor
Andy77

Barclays As Your Only Card In Your Wallet...

I would stronly suggest if you want a credit card, and this is your first credit card, do not choose Barclays.

I had my card with them and all was great until Sept 2012.  I sent them 900 bucks to pay on my account and they put a (5) business day hold on that payment.  I made another 900 payment and same thing.  I made another 900 payment and again a (5) business day hold.  At the time all this started, my account was and is in great standing and I never had a returned payment or anything like that.

They would probably be ok to have as a secondary card.  The reason why I say they are not good for someone to get as their primary card is because if you make a payment on your account, then the next day they place a hold on that payment, don't tell you, then you go to dinner that evening, as I did, and that is your only method of payment, they cannot release the hold...you are left washing the dishes.

Established Contributor
laboi_22

Re: Barclays As Your Only Card In Your Wallet...

I agree. After never really having them personally. I think they are much hyped. Discover, Chase, AMEX all beats them everytime!

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Regular Contributor
kwazziee

I was going for them but after hearing this on pultiple post I will not now. Seems stupid to me. I have charge 1K plus and paid in full on all my other cards for years and had never ran into a situation like this before.

Valued Contributor
navigatethis12

I would not encourage anyone to just have one card. At the least everyone should have two. Any card can have a payment hold or any other problem that would cause you not to be able to use it. That is one of the reasons I carry around a small amount of cash.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

Wow...I have paid them $1400 plus in a single payment and never had them hold a payment. But then again, I've only had them eleven months so far. I've also made multiple payments in the month and no hold. I agree with your conclusion though, having only one card is risky if the card decides to do strange things (like hold payments).

Mega Contributor
LS2982

IMO, its really not a good idea to have only one credit card period, whether its barclays or anyone else. You always want backups, preferably 1 of each payment network.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
Epcot

Sorry to hear, but it is a good example on the need to be diverse in the wallet.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 816 EX 780 TU 823
App free since 4/11/13
Established Member
nbknxf2

While I agree with you in principle of having more than one card in your wallet, I do not think Barclays is all that bad.

My experience has been quite different. I have multiple Barclays cards and I use one as my "everyday" card. I always send in multiple payments per billing cycle and have never had any payment placed on hold. Payments as large as $5k were immediately accepted and available on my CL. I have also received multiple CL increases in the first year.

I guess YMMV but they have been good to me.
Frequent Contributor
jasimae

Although I agree with your sentiments about not having just one card, I think where you might have erred is paying through their website.  I think you made a similar post previously and someone mentioned pushing a payment through to them from your bank account instead of through their website.  I have made consecutive large payments from Barclays via my bank account and never a hold.  I wouldn't berate Barclays, per se, I just think you should explore all of your payment options to ensure you are making the right one to meet your needs.

Established Member
dimitrip

I agree. So far every payment I have made on my cards have been from my bank account at cap1 and its smooth sailing. Don't think I will ever pay a bill through a creditors website.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}