Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Cards

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Barclays Cards

Why do so many people want Barclays cards. What kind of score do you need? How hard is it to go a card by them?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclays Cards

@corymcd88 wrote:

Why do so many people want Barclays cards. What kind of score do you need? How hard is it to go a card by them?

Other than the fact that they are the 7th largest bank in the World?

Some of their cards give the best rewards for certain categories/types of spenders.

Its possible to apply for multiples of the same card. People that apply for sign-up bonuses like that.

If you actually use their cards regularly and your credit limit is rather low, Barclays will give you a limit increase. without having to ask. Without HPing your credit reports.

They, along with Discover, are tolerant of Baddies in the past and lower credit scores. they will give you a chance, and you aren't stuck with the initial low credit limit (see previous point).

If you burned a bunch of creditors in the past,  you probably didn't burn Barclays, since they started by buying the Lehman brothers assets about 10 or so years back. So they are fresh meat...

Or... Just read these "Why Barclays" posts:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Why-Barclays/m-p/1272815/highlight/true#M354201

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Why-Barclays-Card/m-p/1105016/highlight/true#M308446

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 22
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

Some of their cards give the best rewards for certain categories/types of spenders.

Its possible to apply for multiples of the same card. People that apply for sign-up bonuses like that.

If you actually use their cards regularly and your credit limit is rather low, Barclays will give you a limit increase. without having to ask. Without HPing your credit reports.

They, along with Discover, are tolerant of Baddies in the past and lower credit scores. they will give you a chance, and you aren't stuck with the initial low credit limit (see previous point).

If you burned a bunch of creditors in the past,  you probably didn't burn Barclays, since they started by buying the Lehman brothers assets about 10 or so years back. So they are fresh meat...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Why-Barclays/m-p/1272815/highlight/true#M354201

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Why-Barclays-Card/m-p/1105016/highlight/true#M308446

Discover is OK with past baddies? I had one CO and one Collection from '10 and they said no.

Message 3 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@corymcd88 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

Discover is OK with past baddies? I had one CO and one Collection from '10 and they said no.

Probably too recent....they seem to be more forgiving with older ones.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 22
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@corymcd88 wrote:

Probably too recent....they seem to be more forgiving with older ones.

What is the score range for Barclays adv credit?

Message 5 of 22
Shelly313
New Contributor

I got the Barclays card with 608 TU score, with charge offs and 2 paid collections and 1 unpaid at the time.  I got a 500.00 limit and then they increased it too 2k after 5 months automatically.

i just got my discover it with charge offs in 09 and 3 PAID collections.  I have no idea what my equifax score is, I will let you know.

Started Gardening 4/3/2014

Current Score: (04/2014) EX: 629 I TU: 650 I EQ: 654

In my Wallet:
Barclays NFL: $2000 I VS: $700 I Discover: $1600 I AU: Amex ED $2000
Message 6 of 22
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Not sure what the score range is but, I got instant approval with them and was 670 or within just a couple points.

They are a bit INQ and New account sensitive though.

But it seems, and was the case for me, so long as you have no more than 2 INQ in last 6 months you are OK.
  I had had 2 InQ in last 6 and 2 new accounts in last 6 when I applied.

As always YMMV.  I watched my mother apply for one a couple months after a app spree and she had 4 new accounts (2 were major CCs) and 5 INQs in last 6 months and got a instant approval.  But she has a longer AAoA than me too so maybe that was it.

I've also seen some get denied with 3 INQs with the reason being too many Inquiries so .......

But, if you are in somewhat decent shape with no very recent lates, 2 or less on the INQ and Accounts in last 6m you should be fine applying with Barclay.

Message 7 of 22
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Barclays cards have really good rewards, for example I have the old Priceline card that is 2% cash back for all purchases. Also their online system is really user friendly and the cash back redemption is effortless.

Message 8 of 22
Shelly313
New Contributor

@CenturyChild wrote:

Not sure what the score range is but, I got instant approval with them and was 670 or within just a couple points.

But it seems, and was the case for me, so long as you have no more than 2 INQ in last 6 months you are OK.

As always YMMV.  I watched my mother apply for one a couple months after a app spree and she had 4 new accounts (2 were major CCs) and 5 INQs in last 6 months and got a instant approval.  But she has a longer AAoA than me too so maybe that was it.

I've also seen some get denied with 3 INQs with the reason being too many Inquiries so .......

But, if you are in somewhat decent shape with no very recent lates, 2 or less on the INQ and Accounts in last 6m you should be fine applying with Barclay.

+1   They do soft pull you a lot, so you also don't want to go on an app spree otherwise they may have second thoughts.

Started Gardening 4/3/2014

Current Score: (04/2014) EX: 629 I TU: 650 I EQ: 654

In my Wallet:
Barclays NFL: $2000 I VS: $700 I Discover: $1600 I AU: Amex ED $2000
Message 9 of 22
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@CenturyChild wrote:

I have three new accounts.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.