Did you mean: 

Barclays BT deals went POOF

tag
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclays BT deals went POOF

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe they want you to app for something.

You may be on to something there - they sent BT checks regularly the first couple years I had my Rewards MC, but nothing now for at least a year. I wanted to do a BT transfer to pay off a Prosper loan. So I browsed through their cards on their site and noticed the NFL Extra Points card currently offers a 0% interest for 15 mos. for BTs made within the first 45 days. 3% BT fee, but it also offers a $100 cash back for charging $500 within 90 days, so that would pretty much offset the BT fee for $3780 BT to Prosper.So I apped, approved for $5k SL Less than 3 weeks later bonus spend credit & Propser BT already posted to the account.

(1) BTW, you can see what your current BT offer is when logged into your account - in Account Summary scroll down and you'll see your current BT offer.

(2) My Rewards card shows 22.9% interest & 3% fee. Um, no thanks. But my NFL card shows the 0% 15 mo. offer.

(1) Yes, I know that and keep checking it in vain.

(2) My current offer is slightly worse, the interest is also 22.99% but BT fee is 4%. Why would anyone take them up on that!?

Also, my last CLI was over a year ago.....

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 11 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You may be on to something there - they sent BT checks regularly the first couple years I had my Rewards MC, but nothing now for at least a year. I wanted to do a BT transfer to pay off a Prosper loan. So I browsed through their cards on their site and noticed the NFL Extra Points card currently offers a 0% interest for 15 mos. for BTs made within the first 45 days. 3% BT fee, but it also offers a $100 cash back for charging $500 within 90 days, so that would pretty much offset the BT fee for $3780 BT to Prosper.So I apped, approved for $5k SL Less than 3 weeks later bonus spend credit & Propser BT already posted to the account.

(1) BTW, you can see what your current BT offer is when logged into your account - in Account Summary scroll down and you'll see your current BT offer.

(2) My Rewards card shows 22.9% interest & 3% fee. Um, no thanks. But my NFL card shows the 0% 15 mo. offer.

(2) My current offer is slightly worse, the interest is also 22.99% but BT fee is 4%. Why would anyone take them up on that!?

The BT fee on my Rewards might also be 4%, I was just guessing because with the 22.9% APR no freaking way would I do a BT. I've had the Rewards card since 4/2012 and I was thinking perhaps Barclays just stops offering you promos or auto CLIs after a couple years. Besides no BT offers, after auto CLI'ing my SL of $2500 fairly quickly to $3500 and then $5700, nothing since 8/2014. After the NFL approval I called and got them to move $3k of my Rewards CL to NFL so my BT doesn't push util up over 50% on the card, or over 10% overall, $2700 CL is enough, I get better rewards with Cap 1 QS Sig Visa or Best Buy MC for certain categories...

I wasn't sure if you really wanted to do a BT since in your OP you said you wouldn't even pay a 1% fee. But if you want to do a BT have you considered app'ing for a Ring card? 8% APR with 0 BT fee. Or if you want a 0% APR on a BT, app for the NFL and use the $100 cash back to offset the 3% BT fee. I'm convinced getting a new card from Barclay is the way to get worthwhile offers from them after you've been with them for awhile. Down the road at some point 1'll probably app for Ring and close either Rewards or NFL and transfer the CL.

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CenturyChild wrote:

I just did this and wrote my myself a check.

4 days later the check went into pending status and posted the next day.

It was indeed considered a BT and they gave me the same terms offered with the checks.

No fuss,.

So, either that particular rep was misinformed, or not every set of checks can be used in this manner.

Look at the checks they send you. Somewhere on the letter they send that decribes the terms, it details what you can use the offer for. Mine specuifcally said "Write Yourself a Check" as one of the options.

so you have no promo APR on purchases but a new promo APR on BT only? 

Gee whiz.. that opens things up... especially with the checks.

How many months was the BT promo?

Message 13 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I am being inundated with BT checks from Barclays and today they send me an email trying to get me to accept a BT by deposit directly to my checking account. I dont intend on using any of the offers, better deals with other banks/CUs.

