cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays: Combining limits with a balance?

tag
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

Barclays: Combining limits with a balance?

Does anyone know if Barclays allows you to combine CL if one or both cards have a balance?  I'd like to close Arrival+ and move the CL to my Sallie Mae.  As of today, I have $900/$6600 on the Sallie Mae and $500/$8500 on the Arrival+.  Can I do it today, or should I wait until one or both are paid down to $0 (probably August 1)?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays: Combining limits with a balance?

I have moved CL before but not combined with balances on both. From my Ring to my Aviator.
Message 2 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You may have to wait, as the APRs are likely different, and they usually want a 0 balance on cards you're consolidating.

Message 3 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

Does anyone know if Barclays allows you to combine CL if one or both cards have a balance?  I'd like to close Arrival+ and move the CL to my Sallie Mae.  As of today, I have $900/$6600 on the Sallie Mae and $500/$8500 on the Arrival+.  Can I do it today, or should I wait until one or both are paid down to $0 (probably August 1)?

you have to have a zero balance on the card you are transfering the limit from if you are going to transfer all the limit. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dw4250 wrote:

Any account that has to be combine must have a zero balance.  This does not only apply to Barclays but all banks that allow credit lines to be combined.

Message 5 of 11
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

Any account that has to be combine must have a zero balance.  This does not only apply to Barclays but all banks that allow credit lines to be combined.

DO both accounts have to be at $0 or just the account being closed/merged?  For example if I'm closing the Arrival+ and moving the CL to Sallie Mae, do they both need to be at $0 or just the Arrival?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dw4250 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Dw4250 wrote:

DO both accounts have to be at $0 or just the account being closed/merged?  For example if I'm closing the Arrival+ and moving the CL to Sallie Mae, do they both need to be at $0 or just the Arrival?

Yes.  They both have to be at a $0 balance.

Message 7 of 11
tdj

It is not necessarily true that both accounts must not have a balance. Yesterday I was able to combine two accounts (a heavily used Rewards with a balance and a rarely used Apple with no balance) and had no problems. I have had the accounts for nearly two years.

I called the 24-hour backdoor number, not customer service.

711 TU / 693 EX / 675 EQ // $10,000 Cap1 Venture, $5,200 Barclaycard Rewards, $5,000 Citi Diamond Preferred, $4,900 Amex Costco, $4,500 BBVA NBA, $4,400 Citi TYP, $4,000 Amazon Store, $3,000 Cap1 QS, $3,000 Commerce Bank, $3,000 US Bank Platinum, $3,000 NTB, $2,600 Walmart Store, $2,150 VS Angel, $2,000 Chase Amazon, $1,500 Discover IT, $1,100 Toys R Us, $1,000 Amex Delta SM, $1,000 Cap1 QS1, $700 Target, $700 Brylane Home, $650 Upromise Sallie Mae, $650 J. Jill, $250 American Eagle
Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I actually combined lmits somehow along time ago with a approx 30$ pending charge.. they let me go through with it, but rules might of changed?  Just paid it off a few days later being the balance on the closed account.  This was about 5 months ago or so?  Maybe cause it was pending?

So just saw posters response above mine and he was able to do it, guess it is a YMMV type of thing and the analyst you get?

Message 9 of 11
tdj

I called a long time ago, not too long after I opened both cards, and they wouldn't do it then. I am sure I probably had a balance on the Rewards then as I've used it for daily spend for ages, but they didn't cite it as a reason then. Just "no, sorry, can't do that."

I don't know if the different answer this time was a function of calling the backdoor instead of customer service, or if it was because the accounts are now much older, or perhaps even they stayed gunshy about combining after the Juniper disaster several years ago (their automated underwriting malfunctioned and was giving people without the score or income to support it $20k limits on several cards, which they were then calling and combining for monster limits -- they were very difficult to combine for a long time after that, as I understand it) and perhaps they have loosened up a bit lately.

711 TU / 693 EX / 675 EQ // $10,000 Cap1 Venture, $5,200 Barclaycard Rewards, $5,000 Citi Diamond Preferred, $4,900 Amex Costco, $4,500 BBVA NBA, $4,400 Citi TYP, $4,000 Amazon Store, $3,000 Cap1 QS, $3,000 Commerce Bank, $3,000 US Bank Platinum, $3,000 NTB, $2,600 Walmart Store, $2,150 VS Angel, $2,000 Chase Amazon, $1,500 Discover IT, $1,100 Toys R Us, $1,000 Amex Delta SM, $1,000 Cap1 QS1, $700 Target, $700 Brylane Home, $650 Upromise Sallie Mae, $650 J. Jill, $250 American Eagle
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.