Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Cash Rewards

tag
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

Barclays Cash Rewards

I have a Barclays Cash Rewards Credit Card I got about 2 years ago. I was giving a starting limit of $2500 bcuz my credit was fair. I have a lot more credit worthiness and higher limit cards, including a U Promise card by Barclays/Synchrony Bank. When I asked for a credit limit increase, I was denied because the agent told me I was acquiring too much credit at one time and was jus rewarded the UPromise card, they didn't see why I was asking for more money on the card in question 😑

My utilization is high but once it's back down my score should shoot back up to 750. My question is, does anyone know how high the credit limit can go on this card? I'm aware that some cards are designed for lower credit scores and because of that, the apr is usually stuck at high levels and the credit limit may not go over a certain amount. Anyone else have this card? What kind of credit limits or apr do y'all have with this card?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Cash Rewards

Are you talking about the cash forward card or the rewards cards? 

Message 2 of 7
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

Cash Rewards Card
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry....not familiar with that card. Maybe someone else can chime in. 

Message 4 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@odjohnson3 wrote:
I have a Barclays Cash Rewards Credit Card I got about 2 years ago. I was giving a starting limit of $2500 bcuz my credit was fair. I have a lot more credit worthiness and higher limit cards, including a U Promise card by Barclays/Synchrony Bank. When I asked for a credit limit increase, I was denied because the agent told me I was acquiring too much credit at one time and was jus rewarded the UPromise card, they didn't see why I was asking for more money on the card in question 😑

My utilization is high but once it's back down my score should shoot back up to 750. My question is, does anyone know how high the credit limit can go on this card? I'm aware that some cards are designed for lower credit scores and because of that, the apr is usually stuck at high levels and the credit limit may not go over a certain amount. Anyone else have this card? What kind of credit limits or apr do y'all have with this card?

I've had the Rewards MC since April 2012. It was designed for lower credit scores as it was my 2nd unsecured CC after my 2010 BK7. I got it up to $5700 through auto CLIs, I think the SL was around $1500. It is NOT a card on which you want to carry a balance because 1) Barclays' high APRs. Mine was at 23.99% and I got them to lower it to 19.99% and they acted like it was a Big effing Deal, I was just trying to get a SP CLI by calling in and asking for any special offers; my lowest CC APR is 11.25 from a local CU and I won't carry a balance on it. But also 2) it's very easy to use it as a 2% rewards card on utilities, gas & groceries. I pay my utility bills with it, never use it for gas as I have a 3% gas card, and use it for "groceries" wherever my Amex BCE won't give me 3% - Barclays codes any purchase at my Walmart & Family Dollar as "groceries".

Since the Rewards MC has been closed to new apps for a couple years now Barclays may be tighter on CLIs on it than other cards. But if you have some "extra" CL on that UPromise Barclays' Exec Office is very accommodating with moving CLs between cards. My Rewards MC was down to $3k CL from oving CLs around, now it's $6k from moving some CL from my Cashforward to it.

Message 5 of 7
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for the reply. If the discontinued, the card application, it's no wonder no one has heard of it lol. I don't want to close it tho, since it does have 2 years history on it. What I will do is ask for soft pull increases. Last year I asked for an app reduction literally 20 mins after my credit limit increase request (I had never even hung up the phone)

And was told, a different department handles that, and it would cost me an additional hard pull. 2 hard pulls and no change

I do understand the concept of moving credit around but I don't think I'd wanna move too much from a better card unless I know they'll grant it back or give me more upon request. I. Not sure how to Gage that. Walmart (which is through Synchrony bank) has been really easy going with credit limit increases. Barclay Card, idk, it jus seems like pulling teeth. I haven't asked about my UPromise card, maybe it's jus the cash rewards card.
Message 6 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

UPromise has been closed to new apps for some time as well, even their Cashforward card just introduced in 2016 is closed to new apps. All Barclays has now is pretty much co-branded cards - travel, Apple & Uber. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.