Message 14 of 24
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

Until recently they would frequently send me BT checks offering 1% BT fee + 0% interest.

But...

It has now been months since they sent me anything.

I've shredded dozens of their BT checks b/c I don't like paying even a 1% fee.

It was nice to have the option tho.

And I'm feeling a just little bit hurt.

They send you BT offers but you never use them due to the fee. You stop getting the offer and now you feel some

tyoe of way. 

What a waste of a thread !!!! GTFOOHWTBS

Message 15 of 24
pazuzu
Frequent Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@pazuzu wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The BT fee on my Rewards might also be 4%, I was just guessing because with the 22.9% APR no freaking way would I do a BT. I've had the Rewards card since 4/2012 and I was thinking perhaps Barclays just stops offering you promos or auto CLIs after a couple years. Besides no BT offers, after auto CLI'ing my SL of $2500 fairly quickly to $3500 and then $5700, nothing since 8/2014. After the NFL approval I called and got them to move $3k of my Rewards CL to NFL so my BT doesn't push util up over 50% on the card, or over 10% overall, $2700 CL is enough, I get better rewards with Cap 1 QS Sig Visa or Best Buy MC for certain categories...

I wasn't sure if you really wanted to do a BT since in your OP you said you wouldn't even pay a 1% fee. But if you want to do a BT have you considered app'ing for a Ring card? 8% APR with 0 BT fee. Or if you want a 0% APR on a BT, app for the NFL and use the $100 cash back to offset the 3% BT fee. I'm convinced getting a new card from Barclay is the way to get worthwhile offers from them after you've been with them for awhile. Down the road at some point 1'll probably app for Ring and close either Rewards or NFL and transfer the CL.

I think so too. 

But I'm puzzled as to why they WON'T give a CLI on an existing acct, but WILL approve a 2nd card.

No apps/new accts since 2011

***FICO EXPERIAN 830***
***FICO EQUIFAX 828***
***FICO TRANSUNION 822***

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pazuzu wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@pazuzu wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think so too. 

But I'm puzzled as to why they WON'T give a CLI on an existing acct, but WILL approve a 2nd card.

Apply and find out.

Message 17 of 24
taxi818
Super Contributor

I also wonder in my case. as i got cli in 3 months of having card. but if i app for 2nd barclays card it will not even do hp. auto deny. im not sure if that still is case. but it was in january.

not sure how to find out without actuall doing a app. also. i did notice. 22.99 percent bt offer. with 4percent fee. no thanks. don't call me i will call you. Smiley Frustrated and they have option to order some cash advance checks if i want. what. at 26.99 percent interest and no grace period. double no thanks.

Message 18 of 24
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@pazuzu wrote:

Until recently they would frequently send me BT checks offering 1% BT fee + 0% interest.

But...

It has now been months since they sent me anything.

I've shredded dozens of their BT checks b/c I don't like paying even a 1% fee.

It was nice to have the option tho.

And I'm feeling a just little bit hurt.

It's like a see saw -- up and down.  Perhaps, your latest checks came to me, jk.  Actually, just got 4 checks from them.  The first 2 checks are blue and are good for 0% till 7/2016 with a 1% fee.  The other 2 checks are white and are good for 0% till 10/15 with a 3% fee.   This is the first time they offered me checks, besides the opening 18 months of 0% which it's still in since I got the card 8/14. 

Granted, this is after my decline for the US Airways card and they didn't increase my limit after 6 months either, nor would they let me take 1k from my WMC to open an additional card.  (Raises fists in the air towards the GODS of credit)Smiley Mad   The cards in my sig are cards received after their decline.Smiley Very Happy

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 19 of 24
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I am being inundated with BT checks from Barclays and today they send me an email trying to get me to accept a BT by deposit directly to my checking account. I dont intend on using any of the offers, better deals with other banks/CUs.

Just wondering where can you get a better deal than 1% BT fee and 0% interest till july 2016?

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.