Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Bandits strike again

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: Barclays Bandits strike again

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Did you utiliation go up significantly on your other cards?  Obviously Barclay's SP's you and probably saw either alot of new account or a utiliation spike is my guess.  Sorry to here OP

+1 probably baseing it off your entire profile. like too many new accounts maybe not directly from the actions of the barclays card itself. but who knows. i just know at this point. i fear no lender. if they give me AA. time to close and move on. any of them. no matter who.

Message 11 of 33
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@zarteycranford wrote:

I have been with Barclays for two years. I did a BT onto my ring card and bam CLD. Frontier mastercard 3000 down to 1000 Ring 4000 down to 1800. No change in credit report just a BT to Ring card. no rhyme no reason they got spooked over BT because it was 36% of tradeline. Never had a problem up until now. Why give me 4000 limit then freak out when I use some of it. I have heard stories and was a non believer up until now. I have always revolved these cards showed heavy use payed in full each month. The one time I pull over a balance it becomes an issue. They sent me a letter stating avaliable credit on existing tradelines too high. LOL nothing has changed just an excuse to make me another Barclays Bandit victom.                                                           FICOS  EXP 739  TRANS 746  EQ 738

That's the key sentence.

I've been with Barclays 2 years as well... and got Sallie Mae a few months ago.  I've done a couple BT's... most recently last month for $3k to go with the heavy usage on the $6700 limit.

I sent them 3 payments last month... each over $500 to cover the usage.  The BT is 0% till April 2016 so I'll pay that whenever.  

No AA as of yet...  I don't have $100k in available credit floating around either though.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 12 of 33
myjourney
Super Contributor

@zarteycranford wrote:

I have been with Barclays for two years. I did a BT onto my ring card and bam CLD. Frontier mastercard 3000 down to 1000 Ring 4000 down to 1800. No change in credit report just a BT to Ring card. no rhyme no reason they got spooked over BT because it was 36% of tradeline. Never had a problem up until now. Why give me 4000 limit then freak out when I use some of it. I have heard stories and was a non believer up until now. I have always revolved these cards showed heavy use payed in full each month. The one time I pull over a balance it becomes an issue. They sent me a letter stating avaliable credit on existing tradelines too high. LOL nothing has changed just an excuse to make me another Barclays Bandit victom.                                                           FICOS  EXP 739  TRANS 746  EQ 738

Sorry it happened to you OP

Not that this is what caused your situation but Barclay as well as others can learn valuable info through a SP 

Such as and not limited to: 

How many new accounts within a certain time frame

Is the amount of the BT being moved around from bank to bank for long periods of time while making min. payments and utilizing a 0% time frame. Only to move to another bank when the 0% is close to ending. (AKA pyramiding debt) 

Balances and payments across all lenders 

So I've always been more interested in what may have caused this so we all have a better picture of the events leading up to this and steering clear of AA/CLD

So I have some questions if you don't mind.

Limits and UTL across all accounts?

New accounts and INQ's in the last 6 months?

If you have balances on a other cards are you making more than min. payments?

Thanks 

I truly don't think the CLD was a result of a BT but as was stated in the letter balances on other accounts along with the BT IMHO 

Hope things workout for the best 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 33
Bman70
Established Contributor

I almost never take these "Barclay unprovoked AA" threads seriously, because the posters rarely give a full disclosure of their file or their behavior. This doesn't mean they aren't telling the truth, from their own perspective. But computers, which make most AA decisions (or at least flags), use a specific criteria and it has to do with perceived riskier profiles. I have no idea what criteria that is.. minimum payments, pyramiding debt, thin file, many inquiries, overall available credit to income ratio, old baddies, bouncing a balance around 0% cards for a long time, etc.. But I definitely don't fear AA without basis from Barclay or any other creditor. 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 14 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

I almost never take these "Barclay unprovoked AA" threads seriously, because the posters rarely give a full disclosure of their file or their behavior. This doesn't mean they aren't telling the truth, from their own perspective. But computers, which make most AA decisions (or at least flags), use a specific criteria and it has to do with perceived riskier profiles. I have no idea what criteria that is.. minimum payments, pyramiding debt, thin file, many inquiries, overall available credit to income ratio, old baddies, bouncing a balance around 0% cards for a long time, etc.. But I definitely don't fear AA without basis from Barclay or any other creditor. 

While I agree, I do underand the concerns of such posters in SOME circumstances!   If the reasons for he AA are just too subtle, or seem way too sensitive, then the complaint that bank A is too....  sort of make sense.  Especially if bank A is the only one taking AA on the basis of global things, like utilization and new credit seeking.

But yes, "AA for no reason" doesn't happen.  It can just be the reason is wrong, because of data errors, but more often it is either the poster is unaware that that issuer percieves certain hehavor as risky, or the poster (pointlessly) disagrees that the AA was merited.

Message 15 of 33
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

They are weird.. I asked for a HP CLI-denied. A few days later, they increased my CL by $500..

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 33
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Hang in there OP just be patient and pay down your utilization, Barclays can be forgiving just exercise patience and you will be rewarded.

Message 17 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dwz55 wrote:

Barclay is weird I maxed my card out for 6 months was at 99% ultilization then they go and double my credit line, yet I hear about people only gong to 20-25% and getting CLD. So weird

same story with amex. carried a massive balance on my clear card, $11,000 out of $13,500, for 5 months. was only paying $250 a month because the APR was 0%. they went ahead and increased my line to 20k when i paid it off. 

Message 18 of 33
Bman70
Established Contributor

There's another possible clue in the statement, "I have always revolved these cards, showed heavy use payed in full each month. The one time I pull over a balance it becomes an issue." After a long track record of PIF, a sudden change to carrying 36% util might simply have triggered the computer's algorithm. Sudden changes in spending activity are sometimes interpreted as a flag. This is why I always carry balances of some amount or other.. I never paid in full for years, and got CLIs! 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 19 of 33
zarteycranford
Regular Contributor

Like I said nothing changed util 1% across all cards balance actualy dropped before op.

Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.